Magnolia and South - Thursday 7/15

alcoons

Anyone want to paddle Thursday, 7/15? [Wednesday does not look like good weather and seas are predicted at 2-4 feet.]

12 miles?

Mellow class 3-/3 paddle?

Maybe 11-3 PM?

High Tide around 2:50 PM Thursday.

"Thu...NE winds around 5 kt...becoming SE in the afternoon. Seas 1 foot or less."

One suggestion is Magnolia to Misery to Bakers and return:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3875157

I am still guessing at the put-in at Magnolia. Open to other suggestions.

Al

OK, now I'm in. Thanks Al for your persistence. I can be on the water by 11:00, but I haven't been to that put-in. When you say you're guessing, do you mean you're unsure about parking or accessibility?

Thanks,

Kevin

Anyone want to paddle Thursday, 7/15? [Wednesday does not look like good weather and seas are predicted at 2-4 feet.]

12 miles?

Mellow class 3-/3 paddle?

Maybe 11-3 PM?

High Tide around 2:50 PM Thursday.

"Thu...NE winds around 5 kt...becoming SE in the afternoon. Seas 1 foot or less."

One suggestion is Magnolia to Misery to Bakers and return:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3875157

I am still guessing at the put-in at Magnolia. Open to other suggestions.

Al

Hi Al,

I'm a very strong maybe, but prefer Tuck's Point for a put-in, 11AM arrival, 11:30 BIB. This has been my "standard" weekday paddle for a couple of years. May be able to get Leon, Gene, Lisa, Shari, et al to join in.

RSVP.

Ern

Tucks is OK with me, FWIW. I'd actually prefer it since I've been there before.

Kevin

Guess I was trying to do something different. Not guessing any longer at the put-in in magnolia. See the post on the main message board in response to my question about that put-in. It is fine.

What route will you be taking from Tucks?

Please post exact directions for those who are new.

Al

Guess I was trying to do something different. Not guessing any longer at the put-in in magnolia. See the post on the main message board in response to my question about that put-in. It is fine.

What route will you be taking from Tucks?

Please post exact directions for those who are new.

Al

Hi Al.

I remain a bit confused re the Magnolia parking: is it only a 20' spot (2 cars)?

Either location is fine with me, but if we're heading south Tuck's is closer, giving us a bit more time to meander if conditions permit.

I'll go with your decision; if Magnolia please elucidate parking that will accommodate a pod.

See ya at 11.

Ern

Hi Al.

I remain a bit confused re the Magnolia parking: is it only a 20' spot (2 cars)?

Either location is fine with me, but if we're heading south Tuck's is closer, giving us a bit more time to meander if conditions permit.

I'll go with your decision; if Magnolia please elucidate parking that will accommodate a pod.

See ya at 11.

Ern

Sounds as if there is plenty of parking from BillyD's post but I am asking for clarification.

Not sure why we want to continue to paddle the same old route south from Tucks. It is perhaps the most paddled route we do in one form or another. The coastline north is so pretty.

Anyway, sounds as if it is an 11:30 firm launch time from Tucks unless there is a change of sentiment. Maybe we can do the route I suggested and look at the Magnolia parking.

Hello Al,

I would like to join you on Thursday (Tomorrow) at 11am.

I just “Google-Mapped†the Tuck’s Point, Manchester put-in.

If you change the put-in please provide directions –Street Address/GPS Coordinates work the best in 21 century ;)

Greetings,

Konstantin

The only problem, here, is that if you go into Tucks with 6 cars in high season you might jeopardize our "wink and nod" parking hopes, wherever you park. Especially if you block traffic while offloading or anything like that. Please be careful! Maybe you could split up and park in different places? Maybe some of you could even use the police station ramp or something (?)

Lisa

Just to clarify: I don't have a _big_ preference for Tucks and I certainly see the appeal of trying something new. I'd be happy to use Magnolia. Google Maps will get me in the neighborhood, but directions from Rte 127 would be helpful since I don't see it on the Put-Ins page.

Another possibility would be to use Tucks tomorrow since Ernie & Gene have expressesed a preference. We'll scout Magnolia and then we can launch there in the near future. I have some vacation days to burn this summer so chances are you can talk me into trying it. Maybe I"ll even take the initiative to post it myself since that's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

Kevin

Another possibility would be to use Tucks tomorrow since Ernie & Gene have expressesed a preference. We'll scout Magnolia and then we can launch there in the near future. I have some vacation days to burn this summer so chances are you can talk me into trying it. Maybe I"ll even take the initiative to post it myself since that's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

Kevin

Just what I was thinking but Lisa's earlier point about over-extending our welcome at Tucks is valid. In fact, one of my motivations for launching at Magnolia was because I have been avoiding Tucks. I am really caught between the conflicting points here.

However, Barry just updated info on launching at Magnolia. See his post and map at

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7189

So, anyone willing to launch with me from Magnolia at 11:30 AM? If yes, I will update the details. If a group wants to launch at Tucks, why don't you post that on a new thread. Reminder that this is a 3-/3 trip with the potential for wind and waves.

Note that it less than 5 miles by road from Magnolia to Tucks if for some reason there is a problem at Magnolia.

Al

"Nothing is easy."

However, Barry just updated info on launching at Magnolia. See his post and map at

So, anyone willing to launch with me from Magnolia at 11:30 AM? If yes, I will update the details. If a group wants to launch at Tucks, why don't you post that on a new thread. Reminder that this is a 3-/3 trip with the potential for wind and waves.

Al

Hi Al,

Tuck's should hopefully continue to be available IF the following are observed:

PARK AND/OR UNLOAD ONLY in the rear of the lot next to the trees.

Absolutely NEVER stop on the road to load nor unload, and best not to unload in the "upper" part of the lot (nearest the road) which is again a bit conspicuous, and perhaps displacing beach visitors.

Lisa's point re 6+ cars parked in the public lot seems valid. Perhaps if we have more than that (unlikely tomorrow) some should park down behind the Yacht Club utility building (you passed it on the left before the public parking area). Thus we minimize our footprint.

PUT IN ONLY on the left-most grassy/rocky area near the front of the "party" house...NEVER on the sandy beach south of there.

Gene's going to T'sP regardless, and perhaps the idea of putting in there and meandering NORTH is easiest. OTOH if a majority prefer to launch at Magnolia in order to have a longer paddle NORTH then of course that's fine. Let's try to decide this tonight, not tomorrow morn!

Ern

Al

Hi Al,

Tuck's should hopefully continue to be available IF the following are observed:

PARK AND/OR UNLOAD ONLY in the rear of the lot next to the trees.

Absolutely NEVER stop on the road to load nor unload, and best not to unload in the "upper" part of the lot (nearest the road) which is again a bit conspicuous, and perhaps displacing beach visitors.

Lisa's point re 6+ cars parked in the public lot seems valid. Perhaps if we have more than that (unlikely tomorrow) some should park down behind the Yacht Club utility building (you passed it on the left before the public parking area). Thus we minimize our footprint.

PUT IN ONLY on the left-most grassy/rocky area near the front of the "party" house...NEVER on the sandy beach south of there.

Gene's going to T'sP regardless, and perhaps the idea of putting in there and meandering NORTH is easiest. OTOH if a majority prefer to launch at Magnolia in order to have a longer paddle NORTH then of course that's fine. Let's try to decide this tonight, not tomorrow morn!

Ern

Ern.

Glad you have that local knowledge. So let's do Tuck's Point and follow your suggestions. Looks as if launch is 11:30 (that is earliest you said you can make it)? Does that work for everyone? I will be ready. Sorry about the confusion.

Ok I'll be there (Tuck's i.e) One more caveat to Ern's exhaustive post on Tuck's etiquette. All bets are off for the weekends. Even the Yacht Club doesn't want us in their auxiliary lot on weekends. That's when Magnolia might be a good option.

I'll be there, as long as the forecast doesn't get any worse. I'm not implying that it will, I'm just saying.

Sunny, max 83F, ENE 10knots. Should be a beauty, esp if we head north and have a free ride back.

Gene, thanks for the reminder...it's been a long time since I paddled there on a weekend.

Ern