Muscle Ridge Parking?

tyson

Emilie and I are planning to spend a couple nights out on Muscle Ridge this coming weekend. We've found a few places we can launch from, but concerns about low tide launches and overnight parking have us a little stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ty

Emilie and I are planning to spend a couple nights out on Muscle Ridge this coming weekend. We've found a few places we can launch from, but concerns about low tide launches and overnight parking have us a little stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ty

Hi Tyson,

The MITA guide for Penobscot Bay lists a number of launch and parking (including overnight) options in the area; some will require a fee.

Barry.

Hi Tyson,

The MITA guide for Penobscot Bay lists a number of launch and parking (including overnight) options in the area; some will require a fee.

Barry.

Thanks! Yes, I had looked there. However, they aren't clear about "half tide" and "all tides" limitations applying to hand carry boats or just trailer launched boats. Do I just run out of ramp or do I sink into the mud? They also don't list all places that one may park and launch. There are a number of state parks that aren't clear about launching or over night parking as well as other "public" spots that others report having used. ...but I can't find enough info on them.

I'm also hoping to find a launch that is "close" so that I can spend my time gong further out instead of touring in close just to get "there".

Here is one of the places MITA lists that I'm considering. But MITA lists it as "Half Tide". What do I find off the end of the ramp at low tide? ...can I launch a kayak when trailer launched boats can't get to the water?

Thanks!

Ty

Thanks!

Ty

You might try lobster buoy campsites on Waterman Point; http://www.lobsterbuoycampsites.com/

Don't know if they will allow launch-only, but it's an easy paddle from there. I don't know how you feel about car camping but this is a viable option for this neck of the woods, given the dearth of decent islands (____ EXcluded) to camp on.

gary

You might try lobster buoy campsites on Waterman Point; http://www.lobsterbuoycampsites.com/

Late to this since just returned from Maine and paddling in this area. I strongly second Gary's suggestion to us Lobster Buoy as a base. You can launch from there very easily and it is a direct shot to Muscle Ridge. You can paddle the down the whole chain outside, including Two Bush light and ledges, and paddle back on the inside in a single day paddle of around 15NM. If you camp at ______ the odds are the gulls will be unhappy, the Osprey will be unhappy, and so will you. Not an appealing place with the gull colony there. You can use the Tenant's Harbor public wharf or wharf in Rockland and park overnight if camping. Folks I know who do the ridge as a day trip use the Birch Point park where you can launch easily.

Of course this weekend is the start of the season and things will be crowded.

Ed Lawson

Thanks! Yes, I had looked there. However, they aren't clear about "half tide" and "all tides" limitations applying to hand carry boats or just trailer launched boats. Do I just run out of ramp or do I sink into the mud? They also don't list all places that one may park and launch. There are a number of state parks that aren't clear about launching or over night parking as well as other "public" spots that others report having used. ...but I can't find enough info on them.

I'm also hoping to find a launch that is "close" so that I can spend my time gong further out instead of touring in close just to get "there".

Here is one of the places MITA lists that I'm considering. But MITA lists it as "Half Tide". What do I find off the end of the ramp at low tide? ...can I launch a kayak when trailer launched boats can't get to the water?

Thanks!

Ty

From what I remember, at the end of the ramp across from the 'Keag store you will find an long expanse of deep sticky mud at low tide. We stopped to check it out before and decided it was not a great place to launch as it is so reliant on tide. However, there are picnic tables and a port-a-potty, and the store has good sandwiches so it is a good lunch stop.

Ed, Cath,

Thanks for the info. We'll avoid the keag River Launch and anticipate that we might not like ______. We're really not looking to camp on the mainland with everyone else. If we can't find a place for some primitive camping by our selves, I'd just as soon find a hotel and have a real bed. There are a couple of other options that aren't too far away from the islands. ...and I promise that we won't leave a trace. ;)

Cheers!

Ty

Edited by jason
Removed the MITA island that shouldn't be listed in the post

If we can't find a place for some primitive camping by our selves, I'd just as soon find a hotel and have a real bed.

Bingo!

BTW, there are a couple of MITA camping islands to the north of Muscle Ridge.

You might find Muscongus a nice place.

Ed Lawson

Hi all - thanks for the comments about the Boat Launches, etc. We try to include as much as we know about various launches etc, but are always looking to add more. You can email guide@mita.org with any information you encounter about (for/against/detailed, etc) a launch and/or island and we will do our best to include that information on the online guide.mita.org and possibly in the printed guide.

Cheers

Eliza - Marketing and Membership - Maine Island Trail

Bingo!

BTW, there are a couple of MITA camping islands to the north of Muscle Ridge.

You might find Muscongus a nice place.

Ed Lawson

The Keag River launch looked fine very close to low tide. If there is a problem for kayaks, it would be only at the lowest of tides. We spend Sat night on _______ and Sunday night on ______. (Moderator edit to comply with MITA) Paddled a leisurely 32 miles (according to the GPS) over the 3 days. We'll try to post a trip report shortly.

Cheers!

Ty

We spend Sat night on ____ and Sunday night on ____. (Moderator edited)

A small matter, but I believe MITA prefers that the names of privately owned islands which are open only to MITA members not be used in "public" discussions/reports.

I should have mentioned this before, but if you are a MITA member and have questions when planning trips, you will find the MITA staff are quite helpful and have a great deal of "local knowledge".

BTW, was the lobster shack open at Keag River put in over the weekend?

Looking forward to a report with you excellent pictures.

Ed Lawson

A small matter, but I believe MITA prefers that the names of privately owned islands which are open only to MITA members not be used in "public" discussions/reports.

Good point. My bad. Your bad and Gary's bad also as you both mentioned names before I had mentioned any island names. ;)

I should have mentioned this before, but if you are a MITA member and have questions when planning trips, you will find the MITA staff are quite helpful and have a great deal of "local knowledge".

Do they really have the time/resources to provide that level of support? If so, that's great! ...but it had never really occurred to me to bother them with my trip planning.

BTW, was the lobster shack open at Keag River put in over the weekend?

I can't answer that one. The one near Waterman Beach was closed on the 4th. They are normally closed on Monday's, but one would think that 4th of July tourists would be a reason to be open. When we returned Monday (yesterday) we stopped at "Miller's" Lobster that is a bit further "Up West".

Looking forward to a report with you excellent pictures.

We'll try not to disappoint but don't get too excited. ;-)

Oh, do you know a "Dave and Cindy" who are SMSKN members?

Cheers!

Ty

Your bad and Gary's bad also as you both mentioned names before I had mentioned any island names.

Yes, but especially applies to guess which one?

Do they really have the time/resources to provide that level of support?

Yes, they are very helpful people as are the folks at MCHT.

Oh, do you know a "Dave and Cindy" who are SMSKN members?

Yes.

Ed Lawson

An unprincipled "yes" man.