Wilderness First Aid

I had the very good fortune to participate in a course to obtain Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification on September 10 and 11 at AMC Knubble Bay Camp (AMC-KB) in Georgetown, ME. A full description can be found in the Events and Commercial Classifieds section posted on August 30, 2010. THE AMC-KB committee (Mary, Gail, Bill, Dave, Pierre and Dave) did a superb job creating an environment that was conducive to our education. The instructor was Aaron Gorban, the AMC Leadership Training and Risk Management Manager. In the hospital where I work we have a saying that we must all "exceed expectations" regarding the patients that we serve. Aaron exceeded my expectations in the WFA course and I believe he would exceed yours as well.

Having spent time on the NSPN website, I have been acquiring all the gear listed in the “What to Bring†section for Level 2, 3, and 4 trips. A consistent item needed for all three levels is the First Aid Kit. Not knowing what to include, I asked Aaron for his recommendations. His suggestions are listed below:

Quantity/Kit Item

3 Cravats

2 rolls 3" cling gauze

4 4x4 pads

1 5x9 trauma dressing

1 medical tape

1 Ace Bandage

15 Band-Aids

1 Sam Splint

1 Cold Compress

3 sheets Moleskin

6 nitrile gloves

6 iodine prep pads

6 alcohol prep pads

1 potable aqua

3 zip lock bags

4 hydrocortisone cream

10 Antihistamine packets

1 CPR Mask

1 Tweezers

1 Trauma Shears

3 copies SOAP note

1 First Aid Book

1 waterproof pen

I realize that the contents of a first aid kit tends to be a personal decision that you build over years of experience and perhaps no two kits are identical. Aaron’s suggestions may only serve to confirm what you already know.

If you are having trouble locating any of these items you might want to consider the following website addresses.

Prestige Medical Fluoride Scissor, Black, 5 1/2 Inch

http://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Medical-Flu...1628&sr=1-4

Rite in the Rain Pen - All Weather Pen

http://www.constructionbook.com/rite-in-ra...land-surveying/

General Medical Supplies at Moore Medical

http://www2.mooremedical.com/

The Field Guide of Wilderness and Rescue Medicine and the All-Weather Soap Notes

http://www.wildmed.com/blog/gear-store/category/publications

May you have safe journeys,

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

possible additions..

Couple individual packages of honey.

Spread a layer of honey on the wound and wrap with clean gauze. Keep wound clean and dry. & you can eat it to help sleep/calm. Great to sweeten tea, soothe sore throat. Never gets old.

Piece of a brown paper bag. Form Scab on cut..or stop nosebleed.

Used to stop bleeding & form scab on a cut. (in place of bandaid). Rip a small piece put on cut..right on the blood to hold. (Great for shaving cuts too).

Or will stop a nose bleed. Gently blow nose...then cut a 3 inch piece of the bag..Place on the upper lip between gums & cheek..(touching gums only..no teeth). We were taught in our EMT class, to put a rolled up piece of gauze under the upper lip between the lip and gums. One or two minutes it will stop. Gauze, brown paper bag...both work..

Needle & Thread. Prethreaded OK..might use Fireline fishing line.

possible additions..

Couple individual packages of honey.

Spread a layer of honey on the wound and wrap with clean gauze. Keep wound clean and dry. & you can eat it to help sleep/calm. Great to sweeten tea, soothe sore throat. Never gets old.

Piece of a brown paper bag. Form Scab on cut..or stop nosebleed.

Used to stop bleeding & form scab on a cut. (in place of bandaid). Rip a small piece put on cut..right on the blood to hold. (Great for shaving cuts too).

Or will stop a nose bleed. Gently blow nose...then cut a 3 inch piece of the bag..Place on the upper lip between gums & cheek..(touching gums only..no teeth). We were taught in our EMT class, to put a rolled up piece of gauze under the upper lip between the lip and gums. One or two minutes it will stop. Gauze, brown paper bag...both work..

Needle & Thread. Prethreaded OK..might use Fireline fishing line.

Honey on a wound??

Foxes, thank you for the insight into using honey. In the past I always used Polysporin. Now with the more frequent occurances of MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) in both wilderness as well as urban medicine, I have switched to using Mupirocin Ointment USP, 2% on all lacerations. You will need to obtain a perscription from your physician to buy it, but it will effectively kill MRSA.

Warren