CAM workshop moving on the water today

Gcosloy

Have to say it-today's CAM workshop moving on the water was a blast. Kudos to all the presenters and especially to Peter and Rick S. who were leading our pod today. I learned a great deal about both leadership as well as followship today, or should I say fellowship. The rescue scenarios both in calm coves and later in conditions and near the rocks were all super. We also learned some tricks to launch and hitting the beach in some mild dumping surf. I finally got to use my tow in several scenarios and learned how important contact tows can be in bad situations. I can't express enough how great this whole workshop has been, and I look forward to the next outing.

And I would like to add kudos to Galen and Scott for giving their time and sharing their knowledge! I learned allot yesterday....things that can save either myself or a paddling companion. Beach briefing, wave/wind influences, rescues, contact tows, how to tow with a rope (if necessary), and how to work as a team in rough conditions. I came out of the workshop with more experience and more confidence. So thanks guys!! It was a good day.

~Dee

The CAM workshop was amazingly well planned and executed yesterday. The exercises were right on to what many of us could benefit from at this point. Thanks to all the group leaders and in particular to Rick C and Rob. Looking forward to Part 2!

Bob

I enjoyed paddling with our group very much. We covered a lot of stuff: beach briefings, group paddling, leadership, all sorts of rescues, tows, launchings, landings; all of the things Gene mentioned. Everyone was very game, great teamwork : Sue,: rescues up close and personal with rocks, Rick making good judgment calls in rescues, Carl’s sagacity, & teamwork, Bill’s crisp surf landings, Lorrie leading our group here and there, Gene doing rescue after rescue. I’d like to think that everyone liked being part of a group on the water. I did. Thank you for a fine Saturday. See you in two weeks.

... : Sue,: rescues up close and personal with rocks, Rick making good judgment calls in rescues, Carl’s sagacity, & teamwork, Bill’s crisp surf landings, Lorrie leading our group here and there, Gene doing rescue after rescue. ...

You forgot "PeterB: stealing Sal's reading glasses during the PPB" (Post Paddle Beer)! ;)

You forgot "PeterB: stealing Sal's reading glasses during the PPB" (Post Paddle Beer)! ;)

:) In Peter's defense: He called, admitted to the crime and agreed to return the glasses. No charges were filed. :smiley_cheers:

And, I'd like to add my thanks to all who, generously, gave their time to share their knowledge and experience......and thanks to all who participated.

Have to say it-today's CAM workshop moving on the water was a blast. Kudos to all the presenters and especially to Peter and Rick S. who were leading our pod today.

[snip...]

I have to second that. I had a great time, and learned a lot!

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to the next outing.

-Bill Voss

QUESTION:

We have another workshop in 2 weeks. Should we repeat yesterday's program or are there other ideas or scenarios we could explore?

A couple things came to my mind: First, the feasibility of a 3-boat contact tow, with one person assisting the victim and another providing the power. I don't know if it would work, but I'd like to try it.

Second, trading boats on the water, whether it would be faster to do it as an all-in rescue rather than a rafted tradeoff.

I had a wonderful day yesterday! Thanks to all who showed up!

QUESTION:

Second, trading boats on the water, whether it would be faster to do it as an all-in rescue rather than a rafted tradeoff.

Rob,

It was all good, even just repeating what we did yesterday would be fine with me. We could try all-in rescues, or perhaps two-in rescues where a pair of swimmers gather their boats and get each other back upright (assuming self rescues have failed).

Bob

I second the scenario of two swimmers with out any additional help. Also it would be good to review what to do with an incapacitated swimmer like someone unconscious upside down still in the boat and the same idea but with the victim outside the boat floating. Finally, what if the swimmer needs help in the surf zone, particularly if he can't easily get to shore?

What weekend is the next session? I would love to see if I can make it and participate.

I second the scenario of two swimmers with out any additional help. Also it would be good to review what to do with an incapacitated swimmer like someone unconscious upside down still in the boat and the same idea but with the victim outside the boat floating. Finally, what if the swimmer needs help in the surf zone, particularly if he can't easily get to shore?

Many thanks to the organizers, and to all of my fellow group members. Peter & Rick S did a fantastic job sharing their knowledge and leadership with us and giving us an opportunity to learn by trial and error. Everyone was enthusiastic and it was a great chance to both practice hands on skills as well as learn new ones. We're very fortunate to have such experienced folks willing to share their expertise with us, and I'm looking forward to the next workshop.