sleeping out this evening

rick stoehrer

camping on an island....fleece sleeping bag, plastic bivy bag...clothes from my hypo kit...it's exactly one more piece of kit than i usually bring and it packs down pretty small and i'm almost sure i could get away without the fleece bag.

leaves room for spam and scotch - camping essentials.

camping on an island....fleece sleeping bag, plastic bivy bag...clothes from my hypo kit...it's exactly one more piece of kit than i usually bring and it packs down pretty small and i'm almost sure i could get away without the fleece bag.

leaves room for spam and scotch - camping essentials.

Might wish you had the fleece bag or at least liner-sposed to be in the 40's in my neck of the woods (Boondocks). Fleece gloves and hat will help keep the chill away. $0.02

Let us know how it went. Was condensation an issue with the plastic bivy?

I've often thought of bivying out on the ledges by the water, but then retreat to my comfy tent...

plenty warm enough and it was a great night to paddle.

condensation was not an issue so long as you don't mind it but yeah, there was plenty of water that condensed in there overnight....fleece bag / gear took the brunt of it and it didn't bother me at all - but...sleeping is rarely a problem for me.

it's really nice to go from hatch to laid out and ready to sleep in about a minute.

plenty warm enough and it was a great night to paddle.

condensation was not an issue so long as you don't mind it but yeah, there was plenty of water that condensed in there overnight....fleece bag / gear took the brunt of it and it didn't bother me at all - but...sleeping is rarely a problem for me.

it's really nice to go from hatch to laid out and ready to sleep in about a minute.

Where were you? We should talk about a pm paddle to Jewell some fri. night....

Where were you? We should talk about a pm paddle to Jewell some fri. night....

south portland up the inside and then over the top of cliff outta jewell...so there's a paddle we know entirely too well....i'm up for the same thing again some night soon enough but lets pick someplace that's a little less familiar than going from the kitchen to the living room.

beauty of a night to paddle though and a fine weekend.

Just curious, why not go with a Goretex Bivy Sack or something similar to reduce the condensation that builds up in the inner layers rather then an all plastic non breathable final layer? Stephenson (custom lightweight tents) in Guilford NH has been advocating vapor barriers as the first layer, then insulating layers on top of that. Not personally advocating it, just throwing it out there.

http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier

http://tinyurl.com/25a89sw

Although VB will help to reduce condensation tremendously, breathing will still introduce condensation into a confined area of a bivy. Interestingly enough the weight of Stephenson 2R is pretty close to the weight of a bivy. Unless you really need a small footprint shelter (or...commando camping) I would stay away from it.

Just curious, why not go with a Goretex Bivy Sack or something similar to reduce the condensation that builds up in the inner layers rather then an all plastic non breathable final layer? Stephenson (custom lightweight tents) in Guilford NH has been advocating vapor barriers as the first layer, then insulating layers on top of that. Not personally advocating it, just throwing it out there.

http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier

http://tinyurl.com/25a89sw

Marvellous to know that there is a firm out there (and very local) who will custom-manufacture your tent for you; but see the price of their triple-warm sleeping bag? At $580, it will not be on my Christmas shopping list! :o

Rick and Paul: care to make that some <Saturday> night?

Marvellous to know that there is a firm out there (and very local) who will custom-manufacture your tent for you; but see the price of their triple-warm sleeping bag? At $580, it will not be on my Christmas shopping list! :o

Rick and Paul: care to make that some <Saturday> night?

fine by me pally - it'd be great to see you!

if you can get off island, i'll drive.

gimme a ring when you can and we'll sort it out...for that matter, is there interest in making it a trip? we could run it back upta jewell one more time as a kinda class (always nice to have a class on water you know really, really well - especially at night...just decreases the margins, right?) on night nav/camping...drinking scotch.

and while the paddling/camping is important....remember, island single malts only...everything else is craaaappp (best scots brogue)

That is a lot o' cash, but being a triple layer system it's your summer bag, spring and fall bag, and your dead of winter it's 30 below and I'm toasty warm bag. It also comes with a Down Air Mattress, which is around $150 from other manufacturers. Considering the cost of three down bags and a DAM that price, while being painful to your wallet, isn't really that high.

I went to their house/manufacturing plant many years ago. Be warned that supposedly they are "naturalists" so going in the winter when it was cold was apparently a good idea!

The tents are amazing, I just wish they had vestibules.

:-)

I also went to their house once (to pick up a tent!). I don't think the worry is warranted and I think that nowadays the business is run by his son. I do not have their sleeping bag but I can vouch for their tents. I have 2, 3 and 5 series and they have been very good. The 2 series is 18 years old and still going strong. I used it at this years RWS in Rhode Island.

rb

That is a lot o' cash, but being a triple layer system it's your summer bag, spring and fall bag, and your dead of winter it's 30 below and I'm toasty warm bag. It also comes with a Down Air Mattress, which is around $150 from other manufacturers. Considering the cost of three down bags and a DAM that price, while being painful to your wallet, isn't really that high.

I went to their house/manufacturing plant many years ago. Be warned that supposedly they are "naturalists" so going in the winter when it was cold was apparently a good idea!

The tents are amazing, I just wish they had vestibules.

fine by me pally - it'd be great to see you!

if you can get off island, i'll drive.

gimme a ring when you can and we'll sort it out...for that matter, is there interest in making it a trip? we could run it back upta jewell one more time as a kinda class (always nice to have a class on water you know really, really well - especially at night...just decreases the margins, right?) on night nav/camping...drinking scotch.

and while the paddling/camping is important....remember, island single malts only...everything else is craaaappp (best scots brogue)

There is interest, Just can't do this weekend.

Been thinking about other islands but they are either easy to get to or too far to drive....

What night/ days work for you sir Pintail