Incredible collection of historical Greenland photographs

dsigall

Yesterday, after stowing my kayak out of the way of the weather I had a little time for some aimless web wanderings and found an amazing collection of photographs made in Greenland by members of the British Artic Air Route Expedition in 1930 & '31. Seal hunting, rolling, kayak frames, sewing on skins on frame, deck fittings, Inuit people & dwellings– it's all there and really beautifully photographed. The Scott Polar Research Institute at the University of Cambridge maintains the originals and online database and catalogue of this expedition and many others as well going back as far as the Franklin Expedition of 1857.

The BAARE photos are at http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/library/pictures/catalogue/baare/gallery/'>http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/library/pictures/catalogue/baare/gallery/

The step off page of the entire expeditions library is at http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/library/pictures/

enjoy!

Dana

Spectacular find, Dana! I need to go through them again tomorrow!

Cheers,

Rob

Yeah, some of these images are really captivating, one of my favorites– http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/library/pictures/catalogue/article/p48.16.347/

What do you think the 2 short blade-like things are on the deck in this image? http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/library/pictures/catalogue/article/p2001.84.8/

They each have a notch in the edge– maybe a harpoon throwing stick? Club to subdue a lively catch? Spare paddle just in case? Multi-tool?

Interesting how the harpoon tie-off (I think that's what it is) runs down the back leg of the creel, under a deck line and around behind the cockpit opening. It must fasten at the stern, don't you think? I suppose you would want your seal to pull the kayak sideways so as to give as much resistance and tire your catch as quickly as possible. Must take some very quick & astute bracing bracing skills.

Dana

They each have a notch in the edge– maybe a harpoon throwing stick?

First, I am very grateful to you for the link to the full set of photos. Wonderful photos.

Those are indeed throwing sticks for the harpoons. They can be used for rolling instead of the paddle. Greenland hunters did not carry spare paddles. They had enough stuff on the deck as some of the pictures show.

Interesting how the harpoon tie-off (I think that's what it is)

The harpoon line is not tied to the kayak. It is connected to a bladder float that is stowed on the rear deck. Some of the photos show the float behind the paddler. They threw the harpoon and then had to quickly toss out the float before the line got entangled if the harpoon struck. No small feat. Then they followed the float until the seal tired, and they killed it with a lance or knife. Then they had to fill the seal with air so it would not sink while they towed it home. I don't think you want the details of that task.

I suppose you would want your seal to pull the kayak sideways so as to give as much resistance and tire your catch as quickly as possible. Must take some very quick & astute bracing bracing skills.

Getting the line entangled on the deck and being pulled by a seal, or worse, a walrus was a major disaster, resulted in an intense struggle, and was a matter of life and death. There is an exercise called the walrus pull and people get seriously injured doing it. FWIW I have seen a similar, but less demanding, pull exercise used to teach people to do braces/side surf.

Ed Lawson

The harpoon line is not tied to the kayak. It is connected to a bladder float that is stowed on the rear deck. Some of the photos show the float behind the paddler. They threw the harpoon and then had to quickly toss out the float before the line got entangled if the harpoon struck. No small feat. Then they followed the float until the seal tired, and they killed it with a lance or knife. Then they had to fill the seal with air so it would not sink while they towed it home. I don't think you want the details of that task.

Thanks for the background Ed. That makes more sense. A few of the images do show bladders on the rear deck or in the water.

Sigall-san, thank you for that <wonderful> link! Priceless!

At the same Polar Institute are, of course, all of Wilson's watercolours, which I have long wished to see (a close friend went especially to see them, years ago, and reported back). Wilson (Dr. Wilson) died in the tent with Bowers and Scott; but his paintings are preserved and I have seen some of them in books -- spectacular colours!

There is also common ground with other explorers regarding the photographs of the aircraft: Amy Johnson flew a Gypsy Moth from the UK to Australia -- first woman to do so (G-AAAH: it now hangs in the Science Museum in South Kensington -- see that <this> expedition's aircraft was registered G-AAZM, I think) and the great navigator Francis Chichester also flew one from New Zealand to Australia, becoming the first person to cross the Tasman Sea. This aircraft was also float-equipped. He later flew it to Japan, where he had an accident, thus putting an end to his planned global circumnavigation -- this was either in 1929 or 1930...

What well-preserved photos those are, by the way, and how smiling the native Inuit!

Ed, I presume that another potential problem for the hunter after catching a seal might have been predatory leopard seals, looking for a free hand-out? Hmmm...