Nav exercise #1

gyork

Rob hazard piqued my interest in attempting to post an exercise for readers to practice armchair navigation. Yes, this should have been posted in January, I know. If this works, perhaps others might add questions to the post, or start their own postings?

After camping at Lobster Buoy Campground on Waterman Point, D, J, and G planned a day trip to the Muscle Ridge archipelago:

1071546723_NavExer1.thumb.png.7ae5cd8ddc63cd571d27c887e681a7aa.png

Our trip would follow a clockwise (CW) route, starting at Waterman point, splitting Dix and High, E side of Birch, CCW Hewitt, CW Pleasant, split Bar/Graffam, E point of Sprucehead, back to campground.

This would be a trip of (9.5) nm. Based on a forecast of sunny, wind SE 5-10k, seas 2 feet, this would be considered a CAM level (3) trip. After our beach briefing we determined that Eben and Tommy Islands were at bearings (135°) and (161°), mag, respectively.

We agreed to shoot for the S tip of Tommy. We could see a fog bank rolling in. Posted ImagePosted Image We regrouped at S Tommy and decided to paddle in the limited visibility fog. We would use the handrails of Garden I ledge daymarker as point 1. With foghorns at the ready, VHFs on Ch 16 for possible Securite call-[describe] (Securite. Securite. Securite. 2. All Stations. All Stations. All Stations. 3. This is a group of 3 sea kayakers on a 124° mag course from S end of Tommy I. to Garden I. Ledge day marker, expected transit time ~15min. 4. "OUT" 5. Cancel securite at destination.)

Our compasses would read (124°)mag in this transit at slack tide. We assumed speed of 3k. Given the distance of (0.67)nm, we would expect to arrive at the daymarker in (~15) minutes. From there we would follow a bearing of (93°) mag to #10 nun, with similar expected transit time. Proceeding easterly in the pea soup we heard the muffled deisel of a lobster boat and gulls vying for discarded bait. The fog slowly lifted, revealing Oak I, and we proceeded to the W tip of High I, with its massive granite piers Posted ImageWaste from the quarrying industry was everywhere, Posted Image as we explored the old quarry on High.

Next we headed to ____, a MITA island with supposed camping? Don't think so, but it served as a perfect lunch spot. Climbing to the highest point, with strong glasses, I spied a red can #2B, beyond the NE tip of Hewitt I., at a hand-compass bearing of ~153° mag, T or F? (False-even-numbered buoys are NUNS)  In a westerly direction the target at Sprucehead I. was at bearing (282°) mag. After launching from ____ we split Flag and Hewitt and started to CW Pleasant. At its eastern-most tip Two Bush Island light came into view. Posted Image My deck compass read (199°) mag. Explain the abbreviations associated with this light-Fl 5s 65ft 5M HORN (Flashing every 5s, 65' tall, visibility 5M, horn).

We CW'd Pleasant and took a break at the tiny neck, mid-island Posted ImagePosted Image. We split Graffam and Bar/Hurricane to Sprucehead, thence (~0/360°) degrees to the campground Posted Image. What a glorious day on the water!

Highlight the space between parentheses to see answers in white lettering.

gary

Edited by gyork

Gary:

If those pictures don't encourage folks to paddle there, not sure what would.

I've heard folks say there is no way to camp on _____ and I've heard folks say they camped there no problem. Guess I will have to see for my self some day.

Ed Lawson

Gary:

If those pictures don't encourage folks to paddle there, not sure what would.

I've heard folks say there is no way to camp on ______ and I've heard folks say they camped there no problem. Guess I will have to see for my self some day.

Ed Lawson

Hi Ed,

I paddled from Round Pond to _____ late last September and found no place to camp. I was using a bivy sack so I didn't need much space at all. But I went up and down that Island and found nothing even for that. I ended up on the rocks which wasn't so bad at all (see pic). I did write to MITA afterward and encouraged them to emphasize how iffy the island is if you have any kind of footprint for a tent. It was beautiful though. Seals everywhere. Herons. Peace.

I hope you get a chance to try it for yourself.

post-100878-0-53014300-1306604224_thumb.

I paddled from Round Pond to ______ late last September and found no place to camp. ..... I ended up on the rocks .... It was beautiful though. Seals everywhere.

The folks I know who camped there consider camping on ledges/rock par for the game so that may explain it. It is a spectacular area and going down the chain on the outside to Two Bush light is worth it. They say 10% of seal in Maine live there.

There are several MITA islands listed for camping which are iffy. Sometimes a hint in the guide, sometimes not. Part of the adventure I guess.

Ed Lawson

There are several MITA islands listed for camping which are iffy. Sometimes a hint in the guide, sometimes not. Ed Lawson

Neighboring _____ is another example. The description from the Guide book: "Campsite location: Wherever practical (do not clear vegetation)" kinda sums it up. If I'm overnighting in this area, stealth camping is on the agenda.