Surfin' at Jennes 9/17

rossjb1

Hey Ross,

Hoping to join you Friday. I'm going to have to dust off my surf skills as they haven't been used in a while, but that'll just make it more fun.

Blaine

Where is that beach? Hey you the Ross I met last night? Now I know who Papa yurtman is (?)

Yes that was me. Jenness beach is a great spot for surfing just have to be respectful of the "real" surfers and bring some change for the parking meters. Its up 1A NH in Rye. I'll be out there rain or shine.

Ross

Yes that was me. Jenness beach is a great spot for surfing just have to be respectful of the "real" surfers and bring some change for the parking meters. Its up 1A NH in Rye. I'll be out there rain or shine.

Ross

Hey Ross,

I passed by Jenness yesterday morn, noting only 2 ft breakers. However, our Isle of Shoals paddle's "conditions" grew to include consistent 6' rollers culmination as we landed scattered across a 3.3 mi swath from Rye Harbor to Pebble Cove by late afternoon. Hope to catch you next time, as Jenness has now caught my eye as a safer way to ride the big stuff.

Ern

????

Ed Lawson

I think Ern can explain this. My own experience on this day was that as the water and wind got rougher on the way back from IOS we were all on track for a landing at the Rye marina which is where we put in. As the seas became taller which were to our beam or at best quartering, one in our pod suggested traveling downwind, perhaps to gain from the following sea and thereby make landfall sooner or safer even if this meant missing our return point by a few miles. I suggested staying on our current track which at least gave us a preview of what was coming at us. However one or more in our group of seven must have heard the suggestion to go down wind as a prescription and four paddled off in that direction. While this wasn't the roughest conditions I've experienced as a paddler, coping with it for 6.5 NM was trying at times. If fatigue or exhaustion or even nerves set in one could lose focus and miss a brace and capsize. I felt that with the big stuff on my stern that may have been a more likely scenario. As it was all seven came back safe and sound if not to the same place.

Level 3 or Level 4? ;)

The open water without shelter part certainly was level 4. Swells of up to 6' and breakers were as well. Wind wasn't 25K, maybe 15+, pace overall was only 3K for my pod but I daresay the other pod might have averaged 4K. Current was strong but only in selected areas and on average was not a serious challenge. Bracing and rescue skills demostrated were all strong so I would say that based upon the NOAA forecast for that day which was exceeded by the afternoon winds and wave heights, it was a Level 4.

BUT did anyone catch some surf today?

Absolutely! Beautiful evening of surfing with Emilie and Tyson! Moon watching over head, sunset obscured by the dark western looming clouds. Did my first endo (not as scary as they look)! Caught some Really nice waves. :D

Ross