Small boats T-rescuing large tandems?

billvoss

In a non-NSPN context, an experienced trip leader is raising concerns that smaller boats like my F1 skin-on-frame are not capable of performing a T-rescue of large heavy boats such as tandems. I've never tried to rescue a tandem, so while I have some theories, I do not have any experience.

Who has experience performing T-rescues on large tandem kayaks? Is the rescuer's boat size ever an issue?

thanks,

Bill

You shouldn't have any problem. You will need to have decent technique just because it will be more effort for you, but I'm quite sure that your F1 has at least as much buoyancy and volume as the Greenland qajaqs shown in this link. The point isn't the technique that they use, but that the qajaq has sufficient buoyancy to support Dan Segal. He's not a large man, but I'm certain that he weighs more than any tandem kayak.

Greenland T-Rescue

In a non-NSPN context, an experienced trip leader is raising concerns that smaller boats like my F1 skin-on-frame are not capable of performing a T-rescue of large heavy boats such as tandems. I've never tried to rescue a tandem, so while I have some theories, I do not have any experience.

Who has experience performing T-rescues on large tandem kayaks? Is the rescuer's boat size ever an issue?

thanks,

Bill

A roto tandem can go almost 100 lbs. empty. You end up taking a lot of the weight on your foredeck to keep moving the tandem up during the T to break the suction on the rear cockpit. I would try it with a plastic solo before before I put my SOF at risk.

What ever boat you're using, it's definitely worth giving it a practice run if you need to know if you can do it. The big plastic tandems (Necky Amaruk) that we use for tours are a little tricky to rescue. They have fairly plumb bows, few deck lines, and weigh a ton when wet. That said, I doubt your boat would be a problem. I'd recommend having the swimmers flip the boat right side up before you drag it up on deck, so you're not trying to lift so much weight off-center like that. I think particularly with the tandems there is a real potential for back injury.

thanks,

Bill

A coherent and cooperative rescuee can put pressure on the stern of their boat to assist you in bringing it up on your deck. I'd echo a concern about the SOF frame supporting the weight of a large boat but have no issues with its buoyancy.

A roto tandem can go almost 100 lbs. empty. You end up taking a lot of the weight on your foredeck to keep moving the tandem up during the T to break the suction on the rear cockpit. I would try it with a plastic solo before before I put my SOF at risk.

If you start with the swamped boat upright, it can start up onto the deck w/no effort. This is even more true if the rescuee pushes down on their stern (as pointed out by Bob). You then roll the tandem onto its side and if needed pull it up a little further, then finally upside down. At no point is there a suction that needs to be broken. At no point do you need to lift the weight of the water in the cockpits.

Some expressed concern about damaging the SOF. This concern is not to be ignored, however, the primary load will be on the gunwale which is the strongest part of a SOF. Also, if my link is followed you will see a 150lb +/- person plus a 25-30lb qajaq all piled onto the fore deck of an other SOF. With just a little care, I doubt that the front half of a 100lb tandem is going to do any damage.

As always, it is better to test and train in a controlled context so that you don't have surprises when you need to do it in "conditions". I feel that my speculation is well grounded, but since I've never T-rescued a tandem with a SOF, it is still speculation.

Cheers!

Ty

The big plastic tandems (Necky Amaruk) that we use for tours are a little tricky to rescue. They have fairly plumb bows, few deck lines, and weigh a ton when wet.

Having never seen, let alone attempted a poly tandem T rescue, I am curious if it is as big a PITA as it seems it would be. How many times in a season to you get to do this for real?

Ed Lawson

Having never seen, let alone attempted a poly tandem T rescue, I am curious if it is as big a PITA as it seems it would be. How many times in a season to you get to do this for real?

Ed Lawson

Hi Ed,

It's a bigger PIA than I expected it would be. The plumb bow on the boats we use are the biggest problem. It means you need to get the bow up a bit before you can slide it across your lap. As Bob said above, having a swimmer sink the stern a bit really helps with this. After that it's a bit clumsy flipping a 30" wide boat over and back on your lap, but it's not hard, really.

Fortunately it's almost never an issue in real life. Last year I only rescued tandems that were capsized intentionally. I'm not aware of any of the guides where I work having an accidental capsize last season. I'd like to say that's mostly because we're good guides, but to be fair, those boats are very stable. :)

Nate