Dead Seals - do we have to report?

brambor

With the news covering death of seals in new england, I was wondering if I should report a find of a fresh carcass of a baby seal on little jewell island ?

The MITA website has an article on Harbor Seals and Small Boats:

http://www.mita.org/learn/history/seals

Besides useful info for small boaters, it has these numbers to contact for live strandings:

From Kittery to Rockland, call the Marine Animal Lifeline's 24-hour Rescue Hotline pager at 851-6625 (you will not need to dial 207 in Maine). From Rockland to the Canadian border, call Allied Whale, College of the Atlantic, at (207) 288-5644.

Not sure if they take calls about dead seals, but imagine they would be interested for research purposes and probably can tell you if there is a number to report dead animals.

Scott

My understanding is they are asking for folks to report all that they find though technically it might not be required, just highly encouraged...it might help them figure out what is going on and perhaps give an idea how much of the population is affected.

Thanks Nate. I reported it. They said they might retrieve the body for examination.

I have reported dead seals to Allied Whale in the past, and they are in fact very interested in getting the information.

I expect that with the current die-off they are all the more interested in tracking deaths, so give them a call.

Nate

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Jason -- vegetarian or not, Suzanne can work miracles with 303 to revive old (seamingly dead) seals!

How did my name end up in this thread? I have been attempting to keep out of the fray for now.....

<You might have to ask someone else, as she has gone the vegetarian route....>

<That> is how your name ended up in this thread -- you put it there!

Anyhow, is one allowed to consume said dead seals after reporting to the authorities? It seems to me that seal blubber might be considered <perfect> nourishment for kayakers! I'm just trying to devise a test for freshness -- give me a while for thought on this subject...