COMPASS Option: Larger Brunton Silva Nexus 85 or 85R.

subaruguru

I may be getting a 'yak that doesn't have an angled compass recess for a 70P. A couple of bloggers point to this variously-described "85" as a good choice for surface-mounting, as its 2 3/4" card's digits are very readable. Yet a product description limits to horizontal mounting, AND it has only two-digit numerals for all points, without NEWS either.

Have any of you come to love or hate this bigger brother?

I was thinking of simply strongly gluing/velcroing it to the deck, which I prefer to the directional instability and messiness of wiggly tie-down straps. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Surface-Moun...s/dp/B000FKMUNA

I have it on two kayaks. I can vouch that it is definitely more readable than the trusty 70p. I have screwed it in, however, and I am happy with the product.

r

I may be getting a 'yak that doesn't have an angled compass recess for a 70P. A couple of bloggers point to this variously-described "85" as a good choice for surface-mounting, as its 2 3/4" card's digits are very readable. Yet a product description limits to horizontal mounting, AND it has only two-digit numerals for all points, without NEWS either.

I was thinking of simply strongly gluing/velcroing it to the deck, which I prefer to the directional instability and messiness of wiggly tie-down straps. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Surface-Moun...s/dp/B000FKMUNA

I have it on two kayaks. I can vouch that it is definitely more readable than the trusty 70p. I have screwed it in, however, and I am happy with the product.

I agree that screwing it in place is the way to go, as Velcro will allow misalignment and the potential for loss if it gets whacked hard or someone steals it. If it's screwed in place, you can align it accurately and it's essentially theft proof.

One thing I have done is to take twist connectors for electrical wires (sorry I don't know the proper name for them thingamagigs), filled them with silicone paste and screwed them on the inside of the screws. This seals the connection from water and protects items in your hatch from being snagged by them.

I agree that screwing it in place is the way to go, as Velcro will allow misalignment and the potential for loss if it gets whacked hard or someone steals it. If it's screwed in place, you can align it accurately and it's essentially theft proof.

No persona experience. Several people I know use it and like it. They do some serious touring so if it did not do the job, they would not have it. I have seen them attached to the front hatch cover, FWIW.

Ed Lawson

I use a Brunton 85 surface mount compass on my Impex Outer Island. Having spent a fair amount of time staring at the thing in fog, I appreciate the large compass card and the large magnification of the lens.

Mine is mounted with stainless steel bolts and stainless lock nuts with nylon inserts. Take a magnet with you when you go to the hardware store; some stainless is magnetic. Double check the bolts and washers by running them around the compass to insure that they have no effect on it. Cut the bolts off flush with the ends of the nuts and file them smooth so they do not snag dry bags. I put silicon sealant on both sides of the bolt holes and all around the mounting plate. It doesn't leak.

I mounted mine aft of the forward hatch so it would not interfere with sliding my paddles under the bungees forward of the hatch. The deck was not perfectly flat, but it was close enough that tensioning the bolts pulled the deck up tight under the mounting plate.