MITA 2011 : Smuttynose

bazzert

An exciting development for MITA in 2011 is the addition of Smuttynose, Isle of Shoals to the trail with permission for MITA memebers to stay overnight in the cabin. Prior permission is required and is limited to 6.

This would allow splitting the trip over 2 days and give more time to explore/hike the other islands. Would anyone be interested in doing this? perhaps a weekend in June or July.

Barry.

I have known about this option for a few months and I think this is a great opportunity to spend a night at IOS. I am definitely interested to go.

rb

An exciting development for MITA in 2011 is the addition of Smuttynose, Isle of Shoals to the trail with permission for MITA memebers to stay overnight in the cabin. Prior permission is required and is limited to 6.

This would allow splitting the trip over 2 days and give more time to explore/hike the other islands. Would anyone be interested in doing this? perhaps a weekend in June or July.

Barry.

Barry.

I'm definitely interested too. Great, a cabin, I won't need to buy a tent!

Barry.

This sounds fun - would be interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Barry.

I spoke to Lawrence Bussey at MITA and have tentatively proposed Saturday 6/11. This has to be confirmed by the steward on duty for that week, so this is a tentative date. If for some reason this date does not work we can propose others.

The cottage is spacious, but basic. There is a limit of 6 people, mostly to limit the use of the outhouse. You must be a MITA member and should consider making a donation for the island upkeep.

I'd suggest an early start with a BIB time of 9:00am, this will allow plenty of time to make the crossing get settled, hike and explore the other islands. Weather will trump all other concerns for this trip. It's a solid Level 4 trip, dry suits required and you should only consider it if you have paddled to the shoals before or have made similar long distance open water crossings.

Let me know if you are interested or if you have questions, concerns or suggestions. I'll follow up with a "formal" trip proposal.

Finally, Lawrence is proposing running a trip where he would take a number of kayaks out on his lobster boat; participants could then explore the islands, stay the night and return the next day; the cost would be nominal (ie. cover costs) and he would like to gauge interest. Would be a great way to experience the Shoals without the long crossing. Let me know if this is something you would do and I will pass it on.

Barry.

I spoke to Lawrence Bussey at MITA and have tentatively proposed Saturday 6/11. This has to be confirmed by the steward on duty for that week, so this is a tentative date. If for some reason this date does not work we can propose others.

The cottage is spacious, but basic. There is a limit of 6 people, mostly to limit the use of the outhouse. You must be a MITA member and should consider making a donation for the island upkeep.

I'd suggest an early start with a BIB time of 9:00am, this will allow plenty of time to make the crossing get settled, hike and explore the other islands. Weather will trump all other concerns for this trip. It's a solid Level 4 trip, dry suits required and you should only consider it if you have paddled to the shoals before or have made similar long distance open water crossings.

Let me know if you are interested or if you have questions, concerns or suggestions. I'll follow up with a "formal" trip proposal.

Finally, Lawrence is proposing running a trip where he would take a number of kayaks out on his lobster boat; participants could then explore the islands, stay the night and return the next day; the cost would be nominal (ie. cover costs) and he would like to gauge interest. Would be a great way to experience the Shoals without the long crossing. Let me know if this is something you would do and I will pass it on.

Barry.

I would be interested in the going over in the lobster boat trip - last year's endless thread makes me realize that would be the only way at this point I could safely explore what sounds like a fun area - pru

Hi Barry,

I am interested. Do we need to sleep in the cabin or can we pitch tents near the cabin?

Les

Good question Les, I'll ask when I get confirmation from the steward. May be an option.

Barry.

Hi, Barry, I am interested, if the weather is clearly favorable. Where are you putting in and what is the distance from there? (I'm assuming around 6 nm.) But I'd prefer a later date as this would be my 3rd kayaking weekend in a row. I'm a MITA member.

Hi All,

I finally got a response from the caretake for June and unfortunately my proposed weekend of 6/11 is not available. I personally cant do any other weekend in June, but if someone would like to try and make another june weekend work and wants to take over the organization of it send me a private message for the relevant email addresses.

Barry.

hi Barry

lets think of other months you can make. OTOH lets talk about alternate trip for the same date.

rb

Hi All,

I finally got a response from the caretake for June and unfortunately my proposed weekend of 6/11 is not available. I personally cant do any other weekend in June, but if someone would like to try and make another june weekend work and wants to take over the organization of it send me a private message for the relevant email addresses.

Barry.