Magnolia Parking/Put-in

alcoons

Can anyone tell me about putting in/parking in Magnolia? If memory serves me, someone once said you can launch on the beach near Fuller Street and then park on Fuller Street but does anyone have recent knowledge?

Thanks,

Al

I've had no problem there any time of day, as long as you don't leave the car in the resident sticker zone. However, I've fuddled about, sometimes long enough to walk to the corner store, with my van parked right there in "resident only" and never been reprimanded. A friend who sails and was moored in the cove explained to me that the little roadway continues as a 20' public right of way across the beach. It's possible seasonal beachgoers might not know this and be concerned, he said. But as far as I know it's unrestricted access by all. I've put in there about 5 times this year.

No Problemo

happy paddlin'

BD

Can anyone tell me about putting in/parking in Magnolia? If memory serves me, someone once said you can launch on the beach near Fuller Street and then park on Fuller Street but does anyone have recent knowledge?

Thanks,

Al

I've had no problem there any time of day, as long as you don't leave the car in the resident sticker zone. However, I've fuddled about, sometimes long enough to walk to the corner store, with my van parked right there in "resident only" and never been reprimanded. A friend who sails and was moored in the cove explained to me that the little roadway continues as a 20' public right of way across the beach. It's possible seasonal beachgoers might not know this and be concerned, he said. But as far as I know it's unrestricted access by all. I've put in there about 5 times this year.

No Problemo

happy paddlin'

BD

Thanks for the update. Sounds as if there is plenty of room for a large group of cars? The 20' refers to getting to the launch I assume?

Just to clarify: I don't have a _big_ preference for Tucks and I certainly see the appeal of trying something new. I'd be happy to use Magnolia. Google Maps will get me in the neighborhood, but directions from Rte 127 would be helpful since I don't see it on the Put-Ins page.

Another possibility would be to use Tucks tomorrow since Ernie & Gene have expressesed a preference. We'll scout Magnolia and then we can launch there in the near future. I have some vacation days to burn this summer so chances are you can talk me into trying it. Maybe I"ll even take the initiative to post it myself since that's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

Kevin

Thanks for the update. Sounds as if there is plenty of room for a large group of cars? The 20' refers to getting to the launch I assume?

The access is definitely public. It is known as Grays Beach Landing. Attached is a screen shot from the Mass Office of Coastal Zone Management website. During the week especially there should be plenty of public street parking nearby. Lovely area, wish I was off tomorrow!

Barry.

post-100453-1279114219_thumb.jpg

Regardless of where we end up launching, thanks a lot for posting that link. I was unaware of the site, but it definitely looks handy.

Kevin

They also publish a guide to the access points on the North Shore here. If you call or email them they will send you a printed version (at least they did in the past). Very handy to have in the car.

Barry.

Yes, Barry, thanks for the link

Sorry for any confusion re: "20 ft"......here is a tardy clarification

Seeing the map clears up my memory of the conversation (it was a few years back)

The 20', I now belieive, refers to the distance to the public/private beach dividing line as offset NW from the end of little roadway that descends to the beach. According to the map in the link, everything SW of that line to the end of the beach is public landing.....loads of beach room,

additional points

+ Kettle Island, just off shore, is a significant rookery for Great Blues, Glossy Ibis, Big White Egrets and many others....hundreds of resident birds.... It's fun like Logan watching groups of them come and go at dusk and dawn

- The cove is flat and reqires a hike at low tide through soft "stinky" (like Lynn beach ) sand

+ The parking along Fuller street usually has room for several cars

PS Best wishes to all you Blackburn Challengers

BiilyD

Thanks for all the info Billy. Here is what we discovered from our trip and also speaking to the "locals".

We landed and ate lunch at the small public ramp at Magnolia. Landing was nice but water is full seaweed. Locals say this is very common. There is also a smell on the beach. Locals say this is not uncommon..some kind of runoff. On the other hand, walking up 20 yards from the beach along the put-in puts you on a grassy bluff with shade, benches, and a spectacular view with Bakers and beyond in the distance. There is parking right at the put-in during the week only in the summer. Not enough to guarantee a spot for a group on this A++++ weekday. Fuller street would be the parking location.

That having been said, there was group concensus that given the seaweed (significant) and smell (minor) this is not a choice put-in or lunch stop. On the other hand, I am glad to have enjoyed lunch with such wonderful view.