KAYAK DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION WORKSHOP

rylevine

KAYAK DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION Workshop

by Fred Randall and Mike Aguiar

February 19 from 10:00am – 2:00pm

271 Western Ave, #B5 Lynn MA 01904

(Western Ave is Rt 107, just across the Lynn line from Salem, parking is along both sides of Western Ave, side entrance to Pinkham Building from Rockingham Street to basement, follow signs inside building).

This is an informal discussion session for the design and construction of kayaks. For first-timers, this will be an opportunity to find out what’s involved in constructing these beautiful boats. We especially welcome kayak builders in our community to come and share their experiences.

Fred will discuss the history, design principles, and construction procedures for building replicas of Greenland Skin-On-Frames (SOF) qajaqs. He will bring several qajaqs, including a completed "Ken Taylor", a completed frame of a South Greenland qajaq, and the deck frame of a East Greenland qajaq.

Mike will follow to lead a discussion on wood kayak construction, with an emphasis on strip building methods. A general outline will be presented with on site illustrations. We will have on display four wooden boats at varying degrees of completion; a finished Guillemot, a half-stripped Guillemot Expedition, an epoxied and glassed Petrel, and a stitch and glue tandem wood duck, as well as the various tools and implements required.

Please RSVP here or at rylevine@comcast.net

I met Fred at a SMSKN meeting in Falmouth (ME) tonight and he turned out to be a very interesting guy who knows a lot about skin boats. The SMSKN folks told me he's the go to guy for skin on frame. He has a great workshop planned with lots of show and tell. He's looking forward to meeting NSPN skin boaters and wannabes. Sounds like a great event.

Kudos to Bob for putting it together.

Scott

Bob -- please sign me up. Great idea! looking forward to it.

Blaine

(Western Ave is Rt 107, just across the Lynn line from Salem, parking is along both sides of Western Ave, side entrance to Pinkham Building from Rockingham Street to basement, follow signs inside building).

This is an informal discussion session for the design and construction of kayaks. For first-timers, this will be an opportunity to find out what’s involved in constructing these beautiful boats. We especially welcome kayak builders in our community to come and share their experiences.

Fred will discuss the history, design principles, and construction procedures for building replicas of Greenland Skin-On-Frames (SOF) qajaqs. He will bring several qajaqs, including a completed "Ken Taylor", a completed frame of a South Greenland qajaq, and the deck frame of a East Greenland qajaq.

Mike will follow to lead a discussion on wood kayak construction, with an emphasis on strip building methods. A general outline will be presented with on site illustrations. We will have on display four wooden boats at varying degrees of completion; a finished Guillemot, a half-stripped Guillemot Expedition, an epoxied and glassed Petrel, and a stitch and glue tandem wood duck, as well as the various tools and implements required.

Count me in!

• 2 weeks later...

SLIGHT CORRECTION: The entrance is on CLEVELAND Street, which is the continuation of Rockingham St across Western Ave. The side entrance has double red doors. See you there!

SLIGHT CORRECTION: The entrance is on CLEVELAND Street, which is the continuation of Rockingham St across Western Ave. The side entrance has double red doors.

We are planning a potluck lunch. Will be providing a casserole dish and fried wontons. Other dishes welcome. See you there!

Linda and I are planning to attend. Is there anything you would like me to bring, such as examples of tools, rib bending jigs, steam boxes, sharpening gear, etc.? I also have some samples of skin fabrics, some rib stock and such.

Brian,

I would be interested in fabric, rib stock, and bending jigs. Actually, all special-purpose tools are excellent - whatever is convenient to bring in. I'm meeting Fred at 9:30 to help set up. I could help carry in material.

Thank you.

Bob

I wasn't planning on this, but after reading the description, I might try to come. Will respond later tonight as to yes or no. Thanks, Bob, for putting it together. Nancy

Change of plans...doesn't look like I'll be making it tomorrow. Sounds like it's shaping up to be a great workshop.....have fun.

Dam, going to have to miss this one as the expansion tank on furnace blew this morning. Big clean up. good news is the power was out all night as if it hadn't been, the system would have pumped and pumped for hours most likely without my knowledge till morning came. Well it would have given me my own personal pool to have practices in I suppose.

post-100631-0-23084900-1298163814_thumb.post-100631-0-04725800-1298163368_thumb.post-100631-0-62112300-1298162997_thumb.post-100631-0-23317600-1298162948_thumb.post-100631-0-39592800-1298162735_thumb.post-100631-0-93542900-1298162469_thumb.post-100631-0-35477300-1298162567_thumb.post-100631-0-50738700-1298162617_thumb.post-100631-0-49088600-1298162641_thumb.

I would like to thank Fred Randall for the enjoyable and informative presentation on SOFs, and then the hands-on demonstration of techniques, and then staying on to lead discussions and answer questions. Also, thanks to Brian Nystrom for contributing his expertise on SOF design and construction in the discussions. There is no doubt that the participants took away a deeper understanding of these kayaks through their efforts. Thanks also to Mike Aguiar and Leon Muratov for meeting with people interested in strip and stitch-glue techniques. Great workshop!

Bob

post-100631-0-37720200-1298162891_thumb.

post-100631-0-06273000-1298163169_thumb.