Fiberglass repair

Lbeale

There is considerable amount of wear and tear on the fiberglass area where my heels are positioned. I have never repaired a fiberglass cockpit before although I have made a Night Heron; so I know the procedure, more or less (it has been awhile). Can anyone suggest a method for doing this type of repair? Is there special materials or procedures for the cockpit other than the general instructions for fiberglass repair? Also, any particular resin and catalyst anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance for any information or tips,

Les (SF)

I would go to Brian's page on kayak repair. Since you repairing from the inside you don't need to do quite such a clean job, in fact, a rough surface might provide better purchase for those heels. I can't quote you the materials list but I imagine he'd be happy to provide you with one.

P.S. - Next time you paddle leave the stilettos in the car and use water shoes.

There is considerable amount of wear and tear on the fiberglass area where my heels are positioned. I have never repaired a fiberglass cockpit before although I have made a Night Heron; so I know the procedure, more or less (it has been awhile). Can anyone suggest a method for doing this type of repair? Is there special materials or procedures for the cockpit other than the general instructions for fiberglass repair? Also, any particular resin and catalyst anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance for any information or tips,

Les (SF)

Hi Les,

I cant off much specific advice, other than I imagine glassing in 2 to 3 layers of tape will really reinforce this area; however I have a bunch of materials (resin, hardner, white gelcoat, sandpaper, brushes etc.) from work I did this winter left over if you'd like to borrow. I can bring it on sunday.

Barry.

Hi,

Darn--so it was my high heels that caused the problem? Silly me !! But I looked soo good with a too large helmet, white sunscreen smeared on my face, in drysuit with those lil' black high heels - I thought it was quite the fashion statement --thanks for noticing Bob !!!

Yes, Barry --that would be great to bring your goods --

Les

Hello Les,

Did you have a chance to see what is under my skirt, the last time we paddled together in Maine?

I always encourage people to do so (for the sake of sharing useful information). You never know what you are going to find in/on someone’s kayak!

Did you see that wide “Black Textured Tape” under my heels? The one shaped like capital “T”?

I found this self-adhesive tape to be the best heel-rubbing-protection solution so far.

Much better than the dual-density “Padz” heel pads (mentioned in the post above). Any neoprene pad raises your center of gravity, impedes size 16 foot placement (especially in low-volume kayaks), and wears out fairly fast. You end up with a nice hole right down to the hull –especially under your dominant leg. And then replacement is messy –all this glue on the self-adhesive bottom.

So, here is my solution (most likely borrowed from underneath someone else’s skirt) ;-)

The “Trimbrite Body Guard” –Black Textured self-adhesive tape (look at the bottom right of this PDF file –looks the same as in the photo, except it is black, textured and thinner (thus easier to apply then the transparent one).

http://www.trimbrite.com/PDFs/TB1415.pdf

You can find it at “AutoBarn.com”, or “Amazon”, etc.

Warning! Even though this is a self-adhesive tape (with pretty strong glue) I found out, from personal experience, that it is much better to glue the tape with “Contact Cement” (the Red Can Gel-type one is easier to work with, and truly waterproof). You apply the contact cement to your repaired hull AND on top of the self-adhesive bottom of the black tape. Sure, the tape will soften a bit and become more stretchy (take care when applying it), but the resulting bond to the hull will withstand a lot of heel rubbing without the tape bunching up or getting holed. The finely textures Plastic tape will also help with heel traction. As opposed to the “No-Skid Steps Tape” that is pure sand-paper that will eat your kayaking shoes (and sharpen your stilettos, to make them even more formidable weapons).

Message to the “Cushioned Heel” proponents:

“Buy Kayak Booties a size bigger (or not, for the 0.5mm sock) and wear a thin (or winter thick) “Neoprene Sock” under the booties! This provides instant cushioning even if you place your feet outside the “heel-pads”, or change kayaks. Add to this the benefits of warmer feet and less water sloshing around your bare (or bear) feet.”

That’s all from me, for now.

Good luck with your repair.

Dear Les, if you want to return the “favor” you could post a description (preferably with accompanying Photos), of your ingenious “Rear-Deck-Mounted Towing System”. I forgot the particulars of this interesting concept. Other people might find it useful as well.

Just a suggestion! You don’t need to “return” anything! Just smiles! :-)

Yours,

Konstantin