Navigation- winter workshops

Suz

One of my goals this winter is to improve my navigation skills. To that end, I would like to find some like minded people to work with after the holidays on Tuesday nights. We can meet at my condo in Middleton. If you have interest, let me know via a post here or an e-mail: suzanne dot pritchett at comcast dot net.

Suzanne

>One of my goals this winter is to improve my navigation

>skills. To that end, I would like to find some like minded

>people to work with after the holidays on Tuesday nights.

>We can meet at my condo in Middleton. If you have interest,

>let me know via a post here or an e-mail: suzanne dot

>pritchett at comcast dot net.

>

>Suzanne

Suzanne.

I am interested.

Al

Suz,

I am interested--but can only do it for 3 Tuesdays in January--I teach on Tuesday nights--is that okay or do you want people who can give you more time commitment? I am particularly interested in a better understanding of tides and currents as part of the navigation discussions--les

A kayak is just another boat on the water. The principles of navigation and piloting are the same for all vessels.

For navigation purposes, overall speed on the water is the only difference between a kayak and larger vessels. Because a kayak has a cruising speed of only about 3-5 nautical mph, the effects of current and wind become much more significant.

The U.S. Power Squadron and U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary offer very comprehensive piloting and navigation courses during the winter months.

They will teach you everything you should know about reading charts, piloting and navigation. And, (very important) you will have a greater understanding of the responsibilities assumed by the captain of a larger vessel.

Knowing why, when and what the captain of a larger vessel is about to do will enable you to become a much safer paddler.

IMHO, either of the above mentioned programs should be a prerequisite for kayak specific courses.

Once you master the basics, the very small boat (kayak) navigation nuances will be a breeze to understand and apply.

Richard N

Living to learn.

Romany, White with Blue trim

A good place to get some information on this subject is http://atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/Expert...igation-1.shtml. This is written for kayakers.

We might be able to get someone from the Coast Guard Auxillary or Power Squadron that teaches this to come.

I believe there course is about 9 weeks, two hours a night per week. I am going by memory.There course included a lot of practice in class. So you had an opportunity to get a skill explained and then you practied in class implemeting it yourself. If you had trouble the instructor was there to help. All this would have to be confirmed.

The Cost Guard Auxillary Page for classes is http://home.comcast.net/~division4-1nr/pe.htm

They have a Basic Navigation Course, Advanced Navigation Course and a GPS Navigation Course.

Just a thought.

Walter

Impex Serenity

Sounds like there is plenty of interest. Shortly, I will be e-mailing the people that have expressed interest. In the meantime, here is a list of navigation essentials:

-hand held compass ( I like the little Suunto A30, that has a small magnifying glass on it-[http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/suunto-a30l.htm])

-parallel rules

-dividers

-chart - will tell you the # in the e-mail

It would be sufficient if half of us had these things, except the compass - everyone should have a hand held compass.

Gather your tools and expect an e-mail shortly.

Recommendations: Both the Power Squadron class and Jed's class would be worthwhile nav courses for people to take. Tuesday nights happen to fit my schedule and the location (my place) can't be beat (for me!).

Suzanne

dear suzanne and folks considering this subject: go buy expensive parallel rules if you like; but they are utterly unnecessary. ruler and set-square are all you need (think about it). i never bought one in my life -- and i used to earn my living with a map (or "chart") in my lap or in my hand. ruler and set-square...

in fact, suze: there would be much to be said for practising this subject with only what you can use on the deck of a kayak -- ie, protractor and pencil! it should be quite possible. a kayak is such a limiting environment (and makes such a poor desk!) that very accurate navigation is going to be really tough; but of course you're right (i can hear you already): you have to learn the theory first.

ruler and set-square! ruler and set-square! (as alice said to the white rabbit...or she might have done, when lewis carroll wasn't listening)

I disagree most respectfully with Sir Godfrey...most folks have a difficult enough time orienting and reading a map without trying to manipulate hardware. Except in the hands of true afficianados, the additional accuracy provided by rulers, strings, squares, or other hardware tools is not (my opinion here) brought out in the results.

Most paddlers are going to sight their bearings to a 5 degree accuracy, and not much better. (Everybody is going to argue with me here....bring it on!) Most navigation (we're not talking about beyond-horizon open crossings here) that we do is not hurt by this level of accuracy.

Instead, I've seen experienced paddlers (including myself) pick the wrong landmarks, account for magnetic declination backwards, and even calculate a bearing to a gnat's rear and then take off at 180 degrees from the intended bearing.

Far better to get really comfortable with the basic skills...to get used to looking at the view and at the map and keeping a one-to-one correlation going in your mind...to accounting for declination automatically...to drawing a few quick strokes (with ruler!) on the chart, with bearings, at home the night before, so when you come back from lunch in the fog you already have a bearing ready for you...

Taking courses to familiarize yourself with these skills is a good thing. Taking the Coast Guard navigation classes to understand these skills, as has been pointed out, to understand what the bigger boats are doing is also a good thing.

Practicing the skills is necessary, classwork or not. When you are next out on a trip, don't be content to let the leader drag you along...prepare a chart ahead of time, familiarize yourself with the course, compare notes with the leader while paddling, keep yourself oriented on the chart, try to predict what is coming up by watching the chart. If you don't do this regularly, you can't expect to have the nav skills on tap when you need them -- and if you aren't already familiar and comfortable with the basic skills, extra drafting hardware on your deck will not help you and is likely to only fluster and confuse you more.

While a simple, inexpensive tool like a Nav-Aid is really useful for navigation, I have to admit (sheepishly) to never having done so on the deck of my boat. I also have a GPS, but I've never gotten comfortable with using it (my fault). A typical on-water navigation scenario goes something like this:

"OK, here's where we are and there's where we want to go. According to the chart, it looks like a a heading of around 260 degrees."

Either that, or if visibility permits, it's point the bow at the intended shoreline and take a quick reading off the bobbing deck compass. Often, this is discussed with other members of the group and just as often, we find disagreements of 10 degrees or more. Ultimately, we paddle off and adjust our course as we go.

I'm certainly not trying to justify such sloppy practices, but they seem to be par for the course more often than not, mainly due to the inconvenience of using more precise methods in a kayak. Understanding the fundamentals is important, but easy, fast methods that can be used in a pitching kayak have more practical applications.

I guess that begs the question, what are Suz's classes going to concentrate on?

Well, I guess we have decided that there are tons of people interested in working on navigation this winter! So sure that there will be something for everyone and no excuses for being "navigationally challenged"!

As to my intentions... plan is to start with the basics and keep on going. Goal is to be able to eventually plan a multi-day trip, account for current, planning for tides... be able to adjust a course on water because I will have done it tons of times on land...

Figure that people can drop out of the sessions when they have reached a point that they are comfortable with.

I see my study group as an informal way of gaining more navigational experience.

Suzanne

Having done all of the big boat courses ( hold a CG license) I applaud the interest in getting a yak based course going. What you learn in the big boat courses is the same as you will for the 'yak. You will just use different tools and perhaps work to a higher degree of precision and in higher speeds.

For practical on the deck/ in the field work:

The hand held compass can be used as a protractor to get course and bearing angles. You do have to add or subtract variation, something that is built in using a Nav Aid.

Instead of parallels, make up a zip lock bag with paralles lines space a nautical mile apart. You can lay that over your chart and get data really fast.

Instead of parallels, a pair of 45 degree triangles are portable, can work to the same high degree of precision and be taken into the field.

Instead of dividers, the above zip lock works, also a piece of paper with tic marks on it.

Smart string: a nav aid has distances marked on the string coming out from center. Mark those distances as well on the string that you use to tie the nav aid onto the boat. Also on the lanyard for your handheld compass.

Smart hands and fingers. Find out how long in nav terms your knuckle joints are, distance between your index and little finger when held parallel, your hand span.

Useful books that I recommend in courses I teach are Leonard Eyges one on coastal navigation. Also Ray Killan has a nice Kayak Navigation Primer available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just e-mailed all who had either posted they were interested or e-mailed me directly. If you were interested and DIDN'T receive an e-mail from me, let me know ASAP and I will send you the details. This will take place in the function room of my condo with room for plenty of people. We will be breaking into small groups to work.

Dates: January 11,18,25

Suzanne

suzanne dot pritchett at comcast dot net

A few suggestions:

1. The gold standard for training is Chart No.: 1210 TR.

Just about every North American navigation course uses the 1210 TR because it keeps everyone on the same page and It has almost all of the notes, chart symbols and features used on all other charts. This special chart is designed for training only (not for navigation). And, the reverse side of the chart is loaded with useful information. Cost is only about $3.00 - $4.00.

2. A must have!!!!!

Chart #1: not a chart, but a booklet that lists and defines all of the symbols used on U. S.-manufactured charts. 

3. As Christopher suggested...forget the parallel rulers!

The USPS has a very handy, one piece, plastic ruler that replaces parallel rulers and a protractor (one tool does the work of two). I believe the rulers are only available through the USPS. For kayaking, the handiest tool I've found is definitely a Nav-Aid.

4. Dividers: For chart work, you do NOT use the type used by a draftsman with sharp points and a screw type adjustment. Invest in a good pair of Weems & Plath, 7" , straight pattern dividers made of brass and stainless steel. Very solid, easy to use with gloves and will hold a setting. The steel plated models with sharp points rust and do not maintain a positive setting. Plus, the sharp points will make a mess out of wet charts, poke holes in your waterproof chart protector and are not the sort of dangerous tool to be used on the deck of a kayak. Don't try to save a few dollars on a look alike. Although the cost may be $20.00 to $30.00, they are worth every penny!

Also, the USPS has a new self study program called "USPS®'sBoat Smart Course" that may be worth investigating.

Tip for today.........learn to use the log scale found on most charts.

It 's the fastest and handiest waterproof calculator known to man!

Let me know if you need more information.

Richard N

Living to learn.

Romany, White with Blue trim

In response to Richard's suggestions:

1 - "The gold standard for training is Chart No.: 1210 TR" - Checking with Ken from the Map Shack who believes this chart may have been taken out of print 8 yrs ago. He is checking to see if it is available.

2 - A must have!!!!!

Chart #1: not a chart, but a booklet that lists and defines all of the symbols used on U. S.-manufactured charts.

Not sure if it is a must have, most of the symbols that are used are pretty self explanatory and Chart 1 is available on line.

3 - As Christopher suggested...forget the parallel rulers!

The USPS has a very handy, one piece, plastic ruler that replaces parallel rulers and a protractor (one tool does the work of two). I believe the rulers are only available through the USPS. For kayaking, the handiest tool I've found is definitely a Nav-Aid.

Get what you want...I also have a nav-aid but for PLANNING at home, you can't beat parallel rulers and the cost is about $15.

4- Dividers - yes, in agreement here - don't get the draftsman type dividers - too sharp. EITHER way, dividers are generally used OFF the water, when planning and not from the seat of your kayak.

If anyone is looking to purchase either dividers or parallel rulers, let me know and I can arrange for a purchase through Map Shack.

Weems & Path 7" dividers - $12.95

Parallel Rulers - 12" $15, 15"-$18

In addition, I will have available to purchase 8 Small Craft Nav Aids from New England Small Craft at $8.00 each.

Suzanne

folks -

there's the theory and then the practice of this or any art. and like most things, learn with small, easier pieces first and once that's down pat, then run off headlong into "alternative" methods. you gotta play chopsticks before you play chopin.

so the theory is the nice room, with a nice big flat table and then the rulers, the dividers and such. learn this way. practice this way. it's nice to have a warm room with a nice big flat table to learn and practice on so why not? it's the way i "learned" and am still learning and it's the way the coastie's teach it, and what the hell, they've been doing this a while.

once that's pretty much down, why not then progress to the nav aid or just a hand compass and plot your course as if you were on a beach or the chart were on your deck?

and for the most, this is proof in the pudding kinda stuff - it's all nice in a room no matter how you got it, but it's what you do on the water that counts. as a gentleman (and i use that term loosely) once said "the key to not getting lost is always know where you are"

see you there...i'd bring whiskey but what are the odds i'd run into timid virgins at anything we put together?