Cowboy/Ladder Rescues in Conditions

scamlin

We've been hearing about cowboy rescues and ladder rescues in recent years. Similar self-rescues where the capsized paddler scrambles back into the kayak without a float or a roll. The difference is the cowboy is from the side while the ladder is from the stern. Some like them and some disparage them as "party tricks" meant for flat water only.

I came across a couple of clips demonstrating they are useful in conditions. Note in both cases the key is to keep the legs in the water and the torso tight to deck--both which keep the center of gravity low. The cowboy clip shows the value of a brace during the crux of putting the feet back in the cockpit. The ladder version shows it's possible without a brace. As usual, the techniques take practice.

Cowboy rescue at Golden Gate:

Ladder rescue in lumpy conditions:

Food for thought.

Scott

I came across a couple of clips demonstrating they are useful in conditions.

IMHO, those videos depict rather mild "conditions".

...certainly a context where one could get caught off guard in some manner and end up out of their boat. That _can_ happen anywhere. So the demos are still useful, but I wouldn't really call that "conditions".

Cheers!

Ty

Its not obvious in the ladder video, but note how the paddler puts the release loop of the spraydeck in his mouth so it does not end up under him and cause misc. problems while sliding on deck and to be sure it is ready quickly once done.

The ladder rescue is a clip from the DVD "Sea Kayak Safety" which shows common rescue techniques done in calm and lumpy water. Not a bad DVD to watch/buy.

Ed Lawson

Note that the ladder rescue is performed with the boat close to right angles to the "conditions". Had the rescue taken more time there would probably be a broach and perhaps a failure since his paddle was useless for a brace at that time.

I practice the cowboy in moderate conditions every chance I get. Key to success is speed getting from straddle to butt in. I've found that once you're on the boat with legs straddled wide for balance and your chest flat against the deck with both hands gripping the front of the cockpit coaming (and your paddle!), a single quick pull and drop maneuver will slide your butt forward and plop it right back into the cockpit. After that it's relatively easy. This only works if your back deck is clear -- no gear. It also helps to get most of the water out first before climbing on. The video illustrates that nicely. One trick I learned from a superb teacher, Rick Crangle: at the start hold your paddle with the blade in front of you and flat to the water with the shaft resting on your shoulder. Then as you push up on the bow, simultaneously pull down on the paddle. This helps counteract your sinking and gets the bow higher for more complete drainage. A couple quick lifts usually gets most of the water out of my (LV) boat. And by making the straddle-to-butt-in move very quick, you may actually be able to time it to occur between waves. Having a reliable cowboy gives a lot of peace of mind when paddling solo.

Blaine

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that size may matter here. My 5'8", 145 lbs. may give me some advantage over the 6'2, 220 lbs. ex-linebackers among us, at least in this one instance.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that size may matter here. My 5'8", 145 lbs. may give me some advantage over the 6'2, 220 lbs. ex-linebackers among us, at least in this one instance.

Emilie seems to just climb up the side of her Greenland with no effort to balance it, as if it were on dry ground. :thinking:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that size may matter here. My 5'8", 145 lbs. may give me some advantage over the 6'2, 220 lbs. ex-linebackers among us

Yeah, no kidding.

As for "parlor tricks", those who can't often turn to criticism.

6.1 Self Rescue

"With the exception of a "bombproof" roll, most of these fall into the party tricks category, sometimes useful to convince yourself that you will be all right no matter what happens."

Sea Kayak

Gordon Brown, Pg 64.

I suspect his comments are not based on his inability. I also suspect he did not intend to say such techniques are useless.

Ed Lawson

sadly nodding in agreement :rolleyes:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that size may matter here. My 5'8", 145 lbs. may give me some advantage over the 6'2, 220 lbs. ex-linebackers among us

Yeah, no kidding.

I just watched the ladder rescue and it reminded me of my first unstaged roll. We were riding surge through gaps off of Manchester and I got hung up part way as the water receded. Rather than slide down the side I took one hand and kept the boat and I up on the rocks and waited for the next wave. When it came I slid down, capsizing, and rolled up. As I popped up I swelled with pride. I looked to one of the instructors, Rick Crangle, and he said "you took your hand off your paddle". If you practice the ladder rescue I would strongly suggest you heed Rick's advice, i.e. I would never leave my paddle in the water as is shown. I always make sure the rigging on the bow allows me to slide my GP under wraps easily. I'm sure one could install something suitable for spoon.

The old paddle leash trick, that explains why the paddle stood its ground. I realize this was a demo, and the particulars of said demo can be ignored. Leash or not I would prefer to park the paddle on the bow rather than leave it to the whim of the waves. Having a parking mechanism and process comes in handy should a rescue victim hands you their paddle.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching this and other cowboy re-entries I would suggest you launch/land across the cockpit instead of the back deck. You can swing a leg across and drop into the cockpit without actually sitting up and thus remain lower in the boat. You also get in the cockpit/boat faster this way.

"After watching this and other cowboy re-entries I would suggest you launch/land across the cockpit instead of the back deck. You can swing a leg across and drop into the cockpit without actually sitting up and thus remain lower in the boat. You also get in the cockpit/boat faster this way."

Great idea becuase I failed my re-entries last year. I'just a bit too wide to drop into my cockpit. I'm loosing some weight now so jus tmaybe I can slide within a lot of difficulty. :yippie: