recommend a spray skirt

Phil Allen

OK, new boat on the way, and my existing sprayskirt is on its 3rd or 4th round of aquaseal on the holes. So what do people like in sprayskirts these days? Looking for neoprene, maybe reinforced rim, and options like connecting a chart case could be appealing.

Phil

Hi Doug,

Where would you go to order special color when Seals won't really let you order directly?

I use a white-water spray-skirt by "Seals" called the "Pro Shocker". It's built to withstand conditions I put myself in and keeps my cockpit fairly dry. You can order custom colors and sizes as well for a moderate up charge.

http://www.sealsskirts.com/prod_ww_proshocker.html

OK, new boat on the way, and my existing sprayskirt is on its 3rd or 4th round of aquaseal on the holes. So what do people like in sprayskirts these days? Looking for neoprene, maybe reinforced rim, and options like connecting a chart case could be appealing.

Phil

Either Snapdragon or Seals. I have a Valley (made by Seals) for my AvocetLV, which keeps me dry. Bob has a Seals Pro Shocker for his CetusLV, which he loves.

Both last forever and take abuse. Snapdragon seems to multiply on its own, though, given how many of these skirts we seem to have. :rolleyes:

The sizing for both companies is true for the waist, as are the sizing guides for the cockpits on the various kayaks.

Joel at New England Small Craft carries Seals in various incarnations.

Deb M :roll:

Emilie special ordered a Snap Dragon for her Tahe through CRCK. We also ordered a "stock" on through CRCK for the Avocet RM. Both are great.

We've had Seals for the Tandem and for my old plastic rec boat. They've worked great on the Tandem and worked quite well on my rec boat, but after 3 years, it was wearing holes around the coming. I think that is more a vote for reinforced edges than a complaint against Seals.

Cheers!

Ty

I have a Seals Extreme Tour 1.4 (cockpit size: that fits the Cetus, Explorer etc) and like it very much. Reinforced deck rim, 4 little loops along rim that can be used to attach bungees, or a pouch, etc.

Comfortable, durable. For me the most important thing in a spray skirt is how easy & fast it is to affix to cockpit , and this works very well with the Extreme Tour. .

Seals has excellent customer service.

I have a Seals Extreme Tour 1.4 (cockpit size: that fits the Cetus, Explorer etc) and like it very much. Reinforced deck rim, 4 little loops along rim that can be used to attach bungees, or a pouch, etc.

Omigosh, is THAT what the little tabs on the sides are for? I've wondered and wondered.... Anyway, I give a vote to Seals too. I have their lowliest version, custom made for the quirky cockpit on the Mariner Elan, and it has stood up to much use with no show of wear. It's easy to get on and off the cockpit, and reasonably (versus perfectly) watertight. And I also found their customer service (while ordering the strange size) to be friendly.

Can't wait to see the new boat, Phil!

Kate

I special ordered a Reed sprayskirt for the Impex Force 3--I found it to be the best sprayskirt I've ever had--light, kept me dry, easy to take off and put on the cockpit coaming--maybe more expense than most sprayskirts--but worth the money--also the customer service was responsive and helpful.

Les

Just thought I would mention that whatever skirt you do get the tunnel needs to line up with the location of the seat.

Perhaps it's common knowledge, but for me it was an education. My lesson was.... though I ordered a nice Immersion spray skirt it fit both boats ...if I wasn't wearing the spray skirt.

But as soon as I wore the skirt I could hardly get it around the front coaming of the Ellsemere, yet it was fine on an Alvik

but why ?

The seat of the Elsemere sits very far back in the cockpit... there is hardly any space from the back of the seat to the bulkhead and coaming. The sprayskirt would hardly reach the front of the coaming yet in the back it would pucker with extra material behind me.

In the Alvik the seat was centered more forward in the cockpit.

Looking at the skirt, the tunnel also was made with several inches of material before the tunnel started there fore it matched one boat fine yet not the other... though both cockpit measurements were about the same.

Something you might want to keep in mind, though it might not be an issue with your new boat.

Hi Leslie,

Which model of Reed did you get?

I special ordered a Reed sprayskirt for the Impex Force 3--I found it to be the best sprayskirt I've ever had--light, kept me dry, easy to take off and put on the cockpit coaming--maybe more expense than most sprayskirts--but worth the money--also the customer service was responsive and helpful.

Les

OK, new boat on the way,

So what's the new boat? The Cetus MV you liked so much?

I'm on a second Snapdragon Glacier Tour (WITHOUT the pricier reinforced edge, which according to CRCK would make it harder to mount as well). I like the large Velcro adjustable tunnel and the front cross strap for securing a water bottle (somewhat!), that doubles as a big grab handle if I were to ever accidentally attach with grab loop inside. The ribbed coated neo seems extremely durable without need for edge reinforcement.

I have been using the Reed spray decks for quite a while now. I've had the pleasure of putting them through some pretty miserable conditions including breaking through good sized surf. I've never had one come off unintentionally, no rips even with rescues, easy to put on in any weather and easy to carry a spare in your permanent kit (in case you arrive at the launch and yours is still at home on the drying rack...)

They do make them with map case attachments but I didn't like them. They also can be fitted with a tunnel that your pump could fit through to pump out with spray deck in place; closes with a dry-bag-like roll up. (its like having a big "innie" in your spray deck)

I've heard others mention theirs tore easily but I use nothing else and I just haven't seen it. (I'm not known for being easy on my gear either)

hope that's helpful, Jon

Jon, do you place your orders directly on the Reed web site?

I have been using the Reed spray decks for quite a while now. I've had the pleasure of putting them through some pretty miserable conditions including breaking through good sized surf. I've never had one come off unintentionally, no rips even with rescues, easy to put on in any weather and easy to carry a spare in your permanent kit (in case you arrive at the launch and yours is still at home on the drying rack...)

They do make them with map case attachments but I didn't like them. They also can be fitted with a tunnel that your pump could fit through to pump out with spray deck in place; closes with a dry-bag-like roll up. (its like having a big "innie" in your spray deck)

I've heard others mention theirs tore easily but I use nothing else and I just haven't seen it. (I'm not known for being easy on my gear either)

hope that's helpful, Jon

Hi Leslie,

Which model of Reed did you get?

I got the one without the map links--has a tunnel with suspenders. I ordered it directly from them and got it in no time. You have to take exact measurements of your cockpit. Because the Impex is so narrow they had me make sure my measurements were correct. So I took pictures of the cockpit that showed the measurements. The pictures also showed the back of the seat distance to cockpit.

I got the sprayskirt quickly with little wait time. My suggestion is to take pictures of your measurements. I originally asked for the map hooks but they made a mistake and did not make the hooks on the skirt. In hindsight, I am glad they forgot the hooks. They gave me a refund for the missing hooks.

Like Jon D, the skirt gets used with lots of paddling and I have never had a problem. It is a weird material and some people have told me that they got a rash from the tunnel. I never did get a rash from the tunnel. However, I also have their long sleeved shirt and I did get a weird rash on my arms when I first started to wear it.

Les

This is an interesting thread -- I have always liked my Snapdragons; but now I read all you guys who say that your various sprayskirts keep you totally <dry> and that makes me start thinking...that that is a state with which I am unfamiliar! I always get wet underneath my Snapdragons. Perhaps you guys don't spend enough time upside-down? Or are my sprayskirts simply not as good as yours? They are <rugged> enough; but watertight? Hardly...

I <was> thinking, earlier this year, about the feasibility of spraying Scotchguard (or similar) on to the skirt: any opinions?

Yeah, I've got 4 sprayskirts and none of them really keeps me dry if I mess around in the water. I have resigned to get one that works as 'well' as the other 4 but one that is the easiest to put on. I do want to start practicing attaching the sprayskirt underwater during reentry and roll.

This is an interesting thread -- I have always liked my Snapdragons; but now I read all you guys who say that your various sprayskirts keep you totally <dry> and that makes me start thinking...that that is a state with which I am unfamiliar! I always get wet underneath my Snapdragons. Perhaps you guys don't spend enough time upside-down? Or are my sprayskirts simply not as good as yours? They are <rugged> enough; but watertight? Hardly...

I <was> thinking, earlier this year, about the feasibility of spraying Scotchguard (or similar) on to the skirt: any opinions?

Rene, I don't think you need to worry <too much> about re-entry and roll, frankly. Once you have the confidence that you <can> perform this little trick, you'll never do it again, most likely. The bigger "feat" being never to come out of your boat, in the first place!

Once we get back to sensible-temperature water in the spring, come and play in "The Cut" where the Annisquam flows in the harbour: it will give you loads of confidence for rolling in anything.

I can reentry and roll just fine but I have not practiced reentry-attach sprayskirt-and roll

Rene, I don't think you need to worry <too much> about re-entry and roll, frankly. Once you have the confidence that you <can> perform this little trick, you'll never do it again, most likely. The bigger "feat" being never to come out of your boat, in the first place!

Once we get back to sensible-temperature water in the spring, come and play in "The Cut" where the Annisquam flows in the harbour: it will give you loads of confidence for rolling in anything.

They also can be fitted with a tunnel that your pump could fit through to pump out with spray deck in place; closes with a dry-bag-like roll up. (its like having a big "innie" in your spray deck)

Why isn't this a common feature? If done well, it could make pumping out a boat in rough water a whole lot more productive.

...does anyone have a web site for Reed? ...or a vendor who's web site lists all their skirts and options? My (short) attempt at google'ing turned up a number of places that only carry a couple of items and few options.

Thanks!

Ty

Here you go: http://www.chillcheater.com/

Why isn't this a common feature? If done well, it could make pumping out a boat in rough water a whole lot more productive.

...does anyone have a web site for Reed? ...or a vendor who's web site lists all their skirts and options? My (short) attempt at google'ing turned up a number of places that only carry a couple of items and few options.

Thanks!

Ty