Winter rescues

gyork

After verifying the ice is safe before walking/skating/otherwise traveling out on that frozen river/pond/lake, consider donning your lightweight kayak tow belt. That, among other implements might prove useful in your role as rescuer or victm.

Just musing, while waiting for the snow and ice to go away.

Gary

Apparently we'll have a 'cold one' on Sunday. Don't lick any metal objects folks.

After verifying the ice is safe before walking/skating/otherwise traveling out on that frozen river/pond/lake, consider donning your lightweight kayak tow belt. That, among other implements might prove useful in your role as rescuer or victm.

Gary

Gary

That's a really good idea. I confess to having worn my pfd to go out and chop holes to check the ice thickness. Looked quite silly, but then there was no around to see me (or see me if I fell thru). The tow belt is a much better idea than carrying a climbing rope, which I have done while skating. A few years ago, a 4-wheeler drove right into "couldn't be more obvious open water" near my house and snowmobilers consistently seem to like to play chicken with the thin ice near the dam. Good to be prepared to assist from a safe distance.

Gay