MITA

gyork

I have spent many wonderful days and nights on several of MITA (Maine Island Trail Association)'s beautiful sites, and spend much of my winter idle time dreaming of Maine sea safaris to yet unexplored destinations. One of the best on-line MITA resources is the interactive nautical chart of the the entire upper NE coast, with GPS waypoints corresponding to the cursor arrow.

When joining or renewing your membership to MITA, please consider opting not to receive a new guidebook, provided you have a hard copy. This will keep printing costs down, allow reuse of your current copy, and perhaps allow for redistribution of savings to things like stewardship, public relations, etc. Typically there is very little new information added to the book each year, and supplemental information can be printed from the on-line version of the guide, if needed.

Thank you for joining or renewing, and please consider padding your dues contribution to a wonderful resource for NSPN sea kayakers.

Gary

Another nice thing about the on-line guide is the potential for updates and corrections to be made during the year.

It is also much easier to get an overview of the area surrounding an island using the on-line guide. The chart segments in the printed guide often do not enable you to do so. In some cases this can make it hard to identify an island which is not named on the NOAA chart. Of course, the printed guide is nice this time of year as you can thumb through thinking about trips made and trips to be done while staying warm next to the woodstove.

Ed Lawson

I haven't 'warmed up' yet to the on line guides. I think it still looks a little bit cumbersome but it is improving. I really like the printed guide to flip through in bed before the lights go out. At those times I don't really want a computer with me in bed. A book in hand is really nice. I would love to have it in Kindle format though.

Another nice thing about the on-line guide is the potential for updates and corrections to be made during the year.

It is also much easier to get an overview of the area surrounding an island using the on-line guide. The chart segments in the printed guide often do not enable you to do so. In some cases this can make it hard to identify an island which is not named on the NOAA chart. Of course, the printed guide is nice this time of year as you can thumb through thinking about trips made and trips to be done while staying warm next to the woodstove.

Ed Lawson

I haven't 'warmed up' yet to the on line guides. I think it still looks a little bit cumbersome but it is improving. I really like the printed guide to flip through in bed before the lights go out. At those times I don't really want a computer with me in bed. A book in hand is really nice. I would love to have it in Kindle format though.

I really love the spiral bound book nowadays. Much better than the bound format. I would second Rene's thought on having it availalbe on the kindle. I got a Kindle for Xmas and am loving it. Will definitely be bringing it on my next camping trip tucked into a DryCase (which can be purchased locally at Kittery Trading Post in the paddlesports department. Of course if bought locally, I will get my teensy tiny commission).

http://www.drycase.com/ The bag will keep my kindle safe and because of the vacuum technology, I will know when the bag isn't sealed.

Does capacitive (multi-touch) touch screen work through that case? ...is there any chance they will make a smaller, phone size version?

Thanks!

Ty

The phone version already exists and works great with the touch screen. (It works great with an Iphone I would guess that the droid would be about as good). I really like the setup and feel better when I am walking or Jogging with my phone in the rain/snow. I normally don't take the phone in the boat unless I am camping.

-Jason

Does capacitive (multi-touch) touch screen work through that case? ...is there any chance they will make a smaller, phone size version?

Thanks!

Ty

As Jason said, it works fine. Capacitive screens work fine. When using with buttons that you need to push/depress, the trick is not remove ALL the air, just most of the air. My phone works through the bag for calling also. When you make a phone call, you can hear but to allow the caller to hear you, the trick is to leave some air in the bag as it allows the sound waves to carry.

Suz