Kayak decals non-adherence problem

Katherine

Hi all,

Time for the silly question of the day... So, I purchased some really cool kayka decals and set about applying them this AM. The ones for the paddle went on without issue. The two I selected for my boat won't stick. I have a plastic Valley Avocet. I methodically followed the prep instructions to a the letter. Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

Hi all,

Time for the silly question of the day... So, I purchased some really cool kayka decals and set about applying them this AM. The ones for the paddle went on without issue. The two I selected for my boat won't stick. I have a plastic Valley Avocet. I methodically followed the prep instructions to a the letter. Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

The answer is pretty simple; nothing much sticks to polyethylene. Unless your decals have a very aggressive adhesive - which they apparently don't - they're not going to stick.

Love silly questions and cool kayak decals. Might I ask where you found the latter. I have a carbon/kevlar avocet and have every hope that they would stick to that!

prudence

http://www.etsy.com/shop/nkanner

Hi, above is the link to her etsy shop, you can also view the decals on kayakdecal.com They are very pretty!

The answer is pretty simple; nothing much sticks to polyethylene. Unless your decals have a very aggressive adhesive - which they apparently don't - they're not going to stick.

Thanks, Brian. I wish the seller had stated that bit of wisdom...

Looking at her site, she does show decals being applied to plastic boats, so perhaps there is another issue. Have you ever used a silicone-based wax or protectant on your boat? If so, silicone residue from that may be the culprit. It can be removed with some effort and the right solvent, but decals that are contaminated are not likely to work.

You can also try contacting the decal seller and explaining the problem you're having. Perhaps she's run into it before.

Looking at her site, she does show decals being applied to plastic boats, so perhaps there is another issue. Have you ever used a silicone-based wax or protectant on your boat? If so, silicone residue from that may be the culprit. It can be removed with some effort and the right solvent, but decals that are contaminated are not likely to work.

You can also try contacting the decal seller and explaining the problem you're having. Perhaps she's run into it before.

The seller has offered to come down and take a look and bring more decals, alcohol (rubbing) and Windex. Um, "protectant" as in 303?? Yup, once a month...

The seller has offered to come down and take a look and bring more decals, alcohol (rubbing) and Windex. Um, "protectant" as in 303?? Yup, once a month...

That's probably the issue. Polyethylene is somewhat porous and will absorb whatever you put on it (that's why it's used for ski bases, it absorbs wax well). Removing the 303 completely could be a challenge.

. Removing the 303 completely could be a challenge.

Use lacquer thinner, or in a pinch, nail polish remover (acetone), or even rubbing alcohol.

PE's are notoriously greasy until they dry with age, at which time they craze and crack.

There are some glues that will work, however I can't remember which, as it's been a long time since I used to memorize plastic inertness and solvency charts. NALGENE used to print a good reference....

. Removing the 303 completely could be a challenge.

Use lacquer thinner, or in a pinch, nail polish remover (acetone), or even rubbing alcohol.

PE's are notoriously greasy until they dry with age, at which time they craze and crack.

There are some glues that will work, however I can't remember which, as it's been a long time since I used to memorize plastic inertness and solvency charts. NALGENE used to print a good reference....

Thanks everyone, I think I'll pass on pretty decals for my kayak and stick to decorating my paddle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Great to see our kayak decals mentioned on the board, but not so great to see it as they won't stick to polyethylene :o

I, and my husband, are the creators of the Kayak Decals (www.KayakDecal.com) and would like to mention that the decals DO adhere to "plastic" polyethylene kayaks.

In the case of the Valley boat, the surface is textured and rough. The other known issue, as stated on our website, is with Sea Kayak brand kayaks- they too have a textured/rough surface that the decals do not adhere to. I will be adding Valley to this statement as well.

We have been making and adhering our decorative decals on kayaks since 2004- along with hundreds of happy customers.

Thanks and sorry they don't stick to textured surfaces,

nancy

this should read Ocean Kayaks brand kayaks- not Sea Kayak brand...

The other known issue, as stated on our website, is with Sea Kayak brand kayaks- they too have a textured/rough surface that the decals do not adhere to. I will be adding Valley to this statement as well.

Hello,

Great to see our kayak decals mentioned on the board, but not so great to see it as they won't stick to polyethylene :o

I, and my husband, are the creators of the Kayak Decals (www.KayakDecal.com) and would like to mention that the decals DO adhere to "plastic" polyethylene kayaks.

In the case of the Valley boat, the surface is textured and rough. The other known issue, as stated on our website, is with Sea Kayak brand kayaks- they too have a textured/rough surface that the decals do not adhere to. I will be adding Valley to this statement as well.

We have been making and adhering our decorative decals on kayaks since 2004- along with hundreds of happy customers.

Thanks and sorry they don't stick to textured surfaces,

nancy

Hi,

I tried to post a reply last night but for some reason that didn't adhere either!

I wanted to let folks know that Nancy provided great customer service through this process. She was very supportive and even traveled to my home Saturday morning to see if she could solve the problem. Nancy refunded my money that same day. The decals that I do have on my paddles are of high quality and lovely detail. She was even able to coax a small turtle on to the rim of my hatches. I highly recommend her decals for your kayak, paddle or anything else you want to decorate!