Maelstrom Kayaks

Anyone have experience with the canadian kayaks Maelstrom Vaag 174? Word is they rival british style boats. I'm casually interested in checking one out. THey sell them at Lincoln Canoe and Kayay in Freeport. Wondering how they handle on the water. I'm an experienced paddler looking for a good expedition boat w. performance features.

Anyone have experience with the canadian kayaks Maelstrom Vaag 174? Word is they rival british style boats. I'm casually interested in checking one out. THey sell them at Lincoln Canoe and Kayay in Freeport. Wondering how they handle on the water. I'm an experienced paddler looking for a good expedition boat w. performance features.

Check out this thread (last two entries). http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry41333

The Vaag is not a good expedition kayak but is a play boat similar to the Romany Surf. It handles wind and waves with ease. No need to deploy the skeg. It is moderately fast but the foam seat needs much improvement.

They recently changed the foam back support to an adjustable back band. I personally liked the foam block as it was a great feature for re-entry and offered this paddler good lower back support.

The glass finish and quality has improved since they began production but the colored hulls seem to scratch very easily. If you purchase this boat, expect to customize the cockpit fit for your body type. That is not really a bad thing but I would not buy a boat without putting some hours on it. Demo one for a half day either in Freeport or CRC&K.

This is only my opinion.

The Vaag is not a good expedition kayak but is a play boat similar to the Romany Surf. It handles wind and waves with ease. No need to deploy the skeg. It is moderately fast but the foam seat needs much improvement.

They recently changed the foam back support to an adjustable back band. I personally liked the foam block as it was a great feature for re-entry and offered this paddler good lower back support.

Mary,

See my comments on the thread Gene listed. I want to add that the Vaag is NOT of sufficient volume for true multi-day expedition, and indeed seemed to lose some stability when I half-filled the cockpit on a surf launch!

However, it IS very efficient, so is a fine all-day tourer. If I were to have only ONE kayak that had to double as a long-distance camper I'd probably more consider the Cetus though. But since I already have a less unruly cruiser (Force Cat 5), the Vaag becomes its perfect playful, yet still really quick sister.

Doug,

Maelstrom only shipped 'yaks with backbands once, per CRCK's provocation, and now ship with that foam block again. Nonetheless I'm lobbying hard with their designer to redo the entire seat system. My P&H backband arrived as I flew, so we'll see how the Cetus' seat system works in September.

Cheers.

Ern

NOTICE!

Because I can't somehow start a new thread from this Canadian computer, I want to notify us at nspn that Maelstrom's designer, Charles-Alexandre Desjardins, and about 15 fellow Canucks are descending upon Popham et environs Sept 3-5 for surfing, and have personally invited nspn to join in. From what I can tell this is NOT a commercial event.

They hope to repeat at Popham in October too, at which time I hope to be able to attend.

Jason, can you move this to "TRIPS"?

Thanks.

Ern