Previous Hurricanes and thought for the day!

Suz

Memories of a previous hurricane, Fabian in 2004 come back to me today as I prepare to go out and surf, not in my long boat but in a surf kayak. Ah those lovely green whalebacks!

What a day that was and what many lessons we learned. One of the biggest lessons I learned is how much we endanger those we care about when paddling in conditions that are more than we are prepared for.

For the archived trip report, click here:

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry17712

My plan from the start of the day had been to just sit outside of the surf zone and just enjoy the lovely swell and watch Rick and Paul in the surf. Not to take part – didn’t have a roll at all and bracing was a bit suspect I believe. In retrospect, I see how hard it would have been for Rick and Paul to tell me to sit it out on the beach. I see now it is better to know your own limits and to make your own decisions of competence. Although it always comes back to the beginner not knowing what they don’t know…

Upon launching, we innocently looked out at the mouth of the river and were unprepared for what would happen when the tide changed and the outgoing tide began to meet the incoming swell that was an inevitable part of the day. We were just happy that I made it out w/o incident. So, just because you CAN make it out, doesn’t mean that you should!

Think twice and be careful out there!

"...what's this we sh*t" still makes me laugh pretty hard.

Just pulled out my sheep fleece with Tonto embroidered on it.......That was a fun day. I will never forget finding humor out there thinking about our situation, or rather Suz's situation.

I love big water...

We have learned a lot over the years no doubt. Another good trip report would be Nov. 99 by Keith A. where I am victim one or something and I swam in 42 deg. water off Whaleback in a farmer john. They were worried about me but I felt ok.......

Suz's I miss your cooking and could use some meal tips for camping....

Headed to Lubec and Grand Manan for a week with six others. Should be fun...

Have to bring my sheep fleece...

Trip report in a few weeks..

thanks for the memories,

Paul

Just pulled out my sheep fleece with Tonto embroidered on it.......That was a fun day. I will never forget finding humor out there thinking about our situation, or rather Suz's situation.

I love big water...

We have learned a lot over the years no doubt. Another good trip report would be Nov. 99 by Keith A. where I am victim one or something and I swam in 42 deg. water off Whaleback in a farmer john. They were worried about me but I felt ok.......

Suz's I miss your cooking and could use some meal tips for camping....

Headed to Lubec and Grand Manan for a week with six others. Should be fun...

Have to bring my sheep fleece...

Trip report in a few weeks..

thanks for the memories,

Paul

Only made it as far as Petit Manan and Great Waas this summer but maybe next I will make it to Grand Manan although my preference would be to find the time for a Newfoundland trip... Maybe next summer.

Enjoy your trip!

Suz