Tuck's to Dry Breakers, Children's & Miseries

subaruguru

Four of us shared a nice parting paddle yesterday before Leon heads South. A full 3-4 DOZEN big grey seals saluted as we rounded the Breakers, followed by a brisk run to sloppy landings for lunch at Children's. Just a bit of bump and swell, and a few interesting pairs of OPPOSITE direction breakers (clapotis?) at low tide just to confuse us a bit. See Lisa's trace (we tried to trace a hanging Xmas Eve stocking) and pics soon.

Hoping for a couple more 50 degree balmy ones before the Holidays.

See you all at the Party!

I did this same trip two weeks ago, minus Children's and Eagle (which were also tempting but a bit too far considering my late start). It was a perfect afternoon, light wind, brilliant sunshine. I was just going to go around Bakers, but once there the Dry Breakers appeared in the near distance, enticingly beautiful and mysterious. Nearing the channel between them I suddenly saw splashes all around, which quickly turned into seal heads popping up everywhere. I twisted around in my seat and was shocked to realize I was completely surrounded by dozens of seals on all sides at varying distances, all staring at me. In my three years of kayaking I'd seen an occasional solitary seal at a distance, but nothing like this. There were two sandy colored mottled pups eyeing me warily from the shore of the island until one at a time they lost their nerve and slid into the water. I watched as one bold seal submerged then popped back up a few seconds later, closer. He did this three or four times until he appeared 15-20 feet off my bow, staring with huge wide eyes. Yikes!! I found myself anxiously trying to recall if I'd ever heard of a seal attack, but could only remember the tale of Andre climbing into a boat, which seemed reassuring enough.

I hung around taking in the amazing show, wishing I had bought that camera I've been considering, and talking out loud to seals (a benefit of paddling solo!) for twenty minutes before heading back via the Gooseberrys and Miserys. The view from the "summit" of S. Gooseberry of the entire bay in the late afternoon sun was exquisite, as was the gorgeous sunset as I left Little Misery for Tucks. I have no doubt that this trip will always remain on my top five list.

Blaine

I hung around taking in the amazing show, wishing I had bought that camera I've been considering...

It's difficult, though. Makes you appreciate the wildlife photographers. I took a couple of pictures of the seals, but they are all blurry. The seals blend in with the rocks, and it's not good for them when we scare them off. Maybe if we go there again in the spring I'll make more of an effort to rinse the lens first, then pick a side with the sun behind me, stay further away, and see what Panasonic's supposed super zoom can do (!)

I really enjoyed your pictures. It looked like a fine paddle.

Thanks, Doug. I'm always inspired by yours to try harder :-)

In retrospect, as thrilling as my close-up seal encounter was, I do wish I had seen them earlier before scaring them into the water. I would have tried to stay at a non-threatening distance, although according to the article below that might be difficult as it can be 300 meters or more, at which distance most of us would not even be aware of them.

I found this study with good information on our potential impact on seals: http://www.macalester.edu/environmentalstudies/macenvreview/harbor_seal.htm

It states:

"The Mammal Protection Act of 19724 ("MMPA") was enacted in response to concerns that human activities can be harmful to marine mammals. ..... It is also illegal .... to do anything that has the potential to disturb a harbor seal in the wild by causing disruption of its behavior patterns. .... Thus, the MMPA may be violated by boaters who cause seals to return to the water from a haul-out ledge."

This study indicates that a paddled boat is far more likely than a power boat to disturb seal behavior by flushing them off their perches.

Blaine

Here's a pix I took back in 2006 at the Dry Breakers. Forgive me for disturbing the seal ... I didn't know better at the time.

post-100270-0-69374400-1290274692_thumb.

In retrospect, as thrilling as my close-up seal encounter was, I do wish I had seen them earlier before scaring them into the water. I would have tried to stay at a non-threatening distance, although according to the article below that might be difficult as it can be 300 meters or more, at which distance most of us would not even be aware of them.

I found this study with good information on our potential impact on seals: http://www.macalester.edu/environmentalstudies/macenvreview/harbor_seal.htm

It states:

"The Mammal Protection Act of 19724 ("MMPA") was enacted in response to concerns that human activities can be harmful to marine mammals. ..... It is also illegal .... to do anything that has the potential to disturb a harbor seal in the wild by causing disruption of its behavior patterns. .... Thus, the MMPA may be violated by boaters who cause seals to return to the water from a haul-out ledge."

This study indicates that a paddled boat is far more likely than a power boat to disturb seal behavior by flushing them off their perches.

Nice link and info.

Some of the info I noticed mentioned that motor boats are by far the primary factor of seals flushing off their haul outs, no doubt about it.(93%)

While 55% of paddled boats can cause a "flushing" we are simply vastly outnumbered by motor boats.

It is a continuing education to learn how our paddling activities affect various species and we can try our best to minimize our effect on species,honest "mistakes' are simply that.

We don't run them over, shoot them, beat them with clubs etc etc.

The law went into effect in 1972 after years of Harbor seals being " shot for sport" or killed as a "nuisance" species among other things.

Nice to see they are on the rebound and we have not killed them off by looking at them though we may have unintentional consequences by getting to close it is not remotely akin to what has happened to them in the past.

So feel free to feel good about your experience it was both remarkable and educational as well.

ps.. looks like I didn't use the quote function correctly

Hope it's not to confusing.

A couple of us paddled by the Dry Breakers today, and this time I kept a close watch out for seals. We stayed a good distance away as we paddled around the two small islands. We saw none until reaching a spot where a string of low rocks connecting the two islands came in view. We could just make out two seals lying on these rocks, heads raised, alert. We were about 150 yards away and had been paddling at right angles to them, not approaching. We stopped paddling. Regardless, they began to move and then slid into the water.

We kayakers mean them no harm, unlike some boaters who in the past precipitated passage of the MMPA. I doubt any of us NSPNers would ever intentionally harass wildlife. BUT, if seals are so skittish that they head for the water every time a kayak passes by at a good distance, then it seems there's not much to be done other than all of us steering clear of known seal habitats entirely, for example, never visiting the Dry Breakers, which are one of the most beautiful sights in the area. But a major reason many of us kayak is to observe and appreciate wildlife in their natural habitat. So, how do we resolve this dilemma?

My provisional conclusion, until something convinces me otherwise, is this:

I will continue trying always to be respectful of wildlife I encounter and never intentionally frighten them. However, I may approach slowly and non-aggressively to some reasonable distance so that I might observe and photograph. If they flee, then as always, I'll feel bad for frightening them but this will not change my behavior -- unless and until I become convinced that my actions are actually doing them real and lasting harm. At the present time, however, I'm of the opinion that my entering seal habitat, with the result that many of them leave their rocks for the water, is merely a nuisance and inconvenience for them, not a danger.

Contrary opinions??

Blaine

Phew...that's a tricky one for me, too. The fact that a couple DOZEN large heads surfaced simultaneously, forming an arc a good 120 degrees or so around us last week left me thinking that it wasn't the seals who should've been fearful! Annoyed? I'm not qualified to respond. But I was left with the feeling of being an invader. Would having a camera be sufficient rationale to justify the provocation? Hmmm...I dunno.

May I suggest that you repost a separate thread? I don't think too many potential responders will find your query tailed off my trip report.

Best,

Ern

At the present time, however, I'm of the opinion that my entering seal habitat, with the result that many of them leave their rocks for the water, is merely a nuisance and inconvenience for them, not a danger.

Contrary opinions??

I too have had frustrating moments when hauled out seals slid off when I am far away. It has happened even with a working lobster boat between them and me. They are very skittish about kayaks. However, there is a great deal of harm that can occur when hauled out seals are scattered. In whelping season it can result in pups getting abandoned for starters. After you have run across a few abandoned and dying pups, you really start to think about it. Late in the season when they have migrated down coast, that is not the issue. I suspect it is not good for them to expend extra energy in the winter nor good for well being if they are resting and digesting while hauled out, but don't know. Certainly not as bad as deer getting run by dogs in the winter.

High tide when they are out and about is not an issue for kayakers. I try to see if there are signs of disturbance such as raising their heads as I go by, but they can bail when you are far away and they are hard to see.

So I guess you should rethink there is no harm, but getting compulsive about it may not be a good thing either.

Ed Lawson

So I guess you should rethink there is no harm, but getting compulsive about it may not be a good thing either.

I agree that we may be harming the adults energy-wise, and the concern about the pups is real. The 300m perimeter would essentially close off some very beautiful locations such as the dry breakers. Perhaps using binoculars to scan the rocks from a distance would make sense before proceeding into these areas?

Bob

I have been paddling in Salem Sound for over five years now and the Dry Breakers is often a suggested destination, usually because of the chance to see the seals. I try to suggest alternative destinations each time this comes up. Try and limit visits as much as possible, say twice each season, the seals will thank you and the experience will become more memorable. I only saw the Monomoy Island seals but once and the experience of seeing a few swim right under my hull in clear shallow water remains vivid in my minds eye.