Lobster Shack

alcoons

We want to do a day trip this weekend (and for general knowledge) and we are looking for recommendations for lobster shacks: informal, looking at the water, great lobster, lobster rolls and clams, probably picnic tables or deck. The Barking Crab for instance does not fit the bill since it is in a urban parking lot with a view of a stagnate inlet.

North coast of Massachusetts (north of Wintrop)?

New Hampshire?

Portland and south in Maine?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Al

We want to do a day trip this weekend (and for general knowledge) and we are looking for recommendations for lobster shacks: informal, looking at the water, great lobster, lobster rolls and clams, probably picnic tables or deck. The Barking Crab for instance does not fit the bill since it is in a urban parking lot with a view of a stagnate inlet.

North coast of Massachusetts (north of Wintrop)?

New Hampshire?

Portland and south in Maine?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Al

Lobster Pool in Rockport (Gloucester?) just west of halibut point park.

Phil

Lobster Pool in Rockport (Gloucester?) just west of halibut point park.

Phil

The Lobster Pool is in Rockport and you cannot land right at the seawall. You would have to land all the way in Folly Cove, where divers frequently are, and walk back to the Lobster Pool.

There used to be a place on Bearskin Neck in Rockport. If I can swing by and check it out I will post back what I find. Rockport harbor itself has lots of options.

Liz

Lobster Shack in Kittery Point. Chauncey Creek Road. You can sit at tables on the dock overlooking Chauncey Creek. It's very popular.

I think we paddled by this place.... Looked wonderful but I think I remember a comment that it is almost impossible to get a seat it is so popular.

Thanks,

Al

<Lobster Pool in Rockport (Gloucester?) just west of Halibut Point State Park>...as Phil writes, this is an awesome spot -- especially at sunset (I have inserted capital letters where necessary, Philip!) and the typically-red, New England-looking building actually overlooks Folly Cove. You can paddle up to it and leave your boats on the rocks there.

The Barnical Restaurant in Marblehead, near Fort Sewal. It has a deck and a beach (rocky, but landable) right next to it. It has excellent fried seafood and chowder. They have lobster but call ahead to make sure they have them for you. The deck and tables inside overlook the harbor. Very nice.

Bill

Cod End

Tenant's Harbor, ME

way far away but oh so good, and if you are there in the AM the blueberry muffins are pretty good as well.

Cape Pier Lobster at Cape Porpoise, Kennebunkport.

You can paddle up next to the town wharf, leave the boats at the top of the beach, then enjoy lobster on the deck across the parking lot. Great stop for a trip among the 14 islands owned by the Kennebunkport Convservation Trust and on the Maine Island Trail. Three of the islands are camping (but watch for brown tail caterpillars on Vaughn).

The Cape Porpoise area dries out completely except for the channel at low tide. The good news is that the channel leads right up to the wharf; bad news is the beach dries out at low tide so you'll have a walk and I don't know the bottom to the low tide line.

http://www.capeporpoiselobster.com/t-capepier.aspx

Scott