pfd - anyone seen....

rick stoehrer

i should replace my pfd soon (lest it swim away under it's own power) and while some would point to duct tape (and that's a perfectly valid response), i'd like to take it in another direction.

so the question is this....has anyone tried the astral line of vests? i am looking for a fairly large amount of "cargo room" for all the stuff (okay, crap i hope i don't need) in addition to the water bladder i've become so accustomed to having.

can't seem to find one around and i'd like to try it (or at least SEE it) before i buy it. i looked on their website but i haven't found anyone carrying the 300 series (like the quick release integrated into the vest)

any input appreciated.

thanks.

Hi Rick,

I bought an Astral vest last year. The fit is good and the mobility while wearing it is excellent. Pocket space is good, but it tends to get pretty bulky as everything is in one pocket.

I havent used it much as it is pretty tough to mount a camelback to it and the elastic shoulder straps make it a bit cumbersome for getting back onto a surfski (usually done butt first) as the back panel tends to catch easily.

You are free to borrow mine to try or to buy it cheap if so inclined. I used it a few times and went back to my old lotus vest. Sadly my lotus has seen better days as well and has been "improved" upon by the company.

John

I've got an Astral and it is great. It is very comfortable and the pocket space is enormous. The Sea kayaking line has two pockets--one on each side of the zipper. The integrated bladder pouch can be a bit persnicketty to get the bladder into, but once in it works great and stays out of the way.

I also dig the fuzzy hand-warmers behind the pockets which can also double as a temporary stuff spot for things.

Osprey Adventures in Westport has them in stock and Bob Smith's was carrying them last year.

I think it depends upon the model within the Astral line. I have friends who've used the zip up Astrals and liked them very much.

I purchased a women's pull over style wondervest for white water. At first I liked it because it was sooo comfortably fitted for a woman. The best feature was the inside back pocket designed to hold a drinking water bladder without having it flopping around on the outside of the vest.

But, after using it for a season, I found that in making it comfortable for the chest area, the manufacturer had made it too bulky around the middle of the torso and the front pocket, which had a velcro closure had a tendency to come open when one had to lay on the front of the vest (for certain types of white water rescues). Both those characteristics could affect one's ability to crawl onto the back deck of a kayak during an assisted rescue. I also found that it really didn't float me as high in the water as some other vests (another important thing in white water, less so in sea kayaking).

The two best fitting vests I've tried are one MTI model called the Nami (good for WW but not enough pockets for sea kayaking) and the Kokatat MSFit Tour. Both are well cut for short torsos, which is what I need. The latter has plenty of well designed pocket space.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I'm also in the market for a new PFD... Did you get more info/feedback on the Astral 300? I haven't seen one in real life but the write ups look enticing. Other candidates?

Thanks!

thanks, I'll need to check those out. Lots of pocket room is a good thing... really spoiled by my Serratus Expedition PFD that is, unfortunately, no longer available.

• 1 month later...

For what it’s worth EMS in Burlington is having a sale and the Kokatat MSFit is on sale for $78 less another 20% on top of that so after tax it was about $66. I think it was last years model but still a great deal. Size choices were limited for yellow, they seemed to have more in blue.

Rick,

With regard to pocket space alone, I believe that North Water has a Guide vest (basically a mesh vest with pockets and lash tabs) that can fit over any pfd. Not having tried it personally, I can't comment on its attributes; however, it might allow you more flexibility when looking for the ideal pfd.