Web question.

jason

If we setup a WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki) on the NSPN site would that be of value.

Do you think that you would be willing to contribute?

Article could be posted with pictures for example the short tow topic could turn into a great wiki page with people posting examples of how to to create one etc.

Thanks -Jason

If we setup a WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki) on the NSPN site would that be of value.

Article could be posted with pictures for example the short tow topic could turn into a great wiki page with people posting examples of how to to create one etc.

Thanks -Jason

Typically collaborative wikis do not do well for groups whose members are not technically inclined. One problem is general technical inertia and avoidance.

But a big specific issue is the editor that comes with all non-commercial wikis -- including media wiki -- either uses text with cryptic markup or has a very primitive wysiwig interface. If you go with the text, then you pretty much cut out anybody with the even the least tech-resistance, and even many geeks who find editing with such tools to be tedious.

Yeah, I know that this message board uses mostly straight text (plus those annoying animated emoticons). But board posts are very short, simple pieces with little need for formatting or fancy layout. The same cannot be generally said for wiki articles.

Another impediment to widespread usage is the need for cross-links and organization, at least if you really want to capitalize on the beauty of wikis. Most people do not want to worry about things like that.

The most successful wiki projects have a small cadre of editors who are enthusiastic enough to suffer the editing hassles and to put energy into articles, links and structure, not to mention cleaning up after other folks. So your best bet is to get up-front commitments from a core of folks willing to play those roles.

My $000.02, from experience.

Thanks -Jason

me noe teknikly mynded....keep bored.

I could see converting something like the Put-ins/Directions page to a Wiki format, to make it easier for more members to expand/update.

However, the board should remain our primary web presence. Besides, I like animated emoticons! :wub:

I could see converting something like the Put-ins/Directions page to a Wiki format, to make it easier for more members to expand/update.

However, the board should remain our primary web presence. Besides, I like animated emoticons! :wub:

I wasn't thinking of replacing the message board just adding to it..

The Put-ins would be a great example of something that we can do with the wiki.

I wasn't thinking of replacing the message board just adding to it..

The Put-ins would be a great example of something that we can do with the wiki.

Hey, Jason -- go ahead and try it. It's not terribly hard to put up MediaWiki.

Write an introductory article yourself, a bit of structure (header pages for put-ins, maybe a couple more such as trip levels, for starters) and write a couple of put-in pages yourself to show how it's done. I'll pitch in a couple too, though I can't make any long-term commitments. People might contribute local info on put-ins, like best times, parking gotchas, nearest bathrooms, etc.

I love wikis!

--David