Paddle Saturday after Thanksgiving (L3 or lower?)

billvoss

Hi All,

This is my first time trying to instigate an NSPN trip. So please pardon my lack of experience. This will be a CAM trip, as I'm definitely NOT qualified to lead a kayak trip. Please don't think I know what I am doing! Though even I know that a drysuit will be required for this paddle.

Because of my family constraints, this trip will occur on Saturday after Thanksgiving.

This will be a L3 or lower trip, expecting to cover say 10 to 15 miles.

BIB late morning, say around 10:30am.

I need the board's help in picking a location. Though I like minor bumps, I don't want this trip to be canceled because of weather. So something with at least a protected option would be preferred. Other than that, I'm willing to launch anywhere between Boston and Portsmouth.

So who wants to join me?

Even if you are not sure you can join me, do you have any suggestions on where we should go?

thanks,

Bill Voss

I am interested in paddling on Saturday, 11/27. NSPN used to have a tradition of a Post-Turkey Day paddle on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Should we try to revive it?

Somewhat like the Solstice, in reverse. Trips launch from different locations and meet up on Great Misery to share leftovers.

Level 2(+)(the + is for the crossing to Misery) from Manchester Harbor (3 options: Masconomo Point, behind the police station, Tuck's)

Level 3 from Beverly

Level 4 from Marblehead.

Here are a couple of old trip reports:

2001, the short report: http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2789&st=0&p=17872&hl=+post%20+turkey%20+day&fromsearch=1entry17872

2001, the report of the infamous rescue: http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2790&st=0&p=17871&hl=+post%20+turkey%20+day&fromsearch=1entry17871

2003 weather does not matter plus a reference to a new tradition that did not catch on: http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2894&st=0&p=17624&hl=+post%20+turkey%20+day&fromsearch=1entry17624

Liz

NSPN used to have a tradition of a Post-Turkey Day paddle on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Should we try to revive it?

Certainly feel free to start a Friday trip thread. It sounds like it would be fun. Unfortunately, Saturday is the only day I expect to have free for paddling this coming weekend. So lets keep this thread focused on a Saturday paddle, so that I can attend! :)

I need the board's help in picking a location.

So far Liz has the only suggestion (thanks Liz):

Somewhat like the Solstice, in reverse. Trips launch from different locations and meet up on Great Misery to share leftovers.

Level 2(+)(the + is for the crossing to Misery) from Manchester Harbor (3 options: Masconomo Point, behind the police station, Tuck's)

Level 3 from Beverly

Level 4 from Marblehead.

• I'm personally mainly interested in a roughly L3 trip. Are there others who would like to form L2(+) or L4 pods?
  • Does anyone have another suggestion, of does Beverly to Great Misery win by default?
  • Where is the Beverly put-in? I did not find a listing on the NSPN Put-Ins page.
  • Is the Beverly to Great Misery route sensitive to tides? I believe North Shore high tide is around 3pm that Saturday.
  • Is there a good alternative route from Beverly if NOAA posts gale warnings and a SCA?

P.S.

Sharing leftovers is optional. :558:

Bill, here are a few alternatives: Launch from the Willows in Salem (free parking behind the tennis courts). Across the entrance to the Danvers River is Tuck Point in Beverly. Finally if the weather doesn't cooperate and you still want to get out but with less distance launch from Tuck's Point Manchester. Another launch equal in distance to the Salem put-in is Black Beach near Magnolia.(Ocean Street) None of these alternatives is particularly sensitive to tides.

I'm detecting a number of people who might be interested, but no strong site preferences among my potential paddling companions. So inspired by Liz and Gene's suggestions, in my capacity as fearless leader cowardly inexperienced trip instigator, I'm going to shamelessly steal propose repeating an AMC trip that I greatly enjoyed. (Thanks again for leading that AMC trip Kevin and Dennis.)

Here is the plan.

Date: Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 27th, 2010.

BIB: 10:30 a.m.

Launch Site: David S. Lynch Park in Beverly, MA. We will launch from the beach by the large parking lot. The NOAA RNC 13275 chart with the title "Salem and Lynn Harbors" shows the launch site as Mackerel Cove just west of Woodbury Pt. According to the park regulations, we can park for free at this time of year. Unfortunately, the regulations also say the restrooms are closed after October. :( So plan accordingly.

After launching, we will head east along the coast bound for Great Misery Island just west of the Manchester Harbor. Where we will hopefully enjoy a snack/lunch, and perhaps inspect the Public restrooms (composting toilets; open seasonally).

Depending on sea state, and the mood of the group, we then have the option of circumnavigating Bakers Island which lies just SSE of the Misery islands before returning to Great Misery Island for a possible final inspection of the Public restrooms (composting toilets; open seasonally).

If we head back to Lynch Park after circumnavigating Bakers Island, the total trip should be roughly 11 land miles.

I would appreciated receiving standard NSPN RSVPs for this trip. Obviously if you don't RSVP, but happen to show up at the same place and time wanting to paddle in the same direction at the same speed, we will tolerate enjoy your company. However, without a couple of RSVPs the trip might be canceled leaving you paddling alone!

:th_bf-hurrismileypalm: SAT...W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 2 TO

4 FT...BUILDING TO 4 TO 6 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

Small craft advisory until Saturday afternoon.

I would like to do this trip but I will wait until I see if the forecast changes--

Les

:th_bf-hurrismileypalm: SAT...W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 2 TO

4 FT...BUILDING TO 4 TO 6 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

Small craft advisory until Saturday afternoon.

I would like to do this trip but I will wait until I see if the forecast changes--

Les

yeah, i've been watching that too. sounds a bit too exciting for me.

the forecast is often wrong, however...

nevertheless, my son is in town for the weekend, and i don't get to see him

much anymore, so i will be a no show tomorrow regardless of weather.

i might be avail to paddle tuesday or wednesday before i head back to nevada,

if the weather calms down and if work isn't too pressing.

I'm not enthralled at prospect of paddling in conditions as forecast for tomorrow - so unless a radical change for the better, I'll hope for a calmer day and another inspiration by Bill (or others) to suggest a trip another late fall/early winter day!

pru

i might be avail to paddle tuesday or wednesday before i head back to nevada,

if the weather calms down and if work isn't too pressing.

I'm possibly up for an L3 Monday, if my sore back improves. Tuesday might be ok, if a bit windier and cloudy.

Perhaps we should start another thread...?

Ern