Race Point

markstephens

I'm thinking of circumnavigating Cape Cod this winter. One spot that I am quite interested in is Race Point, at the extreme northwest tip of the Cape. It is known for tidal rips and surf, but I can't find any more information than that. The nearest tide/current reference station is a mile offshore and only records a knot of current.

Has anybody paddled around there, or have any detailed local knowledge they can share? I'm interested in whether it would be a good play spot, as opposed to just wanting to paddle past it.

Thanks in advance.

There's nothing remarkable there as I recall. It's very deep and unobstructed about a quarter of a mile out. Tides in Cape Cod Bay keep it that way. Any current would be stronger out there than close to shore.

I'd launch early from Nauset Marsh on a falling tide expecting some help from the flood in the afternoon. It's 32 miles to Herring Cove Beach with some beautiful cliffs and dunes along the way. There is typically dumping surf on the Cape's outer beaches during high water but much of the energy is spent further out around low tide.

The Nauset Marsh inlet would be the more interesting place to play. There's always some kind of bar break going on out there.

Best of luck...

>I'm thinking of circumnavigating Cape Cod this winter. One

>spot that I am quite interested in is Race Point, at the

>extreme northwest tip of the Cape. It is known for tidal

>rips and surf, but I can't find any more information than

>that. The nearest tide/current reference station is a mile

>offshore and only records a knot of current.

Mark,

See if you can get your hands on a small scale (large feature) chart of the Point. From the topography of the shoals and location of the rips you'll be able to determine the areas for the fastest current indicated by rapid change in depth (vertical contsriction) or funnel shaped underwater features (horizontal constrictions). Also note that swells from ocean storms hit the race and bend around the landforms and shallower depths. Northeast swells and northerly winds would make that area intersting indeed.

Have you consulted the Coastal Pilo and/or other cruising guidest to see what they say? You may also want to talk with some local bait shops to get local info. Stripped Bass guys work these same features with both rapid depth changes and current all of the time. It's where the fat ones tend to hunt for bait fish.

>Has anybody paddled around there, or have any detailed local

>knowledge they can share? I'm interested in whether it would

>be a good play spot, as opposed to just wanting to paddle

>past it.

I do not have personal experince for the Point but I am interested, having planned my way around the Cape on several occasions. How long are you planning to allow for the circumnavigation? Going through the canal as well? The hotest spot I know of around there is Pollock Rip if you choose to include Monomoy. Make sure you've got that current timing right or plan to wait things out at the rip.

A couple of years ago a small group of us went from Woods Hole to Nantucket in a long day riding the currents for all they were worth. It's a tricky area for riding the tides but a very rewarding experience when you hit it right. Maybe we should talk about a Grand Tour of Nantucket Sound (the scenic route) over say a 4 day paddle? ;-)

cheers,

jed

“Going through the canal as well?”

Hey! That sounds like a kayak challenge for Navy Seals …getting through without being detected, detained and fined by the authorities, that is. You’d need a dark camouflaged dry suit, kayak, paddle and grease paint. And you could skip the PFD just to up the ante a little. You’d be night-paddling tight to the rip rap embankments and having no PFD might help while scrambling onto shore and fleeing into the woods with the flashing lights and bullhorns behind you.

It sounds like something that Nomad guy might try. But he’s probably long gone and camping on shell mounds in the Everglades this winter.

Well, actually Don, I don't know about that Nomad guy, but I had a plan for doing it... ;-) Legally, of course!

But I wouldn't want to hug the riprap embankment. Have you seen the standing waves that form about halfway down the canal? Man, that would be too much fun to miss.

With the current that runs through there, you could probably paddle the whole length of the canal in well under an hour.

Unfortunately I can't help with the current question. I suspect (but don't know) that the currents wouldn't be terribly large because there water isn't as "trapped" in the Bay as it is in Nantucket Sound.

When you figure out your route, I'd like to hear what it is (e.g. around Monomoy or cutting through etc).

Also, if you want, I have a house on the water in Harwich Port - if the schedule works out, I'd be happy to take a stretch out there on that bit of the coast, if you have any inclination toward company.

Best,

John Huth

Hi John:

I guess I gave people the wrong impression that I was planning a Cape Cod circumnavigation in ONE TRIP. I was actually just planning to do it in pieces, via daytrips. The days are too short and too cold to do an extended trip now. (I got people's attention, tho!)

So, yeah, if you want to paddle some Cape Cod shoreline with me, let's do it. I'd ideally like to do one-way trips with a shuttle, to knock off more miles at a time than doing round-trips, since there is so much driving involved for me in reaching the Outer Cape.

Mark

I'd be willing to help you shuttle. My home "turf" (surf?) is the stretch between the Swan River to Chatham - that's about +/- 5 miles on either side of my house - that's easy - basically nil current, and only a few funky spots with a bit of shoaling that can give good breakers.

John

OK, you guys got me thinking. It looks like roughly 190 miles around the Cape, including South Monomoy and the Canal. Maybe 10-11 paddling days, the longest being just a bit over 20 miles, so plan on two weeks with a couple down days. I have a draft list of 10-12 places to stay - either paddling friends with places on the Cape or places to camp, like Washburn Island. I'm thinking April might be a great time to do this.

Anybody interested?

For sure, I'd be willing to help shuttle, and also paddle as much as I can - time permitting.

April conditions - very cold water (39 degrees F), and warmer air temnps (50's). If you dress for immersion, you get very hot - bring lots of drinking water!

John