Anyone out their that does x-treame paddleing ?

Ken Duval

I am an avid paddler of the Plum island area ( ma.) and am looking to find kayakers whom are adventurous, and not just in the sport for only novelty products and rescue tecniques. Is there anyone out there that just want's to let loose and re- define the elderly A.M.C. etiquette of paddleing? This is about kayaking not socializing and meeting new people to the sport. this can be done on Harmony.com

Why not post a trip and see? Then we'll know more precisely what sort of paddling trip you are suggesting. We may all feel like we are letting loose and redefining the elderly etiquette, from our own points of view. What is your point of view?

Kate

Why not post a trip and see? Then we'll know more precisely what sort of paddling trip you are suggesting. We may all feel like we are letting loose and redefining the elderly etiquette, from our own points of view. What is your point of view?

Kate

I am new to the NSPN. I reviewed what I could on the message board or posts but couldn't find any trips in the Cape Ann area other than calm- distant paddles in protected harbors.What prompted me to post this note is that after returning from Plum Island last weekend, I wondered why I never see another kayaker. I stop by Pavilion Beach on the Essex Bay of Ipswich and was suprised at the coming and going of fellow kayakers. Posted on the board was a NSPN flyer looking for new people to the sport, whom want to meet a barn in Topsfield? I think this is great if it is yor type of thing. I was just hoping to find local kayakers whom like to play in open water storm surf, where any self rescue tecknique other then a roll wouldn't work anyways. I value your suggestion and will take the inniative as the spring tides increase. The only post I have made before was looking for a paddler for Plum Island trips and I reeived no response.

I am new to the NSPN. I reviewed what I could on the message board or posts but couldn't find any trips in the Cape Ann area other than calm- distant paddles in protected harbors.What prompted me to post this note is that after returning from Plum Island last weekend, I wondered why I never see another kayaker. I stop by Pavilion Beach on the Essex Bay of Ipswich and was suprised at the coming and going of fellow kayakers. Posted on the board was a NSPN flyer looking for new people to the sport, whom want to meet a barn in Topsfield? I think this is great if it is yor type of thing. I was just hoping to find local kayakers whom like to play in open water storm surf, where any self rescue tecknique other then a roll wouldn't work anyways. I value your suggestion and will take the inniative as the spring tides increase. The only post I have made before was looking for a paddler for Plum Island trips and I reeived no response.

I sure can't speak for everyone, but for me it's only just barely the end of ski season and the boats aren't coming out of storage until the skis are put away. There are a number of NSPN folks who enjoy kayak surfing and rough water trips. I suspect that these trips tend to get arranged offline, with people who know and trust one another's skills. So... NOTE TO YOU OFFLINE FOLKS: let in some new blood. Post trips on the board now and again!

And Ken, keep posting your trips (and trip reports). I hope to join you one of these days. I'm on the south shore but love Plum Island. Perhaps you'll come down to New Inlet or Sakonnet sometime and try our south shore surf....

Kate

I sure can't speak for everyone, but for me it's only just barely the end of ski season and the boats aren't coming out of storage until the skis are put away. There are a number of NSPN folks who enjoy kayak surfing and rough water trips. I suspect that these trips tend to get arranged offline, with people who know and trust one another's skills. So... NOTE TO YOU OFFLINE FOLKS: let in some new blood. Post trips on the board now and again!

And Ken, keep posting your trips (and trip reports). I hope to join you one of these days. I'm on the south shore but love Plum Island. Perhaps you'll come down to New Inlet or Sakonnet sometime and try our south shore surf....

Kate

Kate- I will keep you in mind for a future paddle. On a seperate note I am heading down to New York Kayak Co. on the Hudson today . I am picking up a new rough-water/ surf boat called x-treme by Tiderace. I never paddled anything like it. Google-search it for pictures and specs, for it has just become avalable here in the U.S.After 10 hrs of driving time, I will have to wait for Friday to take it out.

Happy Paddleing!

Hi Ken, wow you are a real person. Initially I thought the first post was some kind of spam.

Well, Kate is right. Most paddlers are just coming out of hibernation but there is a group that paddles every Tuesday out of Seabrook to play in the surf. I think they might chime in to let you know when they start again.

Hi Ken, wow you are a real person. Initially I thought the first post was some kind of spam.

Well, Kate is right. Most paddlers are just coming out of hibernation but there is a group that paddles every Tuesday out of Seabrook to play in the surf. I think they might chime in to let you know when they start again.

Thanks for the response. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but my post seems to be getting interest brewing. For anyone reading this post, Ikayak pretty much 4 out of 5 mornings throughout the week ( As parking becomes more of an issue later on)if anyone wants to pair up. As mentioned on the last thread I am purchasing a new radical rough- water sea-kayak called a Tiderace X-treme to repace a Valley Pintail. The Pintail will be for sale for half the price of a new one if anyones interested. It is less than 1 yr old.

Welcome to NSPN Ken. There is a wide variety of paddlers here, with many of abilities that you ascribe to. Initially I thought, "wow, does Ken swing from the branches as he goes hiking or does he just walk the trail?", but at least we know exactly what you seek. Stay tuned for the surf sessions.

Thanks for the response. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but my post seems to be getting interest brewing. For anyone reading this post, Ikayak pretty much 4 out of 5 mornings throughout the week ( As parking becomes more of an issue later on)if anyone wants to pair up. As mentioned on the last thread I am purchasing a new radical rough- water sea-kayak called a Tiderace X-treme to repace a Valley Pintail. The Pintail will be for sale for half the price of a new one if anyones interested. It is less than 1 yr old.

Welcome to NSPN Ken. There is a wide variety of paddlers here, with many of abilities that you ascribe to. Initially I thought, "wow, does Ken swing from the branches as he goes hiking or does he just walk the trail?", but at least we know exactly what you seek. Stay tuned for the surf sessions.

The best ocean surf is in the winter when there is a strong North-east wind. The surf has been great this winter. The summer months usually don't get the strong North east winds or as many ocean storms. It's almost like night and day

I agree, this is true. Sadly. I try to catch surf days on the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) with an occasional summer hurricane adding interest. Also, tide races can keep one going during the summer. Hence New Inlet and Plum Island. Also, I am not a tree-swinger nor a big-wave surfer, nor particularly skilled. I just like kayak-surfing, when I can manage it.

I'll be curious to hear how you like the Tiderace kayak. I demoed their Xplore. Very fine boat. Ultra price too, unfortunately.

I agree, this is true. Sadly. I try to catch surf days on the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) with an occasional summer hurricane adding interest. Also, tide races can keep one going during the summer. Hence New Inlet and Plum Island. Also, I am not a tree-swinger nor a big-wave surfer, nor particularly skilled. I just like kayak-surfing, when I can manage it.

I'll be curious to hear how you like the Tiderace kayak. I demoed their Xplore. Very fine boat. Ultra price too, unfortunately.

Hi Kate- Iget valley kayaks discountd 20% off retail and can get the new Tiderace's discounted as well. It is unfortunate that they can't be shipped over state lines because of dealership wars. Tiderace in Europe monitor where and whom get the boats, and sets it's priority dealer's from that. I will have to get the word out to people whom are interested in future purchases.

Big Apple here I come! Take care

Ken, as others have mentioned, there are quite a few NSPN folks who love to play in surf, tide races, and other rough waters. Also several Tide Race owners in our midst. The reason so many L2 trips are posted so early this year may be because NSPN is sometimes perceived as typically doing more L3 type trips. And we want to be inclusive and encourage skill development among new and old members alike. You'll also likely discover many gear geeks and those who practice rescues of all types regularly among us. While many of us love adventure on the high seas, good decision making skills, safety gear and multiple rescue techniques are essential ingredients for safe paddling in those rougher conditions. Totally agree there are some situations such as surf where self rescues and rolls are the best rescues. Then again, "we are all in between swims.". Welcome to NSPN-hope you enjoy some of the surf sessions and paddles!

The best ocean surf is in the winter when there is a strong North-east wind. The surf has been great this winter. The summer months usually don't get the strong North east winds or as many ocean storms. It's almost like night and day

Perhaps true, but Tux is only in when there is snow, so the winter is for skiing and the dry suit gets only limited use. Hurricane season is when the kayak gets the most play. I'd be up for some bump this weekend, but things are looking pretty flat and I've failed to find any that is worth the drive.

Cheers!

Ty

I took note that you paddle a Anus- Acuta. It is still my boat of choice in rough conditions, that I use most of the winter. Check out the new Tiderace X-treme on a google search. I will be paddleing it on Friday for the first time, other then a flat water demo on the other side of the pond(in Norway last year)The specs. are very close to the Anus, but check out the rocker and flattened hull!

I took note that you paddle a Anus- Acuta. It is still my boat of choice in rough conditions, that I use most of the winter. Check out the new Tiderace X-treme on a google search. I will be paddleing it on Friday for the first time, other then a flat water demo on the other side of the pond(in Norway last year)The specs. are very close to the Anus, but check out the rocker and flattened hull!

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the club. You seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Most of us are well aware of Tiderace. In fact we had Randy from NY bring 6 or 7 boats out last year for a demo day at the Tuesday night Surf session. I must admit I am envious of your new Xtreme". Sweet boat!

Many of us paddle year round but given the water temps, etc we tend to keep it a tight knit group of people whose skills we are aware of and can rely on. You appear to be a soloist but I personally won't go out in the winter without a pod of 3 paddlers minimum.

As you may or may not have noticed, we have scheduled many trips this year. I can appreciate your enthusium and understand it very well but it would behoove you to get to know some of us. As for cocktails, they are best consumed after the paddle.

Added note, when you add a reply to someones post, simply hit "Reply" and put your cursor after the last thing that was written and begin typing there. Doing this will create only one post with it's response attached to it as demonstrated here.

If your interested in transitioning from a Euro blade to Greenland paddle, we have a Greenland Workshop this Sunday at the Portsmouth YMCA for only $25. See the calander for more details.

Doug

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the club. You seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Most of us are well aware of Tiderace. In fact we had Randy from NY bring 6 or 7 boats out last year for a demo day at the Tuesday night Surf session. I must admit I am envious of your new Xtreme". Sweet boat!

Many of us paddle year round but given the water temps, etc we tend to keep it a tight knit group of people whose skills we are aware of and can rely on. You appear to be a soloist but I personally won't go out in the winter without a pod of 3 paddlers minimum.

As you may or may not have noticed, we have scheduled many trips this year. I can appreciate your enthusium and understand it very well but it would behoove you to get to know some of us. As for cocktails, they are best consumed after the paddle.

Added note, when you add a reply to someones post, simply hit "Reply" and put your cursor after the last thing that was written and begin typing there. Doing this will create only one post with it's response attached to it as demonstrated here.

If your interested in transitioning from a Euro blade to Greenland paddle, we have a Greenland Workshop this Sunday at the Portsmouth YMCA for only $25. See the calander for more details.

Doug