a few photos

kate

... from the coldwater day at Lane's Cove. There was much to learn and think about. Many thanks for taking the time to share the info. By the way, it's ALL coldwater to me, all the time. Ah, for the Chesapeake Bay's 80 degree water....

I had not been to this part of the Cape before and am awestruck by how beautiful it is. I took a lot of photos and then had a hard time deciding which to use.

Also, for those who inquired, the greenland paddle I use is made by [link:www.bealepaddles.com]Don Beale.. I'm happy to plug his product here. He makes each paddle to custom specs - his page includes instructions for sizing the paddle. Mine is made of western red cedar finished with tung oil. He was very helpful and responsive, and had the paddle in my hands a week after I ordered it. Then he followed up to be sure I was happy with it. I am!

It was great to meet you all. I look forward to many days of boating together.

kate

The photos really capture what a beautiful day we were blessed with. We had 31 people attend the workshop and 2/3 of them got wet. :-))

Also, the Pot Luck was a great warm up exercise for the Christmas party. Biggest hits: A delicious whole fillet of salmon, lobster bisque, teriyaki steak on sticks, Pepperoni pie, amazing brownies - I am forgetting a few things but we obviously ate well.

Important Lesson Learned for me: Watch the little things. Be meticulous!

After we stopped on the beach when I got back in my kayak I quickly rearranged my contact tow, putting both clips on the bungy closest to the cockpit. With my gloves on I did not feel, and did not see, that I had partially clipped my sprayskirt grab loop also. At the end of the trip I saw what I had done. I thought YIKES! Had I needed to wet exit in cold water that encumbrance could have caused mucho confusion to the upside down me.

What did other people learn from this workshop?

Liz N.

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information, food, and company----a helpful concept was to get my face wet with the water I will be paddling in before I launch--then I will know to some extent what to expect if I become fully submerged--and, if I do go in, try to stay bunched up as much as possible not to lose too much body heat. Les

Thank you Liz for hosting this event.

I would also like to thank all the members that participated.

It was a great day on the water.

There was great suggestions and thought stimulating ideas presented about dressing for the cold and preparing mentally as well for the cold.

Clothes layering to the extent that you are comfortable. Carring additional clothes for inclement weather(rain, snow, cold).Carring hot drink. Before getting in kayak getting into the water and splashing water on face and then putting face into water to experience the cold water which might cause you to shock reflex. The checking of your skirt to make sure it is not restricted in coming off as a result of it being frozen to the deck.

The presentations and practices were right on and gave all that attended and opportunity,in a controlled environment,to experience current conditions.

With the highlight, the food after the event. It was five star.

Walter

Impex Serenity

Sunburst/Ivory