Current Designs Willow

ssmith

Welcome!

See: http://canoekayak.com/kayak/seakayakreview2008/

Apparently a trackier 'yak with fine secondary but difficulty edging, unlike similar smaller faves like the Force3. So lightweight, eh?

I'm sure some of the ladies will chime in. And the Eliza, as well the albeit-heavier Cetus LV, Capella 161, etc. may be worth test-paddling.

Different people will want different manners in their kayaks. Looking at the picture of it on the CD web site, suggests to me that it has very little rocker (lots of keel in the water at the ends of the boat) which will make it resist turning. It also looks like its rear deck is a bit high which will make layback rolls (the easiest type for many people) more difficult. The review that Ernie posted a link for seems to confirm this.

If you want a kayak that goes straight and you don't plan to be in conditions that require a roll, it could be a great boat. I look for boats to be more playful and would not find it to be a good match.

Thanks so much. "Resists turning" -- that is just what I do not want. Sherry.

Welcome!

See: http://canoekayak.com/kayak/seakayakreview2008/

Apparently a trackier 'yak with fine secondary but difficulty edging, unlike similar smaller faves like the Force3. So lightweight, eh?

I'm sure some of the ladies will chime in. And the Eliza, as well the albeit-heavier Cetus LV, Capella 161, etc. may be worth test-paddling.

Sherry,

There will be no end of advice available regarding boats on this forum but the best thing you can do is to get out there and paddle as many as you can. It's clear that no one here has actually paddled the boat you're considering and there is no substitute for your own personal experience with any given boat.

The major boat manufacturers have finally realized the need and demand for appropriately-sized boats for the the "smaller paddlers" and you now have several great designs to choose from. These latest models have been designed from the get-go to be lower displacement hulls and not just modified versions of the original full-sized boats.

Have fun, take your time and know that there will always be another boat that seems to suit your needs a little better than the one you currently own...

Jon

I really appreciate all your views. I am also known as "whats her name" and "shortie" from the Gloucester trip where Ernie suggested I consider a lower volume boat. (I did follow Ernie's advice and bought a shorter paddle and am very happy with it.) The review on the Eliza sounds great - pushing the boat easily and easy edging and turning are just what I want but the new stats on the new model is 47 lb. which is too much for me. I really do not want to go over 40 lb. I totally agree that I would not buy a boat from a review and would definitely want to try a boat out before I bought it. But I would greatly appreciate any ideas for suggested boats to try. I managed for 4 days with my 17 foot 2 inch Lincoln Isle au Haute (36 pounds, no skeg, no rudder) in some pretty big waves, currant and wind this weekend in Boston Harbor (some of the time with a fully loaded boat with camping equipment - Earnie was right, with the weight it handled fine). We were on a stroke and rescue clinic with the AMC. At times it was a struggle to keep up with very strong paddlers and to turn the boat. So the review of the Eliza that it is easy to push, edge and turn sounds delightful. the Eliza is only 15 feet and 3 inches however, is that big enough for open water big waves, current, wind? Thanks!!! Sherry.

The Eliza is only 15 feet and 3 inches however, is that big enough for open water big waves, current, wind?

I paddled a 14' kayak in conditions like those for 4 years. The only one of these issues that is much of a concern for short boats in current because that can be about speed. 15+ft should be fine.

Get a GPS and go paddle it. If you can sustain 3kts and are happy with the kayak, you're fine. If you can sustain 4kts, you're golden. (my current kayak starts getting difficult near 4kts)

So the review of the Eliza that it is easy to push, edge and turn sounds delightful. the Eliza is only 15 feet and 3 inches however, is that big enough for open water big waves, current, wind? Thanks!!! Sherry.

Since I do not know your size, your personality, your paddling interests, preferences, and skills; it would be only a display of ignorance for me to suggest boats that would meet your needs. I cannot agree strongly enough with those who have said you need to paddle as many boats as you can and paddle them for as long as you can. That is the only way you will discover what boats you like and which are suitable to you. Frankly, I would basically ignore reviews and be very, very skeptical of any comments by paddlers who are not your size, who do not have not adequate seat time to actually know the boats they talk about, and who do not have your interests and skills. Consider the possibility that your skills and interests may change over time and as a result what you prefer in a boat will likely change. View boat selection as a journey and not the search for the "perfect boat". As on any journey of value, take the time to learn all you can along the way and do not rush off to the next place before you have come to know where you are.

My biased view is there is nothing wrong with 13 to 15 foot kayaks in terms of speed or seaworthiness even for "normal" size paddlers.

It is not the length of the boat, but the length of the waterline and the shape of the waterplane that helps determine whether a boat is "fast" and most often it is the ease with which a boat can be paddled around 4Kts that makes people think a boat is "fast" not whether it is actually "fast" as in it can be paddled at a high speed boat by a skilled paddler. Boats with long waterlines can actually be harder to paddle at lower speeds than many shorter boats and thus they make it more difficult rather than easier for a small paddler to maintain the usual/modest pace for most club/weekend warrior paddles.

You may want to look at Brian Shulz's article about kayak selection and a description of his F1 for another view of kayak selection. His website is http://www.capefalconkayak.com/ Brian's 13 ' F1 is also known for being seaworthy and he paddles in big water to say the least. One was paddled around the west coast of Vancouver Island which is not a bad testament for a 25# SOF boat.

A radical thought, Just keep paddling the boat you have (its a fine boat basically) and paddle others whenever/wherever possible. By doing so you may well develop the understanding of what would be a good boat for you that nobody else could ever provide. Just remember that may well change over time since it is a journey,

Ed Lawson

A radical thought, Just keep paddling the boat you have (its a fine boat basically) and paddle others whenever/wherever possible. By doing so you may well develop the understanding of what would be a good boat for you that nobody else could ever provide. Just remember that may well change over time since it is a journey,

Ed Lawson

Excellent!

...and put some serious thought into buying used boats. It makes the journey cheaper.

I used my first kayak for about 4 years. I finally replaced it when I had borrowed and tried a number of boats and found one that I really didn't want to return to its owner. My journey continues as I contemplate which boat should be its companion and which boat will someday be its replacement.