Roller Loader

Gcosloy

Does anyone have experience with this accessory to help loading kayaks. I'm getting a new Subaru Imprezza hatchback and the only crossbars that can be fitted either Subaru or Thule screw into fixed positions on the roof which seems like a fairly narrow spread. rollerloader.com looks like it might work. They now have a 7" wheel version as well as a 10"wheel version. If anybody has any more advice regarding coping with a narrow spread on the crossbars I'd be appreciative.

Gene, have a look at the Thule "Roll Model" (I think they now call it?) This is the gadget that fits on the rear crossbar outboard of the two kayak rack fitments (the feet) and I love it -- it is simple and works well and <certainly> facilitates solo loading. I never felt that I needed assistance when I ran Audis; but I do need it with this Jeep Cherokee-monstrosity!

When I originally fitted it, I squirted plenty of oily stuff inside the tubular parts; but, nevertheless, there <is> now some corrosion externally and the paint finish is lifting -- it is not a big deal, mind, simply requiring a bit of maintenance on my part.

It has my recommendation!

Gene,

Three weeks ago I took delivery on a 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited. The Sport version comes with factory installed side rails. I then installed Thule crossbars. I used 47" Rapid Aero Load Bars (RB47) with the Rapid Crossroads (450R) and I installed locks on each. The mesurements are 40" side-to-side on the front crossbar and 37" side-to-side on the rear crossbar. The crossbars are separated 32" front to back. I use this same arrangement on my 2010 Subaru Forrester and I plan to use the Fairing and the Set and Go kayak craddle on both.

Thank you for the heads up on the rollerloader! I like the sound of it and perhaps I will get one and try it out. I think the version with the 8" wheels should clear the rear deflector on the Impreza. If I put together the package soon would it be helpful to meet someplace convenient so you can check it out? It seems like a great way to protect the back and shoulders from excessive wear and tear.

Warren

Does anyone have experience with this accessory to help loading kayaks. I'm getting a new Subaru Imprezza hatchback and the only crossbars that can be fitted either Subaru or Thule screw into fixed positions on the roof which seems like a fairly narrow spread. rollerloader.com looks like it might work. They now have a 7" wheel version as well as a 10"wheel version. If anybody has any more advice regarding coping with a narrow spread on the crossbars I'd be appreciative.

Hi Gene,

I used the rollerloader for years with my VW Golf. They work okay but you need to get the boat on the wheels exactly or they don't work well and are not much help. You also need to make sure that the rollerblader is lined up with your saddles.

When I got my Saab, the clip was too thick to hook inside the hatch -- that is why I don't use it anymore. Maybe you could get different hooks to fit your car but I am not sure.

Even though the company states on its website that the rollerloader fits all cars - alas, it is not true. If you want to borrow my rollerblader to see if it works on your car - let me know.

Les

Warren,

I've ordered the Premium version of the hatchback, which while it has exactly the same roof line doesn't have the option of adding the side rails. Another idea is to mount the subu cross bars into the fixed position on the roof and add the Thule Slipstream which has saddles that can be moved perhaps 40" apart. In addition it has the pull out roller for loading off the back. I haven't seen anyone with one yet and I know that they have updated and improved the original design to allow for more extension and robustness.

Leslie,

If we catch up sometimes on a paddle I would like to try your rollerloader. Thanks.

Christopher,

The Thule loader bar requires the Thule square bars and even then would be to far forward on this car to insure that I would not scratch up the top of the hatch. There is only a fixed position that either Thule or Subu cross bars can be mounted on this vehicle.

If you're stuck with a narrow spread for crossbars, one option to consider is J bars to mount on the crossbars.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-835PRO-Hullaport-Rooftop-Carrier/dp/B00152TUUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330260695&sr=8-1

This may, of course, be a non-starter because kayaks are just harder to load onto them: you can't really slide or roll them from the rear and you have to humpety -hump them up over the upward turning members. But for crossbars with a narrow spread, jbars do keep the boat from yawing (they can't, since they're strapped to those vertical members) and the boat can be tightened down very securely as they compress on the sides of the boat where its the strongest , and not against the deck and hull, as when its mounted upright.

If you're stuck with a narrow spread for crossbars, one option to consider is J bars to mount on the crossbars.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-835PRO-Hullaport-Rooftop-Carrier/dp/B00152TUUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330260695&sr=8-1

This may, of course, be a non-starter because kayaks are just harder to load onto them: you can't really slide or roll them from the rear and you have to humpety -hump them up over the upward turning members. But for crossbars with a narrow spread, jbars do keep the boat from yawing (they can't, since they're strapped to those vertical members) and the boat can be tightened down very securely as they compress on the sides of the boat where its the strongest , and not against the deck and hull, as when its mounted upright.

There may be a solution for hoisting the kayak up onto J bars. The Malone Telos Kayak Assist You need the Malone J bars which allow the assist to clip into. I've never seen one in use but I'm now considering it.

I have the Thule Slipstream on my Honda Element. The crossbar spread on that vehicle is only 27 inches center to center. That's the primary reason I bought the Slipstream, so I could haul my CLC Chesapeake 17 LT with the boat being supported adequately. I first used it last August to race up to Mount Desert Island to fetch the boat from its seller the day before Irene arrived here. I was very pleased with the arrangement and remain so.

I'm a very green kayaker. But I've been tying boats on top of vehicles for forty years, even got paid to do it for a while. The Slipstream is a product I can recommend without hesitation.

• 1 month later...

Latest update on the saga of loading/unloading kayaks: I have a new Imprezza Sport which has side rails. I purchased the Subaru cross bars which are mounted 32" apart and added my Thule Kayak saddles. At this point I thought I was done. Using an extra Thule square bar cantilevered over the side rail and under the outboard front saddle screw toggles getting the boat on and off was fraught with potential mishap. Unlike the Forester, the outrigger tended to pitch toward the car inviting the bow of my Romany to do the same. Abandoning this plan after a few trials I ordered the Rollerloader. I purchased the 10" wheel version which may not have been necessary but wanted the insurance of clearing the cowl on the roof line. I've tried it about half a dozen times and found it easy and almost flawless. The two wheels will grab any part of the boat so if you don't line up the boat directly in back of the rollerloader you might find yourself pushing the boat on its chine and off at an angle. That happened but once and a little patience and planning should avoid a repeat. I think they've improved the product; it seems very robust and heavy. Overall, I'm very pleased.

Gene,

Glad to hear you have a great combination for loading and unloading the Romany. I, as well, have the Subaru Impresa and I have the Roller Loader. They work really well in combination! We should have an effortless season ahead.!!

Warren

Gene,

I have a rollerloader that I'm going to post for sale. I used to use it on the back of my minivan for rolling boats

onto the roof. It's in mint condition and can be yours for $30 cash on the nose.

Mike