Gloucester South - Saturday or Sunday??

alcoons

Early announcement so we can determine interest. Weather may dictate the choice of days. Please show interest. Certainly open to other trips.

Date: Saturday or Sunday 7/17 or 7/18

Launch: Gloucester: Pavilion (Greasy Pole) 9:30 AM to take advantages of the tide, parking, and reduce thunderstorm risk.

Return: 2-4 PM

Route: South past Hammon Castle towards Kettle and Magnolia Beach. Return by Dogbar. 10-12 miles minimum.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3055068

Level: 3-/3 Note that large swells are not uncommon on the return trip. This could be a 3- or a very solid 3/3+ depending on conditions.

Trip Type and Tone: CAM. All stay together. Support each other. Conservative decisions. Should be comfortable with wind and waves.

Low Tide: Saturday 10:14. Sunday 11 AM

Al Coons

Cetus

Red/White

Al,

Just a heads up that the Blackburn Race is Saturday, July 17th in case that influences your plan to leave from Gloucester...

Lorrie

Thanks Lorrie. We can easily morph this into the traditional "Watching the Blackburn at the Dogbar and then going down the coast" trip or maybe we watch on the return. Anyone up enough on the Blackburn to remember when the finishers come by the Dogbar?

It would also be great to have a list of NSPNers who are paddling this year?

Al

Anyone up enough on the Blackburn to remember when the finishers come by the Dogbar?

I would guess some where around 10AM.

Tyson and I are. And I believe Leon is.

Emilie

Anyone up enough on the Blackburn to remember when the finishers come by the Dogbar?

The Surf Skis might be starting around 8:30. The start schedule is tentative. The fastest of them are a bit under 2.5 hrs, but that will depend on conditions. Some other classes start around 8:00 and some of the fastest Blackburn times have been down near 2 hrs. So, 10:00 would be about the earliest reasonable (assuming that the 2 miles from the dogbar to the finish isn't very far compared with the entire route). I expect that Emilie and I might be going by in the 12:00 time frame.

I'd be interested in either day. I'm new to the network and this would be my first trip. I understand you want the following info since you don't know me:

Name: prudence baxter

boat: Valley avocet orange/white

how to contact me: prubax@aol.com; 617-661-6399

paddling experience: MIKCo rough water symposium this year is most recent class

Thanks Lorrie. We can easily morph this into the traditional "Watching the Blackburn at the Dogbar and then going down the coast" trip or maybe we watch on the return. Anyone up enough on the Blackburn to remember when the finishers come by the Dogbar?

Al

To see the list of all the registered participants go to http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/ and click on the third link ".... Registered Participants"

Besides NSPNers Tyson, Emile and me, Greg Lesher and Lisa Huntington are also racing (perhaps a few others I didn't notice).

Besides NSPNers Tyson, Emile and me, Greg Lesher and Lisa Huntington are also racing (perhaps a few others I didn't notice).

I think you may have mis-understood. Our pace doesn't count as "racing". We are merely participating. ;)

At the present, I am leaning towards Sunday. Weather looks great (better than Saturday) and those that want to watch the race on Saturday will be able to do that also. Of course, weather changes.

Al

At the present, I am leaning towards Sunday. Weather looks great (better than Saturday) and those that want to watch the race on Saturday will be able to do that also. Of course, weather changes.

Al

A good possibility for me as well on Sunday.

I think you may have mis-understood. Our pace doesn't count as "racing". We are merely participating. ;)

Try and keep up with Greg (or at least Lisa and/or me) and you'll be racing by definition.