Palm Torrent Drysuit

kevinfre

I've been presented with the opportunity to buy a Palm Torrent drysuit, unopened, for what seems to be a surprisingly good price. The seller is local so I can try it on first. Does anyone have experience with Palm drysuits? Anything good or bad to report? I'm looking for online reviews but haven't found much.

Thanks,

Kevin

I've been presented with the opportunity to buy a Palm Torrent drysuit, unopened, for what seems to be a surprisingly good price. The seller is local so I can try it on first. Does anyone have experience with Palm drysuits? Anything good or bad to report? I'm looking for online reviews but haven't found much.

Thanks,

Kevin

No longer being distributed in the US. Any repairs/warranty issues will need to be taken care of in the UK.

Thanks,

Kevin

Noel at New England Small Craft in Rowley sold me a new Palm dry suit this past fall, also at a good price. It is not bright yellow and not gortex, but used it in February and it performed well. It is definitely water tight and works warmly with a layer of polyester fleece and a polar fleece vest. I am mainly a day paddler, so the rigors of a multi day expedition/camping trip is something that the suit is not likely to encounter. I did notice that after 4+ hours the neck gasket did cause some irritation to my "adams apple". I suspect that is a condition found in any secure watertight sealing mechanism.

Tom

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. One other question - the suit is breathable, correct? Or at least the fabric is intended to be? I understand that how dry you stay has a lot to do with how many layers you have on underneath.

Kevin

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. One other question - the suit is breathable, correct? Or at least the fabric is intended to be? I understand that how dry you stay has a lot to do with how many layers you have on underneath.

Kevin

I have one also ...and yes it's breathable.

Don't assume that your suit is breathable, in case you are. Goretex is not the only material, its probably the best known and I believe they warranty it and support it very well. As noted earlier, service of the suit may become an issue but many are able to get things done in the off season. Having reinforcement in key locations (subject to wear/abrasion) is an important aspect of the design/construction.

Hi Kevin, Here is the link to the Palm UK site http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/gear/surface_immersion_suits.php it will give you all of the specs. for their latest kit. I have a Palm Aleutian dry suit & an Aleutian semi dry top. I am very happy w/ both plus other misc. Palm kit I have. As Suz says the warranty if needed may be an issue. Thanks, Chuck