FG boat repair

BillyD

Hey there,

Newbie me has just discovered I have worn heel divots in my Romany hull (first FG boat- second season)

Can some of you "old salts" (no gerentological defamation inferred) cast some knowledge my way?

1 Is this common?

2 What are the remediation options?

3 Future preventative options ?

thanks

BD

Hey there,

Newbie me has just discovered I have worn heel divots in my Romany hull (first FG boat- second season)

Can some of you "old salts" (no gerentological defamation inferred) cast some knowledge my way?

1 Is this common?

thanks

BD

I don't see why you couldn't simply put a small fiberglass patch and resin over the worn area.

If the worn spots are simple depressions that only require to be filled back in then two part PC-7 or PC-11 Epoxy that you can buy inexpensively in small tube quantities at ACE Hardware stores and many other hardware stores and sometimes at large box store lumber yards will easily bond to your hull and both of the epoxies are waterproof plus they come in the color of white (or black) These epoxies you simply mix the two parts, spread as see fit then you can put packing tape over them to make it smooth while it cures. I've used this epoxy to repair chips in hulls before.

http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/putty-...s/pc-marine.php

Hey there,

1 Is this common?

Yes. Kayak manufacturers typically don't add sacrificial material the the high wear area where one's heels rest. Sand and rubber heels make a perfect tool for grinding away the resin and fiberglass

If you've worn through the glass, it should be replaced, as gelcoat alone has little strength. The process is similar to any other type of fiberglass repair, with one exception. After you build the area back up, I would add an extra layer or two of fiberglass and fill the weave completely. This will be your sacrificial layer that you can renew as often as necessary.

For repair instructions, see my related albums on Webshots at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

See above