Which way around Cape Ann?

MZiebell

Winds are frequently from the south this time of year. If I were planning to launch from Lanes I would choose a day when paddling clockwise I would enter the Annasquam an hour to an hour and half before high tide. (This last is based on a touring pace of between 3k to 4k) By the time I reached the canal it will be slack. Leaving the harbor could be helped a little by the change in tide going out. After going round the dogbar I will have the wind at my back for the longest leg of the trip. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have more to contribute.

I guess what Gene is saying could also be stated: Ideally, you want the wind at your back during the long stretch from Thatcher Island to Dogbar, and on your beam between Halibut Pt. and Thatcher. It will be against you on the remaining (northern) stretch, but the unprotected portion of that stretch is shorter. On a good day you can get both the tide and the wind to cooperate in this way, sometimes clockwise, sometimes counter-clockwise. Just check the weather forecast.

Note that if you end up against both tide and wind on a windy day it can become difficult to make headway in the Annisquam.

The tide in the Annisquam "splits" around the 128 bridge.

And one other note, in case you aren't familiar, watch out for tidal effects (and boat traffic) in the Blynman Canal under Rt. 127. Things can get "sporty" there. That's probably why Gene is suggesting slack tide. Going with the tide can be exciting but is usually doable, but against the tide you can have strong current for a short distance and sometimes nice standing waves. And an audience watching from the street. Fun! And to pass on word from the guy at the gates, never take a kayak under a raised drawbridge.

I'm planning on circumnavigating Cape Ann. Is there a preferred way around given wind and tides for this time of year? I'll probably start at Lanes Cove.

If you want company please post as a trip! I havent done a Cape Ann circumnav this year.

Barry.