deliberate tire damage?

nancysan

With reluctance I start this topic. Apparently the popularity of paddling is making some locals of put-in spots less than thrilled. I guess I would stress that we as paddlers should know the rules and regulations of put-in areas we use and try to be respectful of swim beaches, etc.

That said, I had an unwelcome experience yesterday. I was once told last year, at Pavilion Beach in Ipswich, that I should not put in there, even though others were putting in before and after. I had been putting in there for six years, but since it was a holiday weekend, I decided to not talk back to the local telling me this. I also have lived in Ipswich for almost a decade, but not my whole life. I was told to go down to the left end by the clammer launch, AND to not paddle across the swim beach where the buoys designate swim area (the buoys are moved way out by the boat moorings this year). I have tried to follow these instructions since then, though it is not posted specifically. I believe it says no launching of boats on the beach... I'll read it again. I see people backing trailers over by the clam boat area during low tide.

Anyway, to get to the point: I had the valve of my tire tampered with and my tire went flat as I was loading my boat. This was on an uncrowded weekday morning, and coincidently (or not) the same person (who scolded me last year) was at the beach that day. (He's almost always there.) I try to avoid the crowded times, I am non-confrontational and respectful. I was told by my auto repair shop that I was not the first local kayaker to have had this happen at Pavilion this week. I am not happy that people resort to these tactics. I guess I see this is a problem that could potentially increase as the sport gains popularity.

Just letting people know my experience.

Nancy

:ph34r:

I'm sorry you had to go through this but its not uncommon for people to take it upon themselves to enforce what the believe the rules are, i.e. sometimes parking is allowed but they feel they are important enough to override the prevailing rules. If you want to know what the regulations are for a particular site I'd suggest contacting the police or other relevant authorities. It won't, however, prevent someone from taking it upon themselves. In that case its important to make sure your spare is inflated, etc. Its probably a good idea to do this more often than most of us do.

What a bummer!

I wonder if Comono Point will be an issue now.

Last year 5 or 6 of us were in Kingston NH during the week for a skills session. When we got in from paddling, all of our door handles were covered with the stinkiest garlic/onion goop that is used as power bait by local bass fishermen. There were 3 or 4 trucks with bass boat trailers parked in the lot at that time we put in so I figured that it was them that did this dirty deed. I notified the Kingston Police that night but doubt it would make a differance.

That was the last time I paddled there.

What a bummer!

Last year 5 or 6 of us were in Kingston NH during the week for a skills session. When we got in from paddling, all of our door handles were covered with the stinkiest garlic/onion goop that is used as power bait by local bass fishermen. There were 3 or 4 trucks with bass boat trailers parked in the lot at that time we put in so I figured that it was them that did this dirty deed. I notified the Kingston Police that night but doubt it would make a differance.

Yuck.

Well they aren't driving me out that fast! Been there a lot and plan to continue to be there. Though it did rattle me. Yeah, I notified the police once the repair shop told me it was definitely deliberate damage. I've had dirty looks at Conomo and also know at Lane's Cove some fishermen to be possessive. Good luck out there everyone.

Thats terrible! It's bad enough that there are so many places you cant launch officially, now we are adding places we can't launch unofficially!

I remember this type of behavior in Charlestown ... but Ipswich ??? :(

What a bummer!

As long as you don't launch or land your kayak on the boat ramp it should not be a problem at Conomo.

As for parking: Essex residents are entitled, as they are in Manchester by the Sea and in Gloucester, to park closest to the launches. For non-residents -- and this includes Bob and myself in regard to Essex and Manchester -- it's best to get your boat and your gear off and out of the car ASAP when you're parked on the area facing the beach at Conomo, then move it to the area between the signs on Conomo Pt Rd. When you land, do the same.

Walter Mears has sold his house on Conomo and parking in his driveway is not an option.

We've been paddling out of Ipswich and Essex for years and never had a problem, although it sounds like Pavillion may be becoming one. While I can see the need to keep paddlers out of the swimming areas and have them launch at the far end of the beach, I don't see the need to resort to nastiness, which is pretty cowardly.

As for parking at Pavillion in Gloucester and Lane's Cove: it is fairly limited and Lane's Cove is a "working harbor" of sorts. I bought a beach sticker this year to prevent any "issues" with residents, and I'm hoping it doesn't become an issue for others.

Perhaps this sudden rash of nastiness is due to all the hot weather and more and more people using the beaches than usual. I've lived in coastal towns most of my life and I can well understand why the locals get upset when they get to the beach and there's no parking for them because out-of-towners, sans beach stickers which residents have probably had to pay for -- the going rate in Gloucester is $20 --, not to mention taxes, are parking for free. However, this does NOT excuse sabotaging people's vehicles. The police are usually pretty understanding about this but, as they are paid by the town, they may not be too eager to follow through on the complaint.

Deb M

... and there's no parking for them because out-of-towners, sans beach stickers which residents have probably had to pay for -- the going rate in Gloucester is $20 --, not to mention taxes, are parking for free.

What is a "beach sticker"? Where do you get them and what do they buy you?

Thanks!

Ty

Thanks!

Ty

No beach stickers for Pavilion, Ipswich, though I have heard talk of trying to make it a resident beach. Yes, I think this is the mean spirited-ness of a few, and yes, I think Deb is on to something with all the great beach and kayaking weather we have had. I probably paddle off Pavilion three to four times a week on average all summer for the past few summers and this is the first problem I've had since the scolding last year (believe it was Labor Day weekend). I will not forget who scolded me and I will be watching him, though obviously I can not go anywhere and keep an eye on my truck at the same time. The police said they understood my concern but were quick to say they couldn't really do anything unless they caught someone red-handed. A tough thing to do if the culprit is working a fairly empty beach when it's only an unfortunate victim and a few other people, perhaps also out in boats.

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about going out next time from there, as my truck is very easy to spot.

Nancy

Thanks!

Ty

A beach sticker is issued by the town or city you live in. In Gloucester, you go to City Hall, show proof of residency -- either a tax bill or your car registration -- fork over $20 and they hand over the sticker, which you put on the driver's side passenger window of your car. This "buys you" parking at the beach. Otherwise, you'll pay whatever the going rate is at Good Harbor or Wingasheek; my understanding is it ain't cheap. There is no charge for parking at Niles Beach or Lane's Cove, but I'd rather have a sticker proving residency in Gloucester than find my car keyed because a local thought I was from out of town. I also know I wouldn't be too happy if I got to Lanes and wanted to launch my boat and found every available parking space taken up by out of town kayakers.

And, btw, Niles is impossible to launch from as the Mommy Patrol is petrified that an errant kayaker will run over one of their little darlings. What galls me is that wind surfers launch from this beach all the time and a wind surfer doesn't strike me as having as much control over their craft as a kayaker.

In the case of Essex, a resident with a sticker can park in the very few actual parking spaces near the water rather than down the road a bit.

As for summer residents in Gloucester: They qualify with a tax bill showing that they own property in Gloucester. I think property renters qualify with a copy of their rental agreement, but it's a temporary sticker. Essex and Rockport residents -- I don't know about Manchester -- can obtain a sticker (although it is not reciprocal; trust me, we've tried in Essex) from Gloucester BUT the fee is higher and may be between $50 -$100; I don't know what it is because I've not needed to buy one.

I'm not sure what the procedure is in Ipswich as residents have access to Crane Beach at considerably lower rates than even The Trustees of Reservations (TTOR) members pay for entry. The reason it works this way is an agreement between Ipswich and the Crane Family that goes back quite a ways.

In the number of coastal towns I've lived in the above is pretty much the procedure for obtaining parking privileges. I think Lisa Huntington mentioned that she could buy a parking pass from Manchester but I'm not sure how that differs from a beach sticker and how long it is good for; a beach sticker is good year round and sometimes acts as a dump sticker, also.

Deb M

Residents in Ipswich can buy a Crane's Beach sticker each year with vehicle registration as proof of residency. I think it is $20 now (was $8 when I first moved here), and will also get you in to the transfer station (for yard waste). This was a trust of sort Crane left to the residents of Ipswich. No launching of kayaks from the drive-in area of Crane's though.

Residents in Ipswich can buy a Crane's Beach sticker each year with vehicle registration as proof of residency. I think it is $20 now (was $8 when I first moved here), and will also get you in to the transfer station (for yard waste). This was a trust of sort Crane left to the residents of Ipswich. No launching of kayaks from the drive-in area of Crane's though.

Wow, Nancy, it's $20 now for a sticker to get into Crane for a resident? When I worked at Castle Hill 12 years ago I think it was $2.

Exactly right about launching from Cranes or from the TTOR BoatHouse off Argilla Rd -- it's a no go, although you can Land your boat for a rest or picnic a green head killing spree on Cranes.

Deb M

Anyway, to get to the point: I had the valve of my tire tampered with and my tire went flat as I was loading my boat.

:ph34r:

The jerk was clearly trying to annoy you just short of criminal offense (slashing the tire). Although I don't have a remedy for door locks jammed with broken toothpicks or superglue, a $20 investment in a portable 12v air compressor isn't a bad idea to pressurize your tire in less than 5 minutes total.

You'll then know quickly too if the air was released via the valve (cowardly wimp with a semblance of a superego) or, heaven forbid, slashed, for which there is no safe repair (indeed, patching a sidewall puncture is illegal in MA).

Risking straying further off-topic, re "normal" tread-area punctures: some autos (esp those with runflat tires) even carry a pressurized can of "slime" (e.g., "Fix-a-Flat") to temporarily plug some punctures from the inside. But adding 1/2 pound of sloshing gel invariably upsets the balance wildly, necessitating dismounting the tire to empty it of goo and then cleaning the hole area well before patching, remounting and rebalancing.

I find it easier to simply "plug" it well from the outside, which if done carefully will be a permanent repair. You can buy such a hole reamer and hook kit with a half dozen plugs for around $10. If you can find the hole and roll the car a bit for access, you can effect this quick repair without even removing the tire/wheel from the car or using a jack to lift it up, if you're willing to lie on the ground to ream the hole and insert the plug. After re-inflation you test the plug with a bit of spittle. If it bubbles, inflate to 40 psi, drive home and recheck. The "settled" plug may seal well.

If not, remove wheel and either redo your plug more carefully, or just punt and get to a pro-installed inner patch and rebal.

This group is the best! So many people happy to share great information. Thank-you, all. (Also enjoying the surfing thread going on.)

I would LOVE to go for a paddle from Pavilion this weekend. I think Sat. is the only option for me and I recommend getting there early to avoid the tons of cars. Hey, I'm thinking of perhaps just putting signs in each of my windows saying PLEASE LEAVE MY VEHICLE ALONE, but I don't want to become more of a target, so I don't know... I would be going for a short paddle off there right now, but not sure I'm going to be able to motivate myself... :(

Thanks again. You guys rule. Nancy :)

As long as you don't launch or land your kayak on the boat ramp it should not be a problem at Conomo.

As for parking: Essex residents are entitled, as they are in Manchester by the Sea and in Gloucester, to park closest to the launches. For non-residents -- and this includes Bob and myself in regard to Essex and Manchester -- it's best to get your boat and your gear off and out of the car ASAP when you're parked on the area facing the beach at Conomo, then move it to the area between the signs on Conomo Pt Rd. When you land, do the same.

Thanks, Deb. I used to go there a lot and pretty much followed what you say, but didn't know to avoid the boat ramp. ERBA uses it, but I've always just thrown the boat off the vehicle at the little sandy beach area and then moved vehicle down the street beyond the resident parking.

Nancy, I think you <should> put that notice in your car window, then pretend to go kayaking one day; but simply remain nearby to watch and be ready with camera...a little bit of subterfuge and undercover work will make for good reading in these pages for <us>, even if it means a boring day "off-water" for <you>! (Smile)

Regarding Lanes Cove: I am there at least twice a week and have never had any problem with locals -- perhaps they know me well enough now? Neither do I bother locking the car.

"Neither do I bother locking the car."

Geoffrey,

Are you harboring a barely subconscious wish for a different, newer car, perhaps a Subie with several remote alarm/lock function key fobs? Lemme know...(couldn't resist).

Ern

Thanks, Deb. I used to go there a lot and pretty much followed what you say, but didn't know to avoid the boat ramp. ERBA uses it, but I've always just thrown the boat off the vehicle at the little sandy beach area and then moved vehicle down the street beyond the resident parking.

Right on, Nancy.

One of the prime reasons for not using the boat ramp, especially a few hours before low tide or just towards high tide is it's one sure way to irritate the clammers at Essex who make their livelihood off the mud.

As for ERBA: it's an Essex-based operation and thus entitled to launch everything there. Out of towners launching craft can also use the ramp, but they also have to move their cars and trailers to the non-resident parking area.

Just as a further warning about Conomo: If it's low tide and walking through mud isn't your idea of fun, you can always launch off the beach with the dock and sailboats, which is off the top of the hill at Conomo. Once again, launch and unload, but please park your car in the designated non-resident area. Don't even think of parking in any of the tempting spaces up there or along the road. I don't want to sound like the Essex Police Department, but one sure way of getting to know said Essex Police Department is to park illegaly and get ticketed or, worse, towed, not to mention earning bad karma with every resident in the area.

And let's all hope that what's going on at Pavilion is just a hot and humid weather aberration.

Deb M

It seems to me that the best way to handle the tire deflation issue would to do a little surveillance. A kayaker or two should park there, with someone else in another vehicl to watch the cars from a distance, where they could photograph or video record the perpetrator. Once you have that type of evidence for the police and the perpetrator ends up in court, it should put a damper on this kind of stupidity.

It seems to me that the best way to handle the tire deflation issue would to do a little surveillance. A kayaker or two should park there, with someone else in another vehicl to watch the cars from a distance, where they could photograph or video record the perpetrator. Once you have that type of evidence for the police and the perpetrator ends up in court, it should put a damper on this kind of stupidity.

Haven't been back there. I will be interested to hear if it happens to anyone else. At least I'm venturing to other spots :mellow:

Just got back from Quebec, though I won't go into why I prefer to paddle up there.

Sorry to hear of the hassle at Pavilion. I paddle there regularly throughout the winter and this is the 1st season doing some summer paddling there. I also paddle Kingston Pond regularly (but I prefer being there around 6am at either place.

Perhaps my take on the situation is a bit different, but when I read your post I turned to my wife and said "some guy is harassing this woman who kayaks at Pavilion"

That's how I would present it to the police.

I think people are on the right track with the cameras, I have no problem photographing the guy, no need for discretion in taking his picture it is not against the law.

My wife and I last put in there July 18th , she says she just remembers some guy with his dog...hell I'd photo the dog as well if that's the guy.

Pavilion is about as far into Mass as I go to paddle, though we are pleasantly surprised that it is open to the public it is... and harassment is harassment.

I'll be bringing a camera next time I put in down there...or drop a note if you would like.

Just got back from Quebec, though I won't go into why I prefer to paddle up there.

Sorry to hear of the hassle at Pavilion. I paddle there regularly throughout the winter and this is the 1st season doing some summer paddling there. I also paddle Kingston Pond regularly (but I prefer being there around 6am at either place.

Perhaps my take on the situation is a bit different, but when I read your post I turned to my wife and said "some guy is harassing this woman who kayaks at Pavilion"

That's how I would present it to the police.

I think people are on the right track with the cameras, I have no problem photographing the guy, no need for discretion in taking his picture it is not against the law.

My wife and I last put in there July 18th , she says she just remembers some guy with his dog...hell I'd photo the dog as well if that's the guy.

Pavilion is about as far into Mass as I go to paddle, though we are pleasantly surprised that it is open to the public it is... and harassment is harassment.

I'll be bringing a camera next time I put in down there...or drop a note if you would like.

Could be the same guy.... Black dog, not a lab but fairly big. He lives there most summer days up by the little neck side. Haven't seen the dog lately (haven't been there of late, either tho). Acts like he owns the beach. He was there that day, but there is no proof. I've modified my life because of this, and that stinks. Seen some new places though LOL