DIY Electric Bilge Pump

EEL

Has anyone constructed a portable, electric bilge pump using supplies from a marine supply store? Thinking about building one for use in classes and such and wondering about appropriate pump capacity and battery size. Assume there are some tricks for wiring and switching given the environment. Not thinking of a fixed installation to pump out my kayak, but ability to raft up and then pump out another kayak. Perhaps a solution in search of a problem.

Ed Lawson

Has anyone constructed a portable, electric bilge pump using supplies from a marine supply store? Thinking about building one for use in classes and such and wondering about appropriate pump capacity and battery size. Assume there are some tricks for wiring and switching given the environment. Not thinking of a fixed installation to pump out my kayak, but ability to raft up and then pump out another kayak. Perhaps a solution in search of a problem.

Ed Lawson

I have heard of this one being used in such a way:

http://www.go2marine.com/product/115118F/waterbuster-portable-pump-stand-alone-d-battery-powered.html

I pumped out a few inches of water from my boat so many times during my last pool session, without ever wet-exiting, that I've been thinking about an electric bilge pump myself. Though a better fitting custom skirt might be as useful in my case.

Here are the web links I've located so far:

The Qajaq USA thread includes the comment by Dave Isbell: Avoid the switch . I have built 2 of these using a rule automatic pump. (West Marine about $60). It has a computer chip that cycles the pump every couple of minutes. if it feels resistance it keeps pumping. If it doesn't it shuts down. To activate i open the Pelican battery case and hook the lead wire up. To deactivate, disconnect the wire. No switch needed.

Personally I'm wondering if I can combine Dave Isbell's simplicity with Ralph Johnson's tube up through the skirt simplicity.

Someone here have me a link to an inexpensive west marine I pump powered by d cell batteries. It works fine for me.

Thank you. Appreciate links on DIV and the suggested pump. Seems it would be cheaper to buy the Atwood pump than DIY so I will check it out first.

Ed Lawson

Definitely let us know how it works out. The little Atwood pump definitely seems inexpensive, reliable, and no construction required. Though it is only rated at 200 gph, versus 500+ gph for most of the DIY choices. Replacing D-cell batteries after every five or so hours of use instead of just recharging a 12 volt lead-acid battery could also get expensive if you use it regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

please see Blue Kayak Works website . I think this will resolve what you are looking for. I have purchased 2 on line. They work great but take alot patience to install. 60 seconds to desperse a sea-kayak!

Ken, the blue kayaks version won't fit the bill, this was part of the original post:

"Not thinking of a fixed installation to pump out my kayak, but ability to raft up and then pump out another kayak."

-Jason