navigation classes--share cost

Lbeale

Would anyone be interested in sharing the cost of attending Adam's B. advanced navigation workshops: crossing currents and tides, and/or special situations--look to the events classified section of this message board for more info on these classes. I am looking for a couple of other people to share cost--if interested, you can email: lbeale at spfldcol dot edu. les

leslie -

the principles that adam would have to cover in cursory format will be covered over a period of 6-8 weeks and in depth by the coasties. the coastie course does cater to sail and powerboaters but the principles that they teach are easilly transferred to kayaking with as little as a hand compass and a piece of string.

given the scope of the topic and the time contraints adam would face in a half day class, you would get a broader, more in depth understanding of basic navigation from the coasties. the price is comparable to what adam is offering and the classes are once a week at night.

if you google the local auxillary office, they will no doubt be able to offer details.

Since Rick brought them up, here's the links to local USCG Auxillary classes and US Power Squadron classes. Essentially costs for either org's classes wash out to the same costs, once you buy their materials ($35 for the book, for starters.)

Here are the links:

USPower Squadron:

http://www.usps.org/localusps/d12/

local USCG Auxillary:

http://www.flotilla38.homestead.com/BSS.html

While both organizations teach excellent courses (I took the auxillary's course quite some time ago) they require significant time committments: 6 to 8 weeks, once a week at night. Also, of the six to eight modules each organization teaches, only one, navigation, could really be said to apply to kayakers (and even that would be a stretch.) The rest deal with fuel safety, buoyage, fuel consumption, and the like --- skills applicable only to power boaters or those who haven't bought a power or sail boat and are still thinking about it.

Moreover, both courses don't do anything to bring the principles of navigation down to the kayak foredeck level. Instead, the classes use tools and data and tables that are appropriate almost only on boats that have sit-down nav stations: a desk, a chair, a calculator. (If you can fit all that stuff into your cockpit, well, wow!)

Bottom line is, although they're good classes for beginner big-boaters , they're not geared enough to kayakers to bring the skills home to our level. And that's a lot of time, too, eight weeks, to commit to just in order to be able to attend the one or two classes that, only at a stretch, are relevant to kayakers, and then only remotely so.

As for the classes I'll be teaching being cursory, well, that's a tough one to assess --- but I'm not sure you can judge a class you haven't taken.

Anyhow, anyone who wants to assess what I'm teaching with what the other guys are teaching only has to follow the links above.

I am enrolled in the Coast Guard Auxilliary Basic Navigation course right now, and I would tend to agree with Adam. I think I actually picked up more information that was pertinent to kayaking from the 2 nights of navigation class held at Suz's place. Not having much experience, I find I really have to sort through the information to see how I can apply some of it. Incorporating tides and currents into trip planning won't be covered in the basic, and there does not seem to be an advanced course available to civilians. I am not saying that the class is not helpful, I just don't think that it is the most time-efficient approach to learning kayak navigation.

Constance

I'd have to second Constance's assessment. I looked into the Coast Guard course and for several reasons decided against taking it. In my opinion, overall cost, time committment and lack of a kayak focus were the primary factors. I took Adam's introductory class when it was offered at Seacoast kayak and if you like to approach that was used in the workshops offered as Suz's place over the winter, Adam's method will fit right in with it.

Kevin