CAM on-the-water workshop Sunday May 15th

PeterB

Thanks to all who attended the CAM workshop at Marblehead.

Conditions were good for such a workshop. we had some fog to get about in and the sea state was a bit challenging without being too much.

Winds were moderate. Water was cold. Air temps also on the raw chilly side, and there was intermittent rain and fog .

We had about twenty participants including 10 (!!) Presenters, so it was a day rich with human/instructional resources: that high teacher-student ratio that prestigious colleges and snotty prep schools like to boast about.

We broke into three groups. My group carried boats across to Devereaux Beach, , launched together and crossed to a rocky island about a mile offshore , doing rescues along the way. We then crossed in the fog to Tinkers Island where we landed and debriefed, then set off along the rocky shore of Marblehead Neck where we did more rescues and tows in the rocks. We crossed over to Marblehead rock , where we did a landing-where -you-can't land drill, with smiles (?) all around, and thence to Childrens Island, and back to Marblehead Harbor and Riverhead Beach . The groups blood was up so we stayed out longer than the other groups. .

Along the way we got to share much about about communication, group paddling, leadership , beach briefings.

We passed the other two groups along Marblehead Neck's rocky shore: they had launced from Riverhead Beach made their way out of Marblehead Harbor and around Marblehead neck in the opposite direction, back to Devereaux Beach. I could see a bunch of launchings , landings and rescues as they moved along , and it looked like they were working hard and having a good time as well. .

Very special thanks to the presenters, who brought a lot of experience, and a good number who brought professional kayak teaching credentials, to the workshop.

This passage below I took from Rick S.s post elsewhere, which gives an idea of what one of the other groups did:

so that was a pretty good cam i think....we sorted out who we had on the trip during the beach briefing and so who was issuing marching on the water orders (me), where and what we wanted to do and then targeted developing new skills and increasing the comfort level of the participants. we understood we could not exceed the skills of the least experienced person on the trip and we managed to keep the group together and everyone moderately happy.

I would like to thank Rick S., Paul, and Scott for leading out group. The trip was an excellent opportunity to try rescues, towing techniques, and CAM principles in reasonable conditions. Rick kept us moving along and well organized toward the goal of having everyone on the pod gain in experience. Paul was excellent as a 'hypothermic paddler', and later as a willing HOG victim. Scott also made sure everyone participated in the rescues. Looking forward to the next session!

Bob

I would like to thank Rick S., Paul, and Scott for leading out group. The trip was an excellent opportunity to try rescues, towing techniques, and CAM principles in reasonable conditions. Rick kept us moving along and well organized toward the goal of having everyone on the pod gain in experience. Paul was excellent as a 'hypothermic paddler', and later as a willing HOG victim. Scott also made sure everyone participated in the rescues. Looking forward to the next session!

Bob

It was an all-star group of presenters at the workshop. A remarkable opportunity to learn and hone skills. Thanks to all who generously shared their time and experience .

I'd like to thank everyone in my group for contributing to a great day on the water and thanks especially to Rick C for your excellent and very patient teaching skills and to Peter for spending a lot of time in the water as well as all the teaching that you did.

Gay

A job well done, and I think I speak for all in thanking those who put the time and effort into putting this series together. You are a committed bunch that add great value to being a member of NSPN.

Don't forget, there will be one more in this series; another day on the water that follows in a couple weeks. An opportunity to practice and expand on the material already presented.

Jon

Thanks to the presenters for "passing it on". Your enthusiasm, patience, and discussion created a great learning environment. I especially enjoyed exploring the shared leadership model. I got a different sense of my team and my surroundings when I was asked to lead a short leg. Scott, Rob, Greg... kudos!

Folks, if you've been reading about the CAMs, but have been sitting on the sidelines, I strongly encourage you to participate next time. You'll be challenged in a safe environment, meet some amazing NSPN members, and leave energized for the sport.

A great day.