kayak dolly

gyork

I've got my sights on an inland sea safari that may require a 2-mile portage over an established, but unimproved road. The plan is to carry provisions for 1-2 nites only on my back, caching non-essentials for the latter part of the trip, and towing the near-empty kayak on a dolly. Can anyone recommend a suitable, stowable dolly for such a stroll, or should I forget this part of the trip, thinking it might cause damage to the glass "school bus" (i.e would I be an * it?)?

Thanks-gary

I've got my sights on an inland sea safari that may require a 2-mile portage over an established, but unimproved road. The plan is to carry provisions for 1-2 nites only on my back, caching non-essentials for the latter part of the trip, and towing the near-empty kayak on a dolly. Can anyone recommend a suitable, stowable dolly for such a stroll, or should I forget this part of the trip, thinking it might cause damage to the glass "school bus" (i.e would I be an * it?)?

Thanks-gary

Gary ,

for a portage that long, something with serious tires might be a good thing. I have one like this that you are welcome to borrow, try out, use on your trip if you like it. It folds up and the wheels come off for storage while paddling

http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/DisplayStyle/785141?source=gpla&preferredSku=7851410014&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7851410014&mr:trackingCode=CFA8E2EF-36B4-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Thanks-gary

I've been looking for a stowable cart to replace my folding PaddleBoy stern cart that has hard wheels and does not fit inside my kayak. The most promising candidates I've found were the following:

1. C-Tug cart, now sold under the NRS (Northwest River Supplies) name. I've looked at one of these in person; the owner was happy with its ease of disassembly and said it stows in many hatch compartments, but that it might not fit in my boat (Pilgrim Expedition). It appears to be both rustproof and very robust. Adjustable for different hull shapes. Presently my top pick IF it fits inside my hatch compartments.

2. Wheel-Eez cart (forget the model name) with the smaller, gray balloon tires. Can be disassembled and stowed. Again, I don't know the volume limits of its stowability. I understand that deflating the tires will allow stowage in pretty much any boat, but who wants to deal with carrying a pump to reinflate them?

3. Newer version of the above profiled in a blurb in a recent Sea Kayaker Magazine, also made by Wheel-Eez. This version has fairly stout, black tires that are puncture-proof.

I read somewhere that Kari-Tek is coming out with a stowable paddle dolly, available from P&H dealers. If anybody here has actually seen this thing, I would love to hear your opinion of it.

A UK sea kayaking mag contained an article about several stowable kayak carts whose names I did not recognize as they are UK-only. If you can find a back issue of that, check it out, too.

Another item you might want to buy: George Gronseth's Kayak Academy sells a huge mesh rucksack designed to haul the typical miscellaneous assortment of various-sized, slippery drybags. I bought 2 (one for husband, one for me). These things are big enough that it appears I can carry all gear from boat to campsite in 2 trips. It has shoulder straps and an interior pocket designed to accept a CrazyCreek chair, sleeping pad, etc. to protect your back from hard lumpy items.

I've been looking for a stowable cart to replace my folding PaddleBoy stern cart that has hard wheels and does not fit inside my kayak.

Thus far, PaddleBoy makes the only carts that are quick and easy to mount and stay put. They also offer a variant with air inflated, removable tires.

Ty

Gary:

I bought the C-Tug this winter but have not tried it yet with the kayak on it. It comes apart easily and I am sure it will fit in one of your compartments. The wheels are fat and rugged, advertised for "any terrain" and it is made of good quality materials. I think I am going to be happy with it and can't wait to try it.

Bill

Thanks-gary

I have a YEDO cart made by Paddle Boy. The company may have been acquired by another company. I love the cart; it does fairly well on packed sand, is very well designed and breaks apart. Be careful of the size of the wheels. It fits in my Impex Force 3 but not my Romany 16 hatches.

When I discovered that the wheels were too big for my Romany 16, Brian, the owner of the company, kindly made me double wheels which were smaller than the standard YEDO wheels but fit the same rig. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it.

Karen

I have a YEDO cart made by Paddle Boy.

Karen

Turns out mine is an older cart, also Yedo model with the hard 10" plastic wheels. Thank you for your kind offer Karen, but I think I'll try to find some pneumatic replacement wheels or swap out my rig for Peter's, temporarily, if he's willing, for the 2-mile trek over

an unfinished road.

gary

For long portages, I use a portable yoke. Old Town makes some decent ones. I like the portable yokes because they're much more compact for stowage. I've gone on 2 miles portages with these yokes and they work pretty well. It also gives you a lot more options on terrain - you can't always guarantee a nice easy portage trail that will allow for tires.

As far as dolly - I don't know, however.

For long portages, I use a portable yoke. Old Town makes some decent ones. I like the portable yokes because they're much more compact for stowage. I've gone on 2 miles portages with these yokes and they work pretty well. It also gives you a lot more options on terrain - you can't always guarantee a nice easy portage trail that will allow for tires.

As far as dolly - I don't know, however.

Hmm, seems my concern would be bearings as as apposed to sleeves or bushings on the hubs for a portage that long. My longest 'portage' is usually (100 yards)from the parking lot to the beach.

"Hmm, seems my concern would be bearings as as apposed to sleeves or bushings on the hubs for a portage that long. My longest 'portage' is usually (100 yards)from the parking lot to the beach. risingsn"

Also a concern of mine if I get your drift that bearings would be preferred. I'll plan on carrying the heavier items on my back whilst towing the "light-as-possible" yak on a dolly with recently cleaned and greased bushings.

gary

Thus far, PaddleBoy makes the only carts that are quick and easy to mount and stay put. They also offer a variant with air inflated, removable tires.

Ty

I can vouch for the Paddleboy; the newer wider version (large?) is wide enough to slide nearly up to the cockpit of 22" yaks, thus reducing the "tongue" weight on your hand/arm to a minimal amount.

I have a two-year old one with metal axles and cotter pins; the latest version apparently has even easier to use plastic spin-off hubs. I prefer this design to under-mounted carts that require cinching straps.

The tires work well in sand and over rocks. Spare inner tube is cheap at Home Depot et al.