Sewage Filters

spider

I don't know how long this link stays active...but 100,000 plus washed up on our shores certainly deserves mentioning....

http://www.wmur.com/news/27182052/detail.html

Though Plum Island Refuge is technically closed to us as paddlers...it still about the last thing you want to see happen.

Hampton beach Salisbury Beach, Plum Island all closed....to my understanding

I don't know how long this link stays active...but 100,000 plus washed up on our shores certainly deserves mentioning....

http://www.wmur.com/news/27182052/detail.html

Though Plum Island Refuge is technically closed to us as paddlers...it still about the last thing you want to see happen.

Hampton beach Salisbury Beach, Plum Island all closed....to my understanding

Apparently they are used to increase the surface area on which sewage-eating microbes can breed. Hopefully a one time event!

Barry.

It's really not that big of a deal, except for the fact that it's plastic littering the beaches. Similar materials are used as bio-media in aquarium filters. Salt water and sun exposure will kill any bacteria of concern such as e-coli, so there's really not much to worry about in terms of a health hazard.

the... Closed Beaches... thread has more info

Unfortunately 4 to 8 million of these discs are now estimated to have been washed downriver. They are expected to wash up on beaches for the next year....it's not what our shores should be all about... littered with bacteria disks from a sewage plant..... eck...yuck

Was at Seabrook for a quick surf yesterday. There were bags and bags of the discs at the dumpster there. It was low tide and along the very edge of the shoreline there were lots of the discs. In order for them to be cleaned up there, you would need to get your feet wet. Seems the beach itself was picked up but more keep coming in.

We surfed anyway but wondered if it was clean enough.

Was at Seabrook for a quick surf yesterday. There were bags and bags of the discs at the dumpster there. It was low tide and along the very edge of the shoreline there were lots of the discs. In order for them to be cleaned up there, you would need to get your feet wet. Seems the beach itself was picked up but more keep coming in.

We surfed anyway but wondered if it was clean enough.

That is definitely not the news I wanted to hear... But thanks for letting us know.

Huh, I was wondering what all those disks were... They are all littered over the northern tip (on the river side) of Plum Island and all along the basin.

Huh, I was wondering what all those disks were... They are all littered over the northern tip (on the river side) of Plum Island and all along the basin.

Took a walk at PI point near the river mouth today after John Huth's workshop...saw hundreds of the disks on a short stretch of beach.

Pretty big gross out factor none the less. Millions of pieces of plastic has to have an impact.

After the talk I went down to the public launch and gathered up a few for future reference.

Still I'm not looking forward to explaining to my Canadian paddling fiend when he visits...

"oh there nothing...just stuff from one of our sewage facilities... they are actually quite attractive...

While it may seem that something that was released from a sewage treatment facility is "icky" you really need to look at the big picture. This sort of technology has alot to do with the resurgence of Boston Harbor and many other aquatic environments. In that way it is truly beautiful and wonderful.

While it may seem that something that was released from a sewage treatment facility is "icky" you really need to look at the big picture. This sort of technology has alot to do with the resurgence of Boston Harbor and many other aquatic environments. In that way it is truly beautiful and wonderful.

Aside from the disks....let's not forget that an unknown amount of raw sewage was also released. My understanding of the disks is that they're not widely used and are simply a cheaper alternative to other systems. And, e-coli or not....I don't really see millions of plastic disks (trash) as no big deal...nor do I see them as beautiful or wonderful. Just my humble opinion.

Aside from the disks....let's not forget that an unknown amount of raw sewage was also released.

Which also happens in a lot of areas whenever there's flooding. While it's obviously less than desirable, it dissipates quickly under high water conditions and leaves no lasting effects.

My understanding of the disks is that they're not widely used and are simply a cheaper alternative to other systems.

There are many types of bio media and they all do the same thing, that is, provide increased surface area for bacteria in filtration systems.

And, e-coli or not....I don't really see millions of plastic disks (trash) as no big deal...nor do I see them as beautiful or wonderful. Just my humble opinion.

It's a temporary problem and nothing more than a minor eyesore. In the overall scheme of things that can end up on beaches, it's pretty minor. I'd much rather see bio discs than medical waste, for example.