BCU and ACA awards

kevinfre

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, here but - I'm considering getting evaluated for either a BCU 2-star or ACA Level 2 award this season. I'm mainly doing it to give myself incentive to really nail down some basic boat-handling skills. Is there any reason to do one rather than the other? I understand that if you get far enough along in the BCU system you need to go to England for the high-level evaluations, but that's a moot point since the chances of me ever progressing that far are, let's say, small. Any recommendations for local evaluators? Other angles that I'm missing?

Thank you,

Kevin Fredette

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, here but - I'm considering getting evaluated for either a BCU 2-star or ACA Level 2 award this season. I'm mainly doing it to give myself incentive to really nail down some basic boat-handling skills. Is there any reason to do one rather than the other? I understand that if you get far enough along in the BCU system you need to go to England for the high-level evaluations, but that's a moot point since the chances of me ever progressing that far are, let's say, small. Any recommendations for local evaluators? Other angles that I'm missing?

Thank you,

Kevin Fredette

6 of one, half dozen of the other - both are offer good, progressive learning environments in regards to personal skills and coaching. The ACA has adopted a structure that's similar to the BCU in regards to personal skills vs instruction and seems to be evolving more in that direction.

One of the great advantages of the ACA is that you can purchase insurance for the courses you teach as an instructor. While the BCU offers this same feature in the UK, the BCUNA (Brit. Canoe Union North America - which is what you join here in the colonies) does not offer insurance in the US. If you have coaching aspirations, that's something to keep in mind.

Personally, I'd go with whatever was more convenient to my schedule.

Thank you,

Kevin Fredette

Kevin,

I agree with Rick. Having gone through both systems, they do indeed offer similar programs and you can find great coaches in either scheme. As Rick indicates, you can get insurance through the ACA, but it's not the only way to do it so that shouldn't be a deal breaker either way. Whatever you do, have fun with it!

Many of the top instructors work both under both the ACA and BCU system. In my experience, its not so much the program as spending time on the water with the best instructors. ; etc. if you put yourself into the hands of good coaches that you find that you "click" with while in your cockpit, whether its an ACA or BCU context , you will see your goals realized.

I think that f I were looking to become some sort of certified instructor or guide, I would lean towards ACA because of the insurance/certification benefits described by Rick and Kevin. If I were strictly looking to develop my skills and develop as a paddling individual , I think i would go BCU. Personally, I have little ACA experience but I can tell you that the BCU 2 and 3 star programs give a very solid foundation , which stands one in great stead while on the water with a wide and undpredictable variety of people and conditions.

In my experience, its not so much the program as spending time on the water with the best instructors.

Absolutely! I have been very pleased with the money I've spent getting instruction and encourage others to also do so. It is also worth noting that there are some very good instructors that are part of this group. ...you are likely to find some of them at the CAM workshops. ;)

Absolutely! I have been very pleased with the money I've spent getting instruction and encourage others to also do so. It is also worth noting that there are some very good instructors that are part of this group. ...you are likely to find some of them at the CAM workshops. ;)

Indeed. I was remiss on not mentioning this too.