I'm looking for CRACKED VCP hatch covers

Brian Nystrom

Yeah, you read that right and no, I haven't gone off the deep end. ;)

I'm working on a method for repairing VCP hatch covers and I need damaged examples for testing, but only have a couple of my own. Specifically, I'm looking for covers where the flat center section has cracked, split or completely punched out, but the vertical section that fits on the rim is still intact (this seems to be the most common failure mode). If you have any kicking around, I'll be happy to get them out of your "I know it's junk but I can't bear to throw it away" pile. If I come up with a viable repair method, I'll return them to you repaired so you can test them and provide feedback. Worst case, I'll have helped you do a bit of house cleaning.

I currently have a method that looks promising, but I'm in the process of testing materials and adhesives. The ultimate goal is to be able to repair them for around half the cost of replacing them.

Surely there must be some other "packrats" like me out there that keep this stuff. :blush:

Yes, despite the liberal and regular sprayings with 303, I <do> have a couple of hatch covers that are "frot": what do you want me to do with them, then, Nystrom-san? Have you any plans to come down this-a-ways? :D

I'm going to take the liberty of giving you one of Peter B's from his Nordkapp which presently resides in my shop. The day hatch cover pretty much disintegrated as you described.

Send me a mailing address Brian and I'll get it to you.

Jon

I'm going to take the liberty of giving you one of Peter B's from his Nordkapp which presently resides in my shop. The day hatch cover pretty much disintegrated as you described.

Send me a mailing address Brian and I'll get it to you.

Jon

Thanks Jon. My address is:

Brian Nystrom

337 Broad Street

Nashua, NH 03063

If anyone else would like to send me a "gift", they will be gladly accepted.