A Beginner's Introduction

Hello, my name is Warren Parlee and I am new to sea kayaking and a new member to NSPN. Having joined on 8/5/10, I thought it was time for my first posting.

To the advanced skill members I would like to share three requests.

1. Please continue to offer the winter pool sessions in 2011, I would very much like to participate.

2. Please also continue the practice sessions at Seabrook Harbor. I will be the one with kayak in hand on day one.

3. Also, please continue the numerous postings which I so enjoy reading. The posting that spoke to me the most as a beginner is listed below:

“If it wasn't for the club (NSPN) and my ability to participate in paddling opportunities for my first year of paddling along with the different clinics such as Navigation, Knot Tying, Skill Sessions and such, I wouldn't have been able to progress in kayaking as I have done. It might be silly but I want others to have that same opportunity.†Posted on 5/8/08 at 9:06AM by Suz

And yes Suz, I would enjoy a Dry Suit 101 or 202 session this year.

To the beginner and novice skill members, you have a new colleague who has a passion for sea kayaking. Since the “journey is the joy†I need to share an experience from having spent yesterday on the water at Casco Bay. I completed a Kayak Essentials Level 1 course which included my first wet exit, solo rescue and assisted rescue, all critical rites of passage for any sea kayaker. Although I know I will celebrate, at some point in my future, when I finish a full course of rock gardening and kayak surf instruction. Perhaps no day will be as memorable as the day I completed my first solo rescue.

Warren Parlee

Welcome Warren-those were nicely put sentiments that I'm sure most of us felt at one point or another as we all traverse the never ending learning curve that exists for the serious seakayaker. For me its all about the smiles generated. Stay wet and keep smiling!

Suz, I am glad my posting gave you a reason to smile. I am serious about learning how to care for my Kokatat GMER dry suit (radish) with Ibex wool layers for comfort. I purchased the gear with the hope my Romany would arrive in September and allow me several weeks to practice with my dry suit. I honestly do not have a clue as to how best to maintain the suit and would value a knowledge transfer session if you happen to offer one.

Gene, I really enjoyed reading the summary of your planned trip around Gerrish/Cutts Island. I am hoping you will offer a similar trip in 2011. I will make every effort to progress my training to be at a level 3 by next summer. Also, Lisa’s GPS map was awesome and made me want to purchase a Garmin Oregon 550t so I could geotag the pictures. Perhaps some day! Mainwhile, I will focus on building my basic skills.

Warren, welcome to NSPN. The beauty of sea kayaking is that as you continue your progression you'll find many reasons to celebrate. Your first flat-water roll, first camping trip with your kayak, first wave you catch in surf, first tide race, first combat roll, first moonlight paddle, first day you survive wind and waves, all will likely inspire that same feeling of joy you experienced with your first self-rescue. Happy paddling!

Warren, welcome to NSPN. The beauty of sea kayaking is that as you continue your progression you'll find many reasons to celebrate. Your first flat-water roll, first camping trip with your kayak, first wave you catch in surf, first tide race, first combat roll, first moonlight paddle, first day you survive wind and waves, all will likely inspire that same feeling of joy you experienced with your first self-rescue. Happy paddling!

Lorrie, frequently a journey needs to establish major milestones in order to measure progress and celebrate success. You have helped me understand the milestones ahead that I will need to achieve. Thank you!

Warren