MITA - should it become like AT?

brambor

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I just thought of it today while staring at the renewal form that came in the mail

I have heard from some paddlers who have paddled 'the trail' (coast of Maine) but I do not see it being promoted as such by the MITA.

Probably because there are many islands in private ownership and getting a consensus could make for a loong meeting.

It would seem to be a great promotion to sea kayaking to find a way plot out places to camp that are separated by 4 hours of paddling. This would give an opportunity for paddlers to reach a camp in 4 hours, or by lunchime and subsequent camp by sunset. Slow paddlers would have all day to reach a suitable shelter.

Provide a different membership fee to trail padders which would include registration and some certificate of completion as well as fees to maintain these camping stations.

I'll make an atempt at an answer. For the MITA I would say it is the random geographic location of the islands that tend to make it not feasible. There is also the ever changing varible conditions.

I think the mind set would be against encouraging people to make poor decisions for the sake of getting a cert. Then, of course the folks who would want to be the 1st people to do it backward, only at night, one eyed, one legged, anorexic, blindfolded...well you get the picture.

But for the MITA I think the geographic, non linear arragment of the islands would be the deciding factor

However

I do think you are on to something..and so apparently do the founders of the Quebec Bleue Route.

It is indeed based on the concept Maine Island Trail. This is the route of destinations and campsites along the St Lawrence as it travels a the coast of the Gaspe.

It is a very new water trail (just these past few years). It has different segments and also there are sections on the north shore of the St Lawrence.

The concept tends to work because the St Lawrence does indeed offer a more linear trail much like the AT or the IAT/SIA. There are nominal fees for the campsites and because the Gaspe is a hard coast with limited landing ops there is a comfort to know you would be welcome at the various destinations, (though in reality you are welcome most anywhere you go up there.)

So that's a few thoughts on the subject. Certainly the Bleue Route has been paddled before the concept of a trail, but I was glad to see it established.

Isles de Madeline also offers it's version around the island as well, which I believe just came into being last year or perhaps the year before that.)

Happy paddling !

MITA has always appeared to be about stewardship rather than goals and accomodations. They take what they get, promote leave no trace practices, depend on ongoing member on-site contributions, etc. You go where you want to and can go. Camping on the closer and/or more popular islands will provide evidence of the downside of promotion of the trail, although they provide many opportunities for individual acts of stewardship.

I think that securing 'campgrounds' or b&b's (in stage locations where it is absolutely impossible to camp) and bringing it under a separate membership fee would help ensure safe rest stops as well as focus membership dollars on these specific campsites - thus managing the wear and tear on the trail.

The camp locations don't necessarily have to be on an island either. For example there are sections between Casco Bay and Portsmouth where paddlers would have to paddle upstream of a river to get to camping opportunities.

I think that securing 'campgrounds' or b&b's (in stage locations where it is absolutely impossible to camp) and bringing it under a separate membership fee would help ensure safe rest stops as well as focus membership dollars on these specific campsites - thus managing the wear and tear on the trail.

The camp locations don't necessarily have to be on an island either. For example there are sections between Casco Bay and Portsmouth where paddlers would have to paddle upstream of a river to get to camping opportunities.

I can state from Boothbay to Canada the trail has plenty of locations for camping. In 2008 I joined a trip with John where the three of us paddled from Boothbay to Canada Pictures and camping wasn't an issue.

In the next couple of years I plan on paddling from MA to Boothbay. I looked at that trip back in 2007 and the camping was a big sparse in the bottom section making for some long days. It was doable but now that MITA has picked up a number of new islands in the south it should be better. (I need to sit down with the charts and a new MITA book).

-Jason

Jason,

If there was a 'trail' would the preferred route be North to South? I'm thinking that by the time the paddler reaches Casco Bay they will have the added experience and confidence to tackle more open water for the rest of the way?

or

Are the prevailing winds from the southeast to paddle with the wind heading north a better approach?

I can state from Boothbay to Canada the trail has plenty of locations for camping. In 2008 I joined a trip with John where the three of us paddled from Boothbay to Canada Pictures and camping wasn't an issue.

In the next couple of years I plan on paddling from MA to Boothbay. I looked at that trip back in 2007 and the camping was a big sparse in the bottom section making for some long days. It was doable but now that MITA has picked up a number of new islands in the south it should be better. (I need to sit down with the charts and a new MITA book).

-Jason

Jason,

If there was a 'trail' would the preferred route be North to South? I'm thinking that by the time the paddler reaches Casco Bay they will have the added experience and confidence to tackle more open water for the rest of the way?

or

Are the prevailing winds from the southeast to paddle with the wind heading north a better approach?

Depends on who you talk with as the the direction. Many people think of the trip as paddling East - West as when you heading North your heading about as much East as North.

Our direction depended on the ability to get a ride back. Unless we got up before the sun we had a bit of current against us and a bit of wind but nothing unpleasant. Most of the days were too flat, we would have liked to have a bit more texture. We had one and a half realy great days of paddling in the fog, it was was a lot of fun to navigate just using on the charts and compass and hit our marks. If you look at the route pictures you can see where the lines are really strait is when we were paddling in the fog.

The day that we headed up to Eastport we were on the water before the sun was up as the current had to be with us. Fighting the current near Eastport wouldn't be possible going under the bridge and at one other constriction you wouldn't be able to eddy hop.

-Jason

<MITA - should it become like AT?>

I think you are, in any case, barking up the wrong tree, Brambor: if you have questions about MITA's function, should you not, rather, be addressing MITA? I hardly think their role in life is to play host to a bunch of sea kayakers, alone -- or to be seeking acquisitions that are geographically- strategic or -convenient to that same group?

MITA does a wonderful job of protection and management: those people who actually <use> the islands and camping spots doubtless come from all walks of life and all sorts of backgrounds, whether sailing, canoeing, motorboating or even kayaking?

Have I missed something in your intent?

You probably missed a whole lot. I was not barking. We're just talking here about an idea. If knew 100% what I was talking about and I thought that it warranted 'lobbying' MITA then I would have done so.

In other words. I am just trying to have a conversation about something I found interesting. :D

p.s. (MITA encourages use of self propelled vessels as opposed to motorboats)

<MITA - should it become like AT?>

I think you are, in any case, barking up the wrong tree, Brambor: if you have questions about MITA's function, should you not, rather, be addressing MITA? I hardly think their role in life is to play host to a bunch of sea kayakers, alone -- or to be seeking acquisitions that are geographically- strategic or -convenient to that same group?

MITA does a wonderful job of protection and management: those people who actually <use> the islands and camping spots doubtless come from all walks of life and all sorts of backgrounds, whether sailing, canoeing, motorboating or even kayaking?

Have I missed something in your intent?

I think MITA has got their hands full and I would not be looking to add to their work. Remember, many islands are in private ownership. I would guess that many landowners would be leary of too much use. I know I would.

I know I think of the the MITA as an alliance of people .

I think aside from geographic considerations the concept of promoting the MITA trail as a AT trail would evoke more of a "Oh My God I was afraid that was going to happen" response from many of the Island owners and folks using the waters up there....including fellow paddlers.

The concept seems the antithesis of what many have in mind.

Certifications and separate fee for various uses or accomplishments would seem to lead to further subdivision of a concept of a united group of people for one cause to many people of many different agendas.

I would worry that if MITA was to be considered much like the AMC it would be a huge negative illiciting the "OMG I was afraid that was going to happen" response once again.

In the early days of the AT it was also known as "the Gov't trail" a trail in which the the gov't was going to take your land from you and who knows what else. whether that was a realistic view or not it was a view none the less, hostilities still exist with that view as I learned in Millinockett one day at a local restaurant.

So I guess if I were to sum things up the idea of doing the trail much like the AT would be "a Hard Sell".

....on the other hand things are working out pretty well for the Northern Forest Canoe Trail....

I know I think of the the MITA as an alliance of people .

I think aside from geographic considerations the concept of promoting the MITA trail as a AT trail would evoke more of a "Oh My God I was afraid that was going to happen" response from many of the Island owners and folks using the waters up there....including fellow paddlers.

The concept seems the antithesis of what many have in mind.

Certifications and separate fee for various uses or accomplishments would seem to lead to further subdivision of a concept of a united group of people for one cause to many people of many different agendas.

I would worry that if MITA was to be considered much like the AMC it would be a huge negative illiciting the "OMG I was afraid that was going to happen" response once again.

In the early days of the AT it was also known as "the Gov't trail" a trail in which the the gov't was going to take your land from you and who knows what else. whether that was a realistic view or not it was a view none the less, hostilities still exist with that view as I learned in Millinockett one day at a local restaurant.

So I guess if I were to sum things up the idea of doing the trail much like the AT would be "a Hard Sell".

....on the other hand things are working out pretty well for the Northern Forest Canoe Trail....

With people saying that they hiked the AT or the Long trail or the like it's an attempt to set a prospective or a goal for ones self. I don't see the need for MITA to do that as on can already that they have paddled from FL to Canada or from Y to Z. If someone tells you that they paddled from Miami FL to Eastport Maine you know what they did.

I am just glad that MITA is doing what they do and I am glad that the club is helping them out.

-Jason

Good points. Does the word Trail in MITA's name mislead newcomers?

With people saying that they hiked the AT or the Long trail or the like it's an attempt to set a prospective or a goal for ones self. I don't see the need for MITA to do that as on can already that they have paddled from FL to Canada or from Y to Z. If someone tells you that they paddled from Miami FL to Eastport Maine you know what they did.

I am just glad that MITA is doing what they do and I am glad that the club is helping them out.

-Jason

Great discussion about the Maine Island Trail. The NSPN message board is a great place to ask questions and discuss MITA as there are many long-term members within the NSPN community.

A few thoughts:

The Maine Island Trail really was conceived as a Trail: it was meant to make it possible paddle the Maine coast, stopping and camping on islands. Over the 21 years since the Trail was launched, we've largely filled in the coast to make that possible: as Jason says, it's entirely feasible to paddle and camp the entire way. The official Trail today stretches from Kittery to Machias. There are two stretches where gaps make for some long days: southern Maine (Kittery to Casco Bay) and the Bold Coast (Machias to Eastport). Members of this club have done both stretches unsupported, but they are a challenge.

The good news is that MITA is actively working on filling in the gaps, particularly downeast and in southern Maine. We have an active community-based initiative in Cobscook Bay (around Quoddy Head from the Bold Coast), so we hope the Trail will soon stretch from NH border to Canada. Over the past three years, we've added 15 islands south of Portland. This year, we are talking to people along the southern coast about the potential for further island and mainland sites. Every year the Trail adds sites: in the new 2010 Guidebook, there are something like 185 places to stop. While the core of the Trail is wild islands, over the years we have included some mainland sites (including a few drive-in campgrounds) to fill gaps and as a convenience to paddlers.

The purpose of the Trail is to provide access: it's up to users to travel the coast in the manner their skills and interests dictate. Because it's the ocean and not land, its up to each boater to rely on their own seamanship to determine their route, so the location of the Trail is as varied as the people who boat the coast. Most of MITA's members do day trips or short camping trips, much like the vast majority of hikers do the AT. But every year, some do the through paddle and many others do long stretches. The Trail is designed exactly for that purpose.

To answer the direction question, most paddlers travel west to east because the prevailing winds in the summer season are southwesterlies, which is more or less the orientation of the Maine coast.

MITA is not in the business of attracting boaters to Maine. Rather we aspire to reach out to those who already boat along the coast to join with MITA in supporting access and stewardship. We do not favor through paddlers over short trippers, nor do we certify people who complete the Trail. Occasionally, through paddlers are highlighted in the MITA newsletter or online, but stewardship volunteers and member experiences are much more likely to be featured. As for the potential safety risks, MITA does provide boating safety information in the Guide and online, with particular callouts for danger areas along the coast. However, as with NSPN's CAM model, MITA makes it clear that each boater is the captain of their own boat--so it behooves people to know what they are doing before venturing out.

Also, while the majority of MITA members are kayakers, about a third travel in other boats. Something like 25% of members are big boaters: sailboats, power cruisers and a few converted lobster boats. The rest are a creative assortment of dories, row-sail boats, canoes and other small watercraft. The big boaters are some of our most loyal supporters in terms of time, effort and funding. The philosophy is to welcome all boaters as long as they understand and follow Leave No Trace ethics.

If there is interest in learning more about the Trail or where and how to paddle, we'd be glad to do a MITA workshop this spring as we did last year.

Scott Camlin

MITA Trustee

Scott

Thank You for the excellent answer and informative synopsis. I especially liked the history info on the 'trail'.

Perhaps it wasn't clear from my questions but I am personally not interested in making the trail a reality. I just like brainstorming, that's all.

Great discussion about the Maine Island Trail. The NSPN message board is a great place to ask questions and discuss MITA as there are many long-term members within the NSPN community.

A few thoughts:

The Maine Island Trail really was conceived as a Trail: it was meant to make it possible paddle the Maine coast, stopping and camping on islands. Over the 21 years since the Trail was launched, we've largely filled in the coast to make that possible: as Jason says, it's entirely feasible to paddle and camp the entire way. The official Trail today stretches from Kittery to Machias. There are two stretches where gaps make for some long days: southern Maine (Kittery to Casco Bay) and the Bold Coast (Machias to Eastport). Members of this club have done both stretches unsupported, but they are a challenge.

The good news is that MITA is actively working on filling in the gaps, particularly downeast and in southern Maine. We have an active community-based initiative in Cobscook Bay (around Quoddy Head from the Bold Coast), so we hope the Trail will soon stretch from NH border to Canada. Over the past three years, we've added 15 islands south of Portland. This year, we are talking to people along the southern coast about the potential for further island and mainland sites. Every year the Trail adds sites: in the new 2010 Guidebook, there are something like 185 places to stop. While the core of the Trail is wild islands, over the years we have included some mainland sites (including a few drive-in campgrounds) to fill gaps and as a convenience to paddlers.

The purpose of the Trail is to provide access: it's up to users to travel the coast in the manner their skills and interests dictate. Because it's the ocean and not land, its up to each boater to rely on their own seamanship to determine their route, so the location of the Trail is as varied as the people who boat the coast. Most of MITA's members do day trips or short camping trips, much like the vast majority of hikers do the AT. But every year, some do the through paddle and many others do long stretches. The Trail is designed exactly for that purpose.

To answer the direction question, most paddlers travel west to east because the prevailing winds in the summer season are southwesterlies, which is more or less the orientation of the Maine coast.

MITA is not in the business of attracting boaters to Maine. Rather we aspire to reach out to those who already boat along the coast to join with MITA in supporting access and stewardship. We do not favor through paddlers over short trippers, nor do we certify people who complete the Trail. Occasionally, through paddlers are highlighted in the MITA newsletter or online, but stewardship volunteers and member experiences are much more likely to be featured. As for the potential safety risks, MITA does provide boating safety information in the Guide and online, with particular callouts for danger areas along the coast. However, as with NSPN's CAM model, MITA makes it clear that each boater is the captain of their own boat--so it behooves people to know what they are doing before venturing out.

Also, while the majority of MITA members are kayakers, about a third travel in other boats. Something like 25% of members are big boaters: sailboats, power cruisers and a few converted lobster boats. The rest are a creative assortment of dories, row-sail boats, canoes and other small watercraft. The big boaters are some of our most loyal supporters in terms of time, effort and funding. The philosophy is to welcome all boaters as long as they understand and follow Leave No Trace ethics.

If there is interest in learning more about the Trail or where and how to paddle, we'd be glad to do a MITA workshop this spring as we did last year.

Scott Camlin

MITA Trustee

I was in the MITA office yesterday and asked for an update on boat types to refresh my failing memory. The official figures based on a 2009 online survey of over 600 members (which may have some selection bias) are as follows:

Type of boat for visiting islands:

Kayaks 64%

Sailboats 15%

Powerboats 15%

Other 6%

So about 30% of MITA members visit in large boats.

Doug Welch wanted me to emphasize that a large number of MITA members report owning multiple boats (surprise) so large sailboaters might actually land in a kayak or a kayaker may also cruise in a large power boat. I guess most just want to be on the water.

In the office I saw the new 2010 Guide and it illustrates the point: the covers feature Owl's Head Light and a sailboat towing a dingy.

By the way, the first batch of member packets with the new Guide went out last week, with more on the way this week. Because they are bulk mailed, it usually takes two to three weeks to arrive. There are six new sites on the Trail this year, including a couple of new camping islands in Casco Bay. One is within sight of the two islands NSPN adopted last year.

Scott

There are six new sites on the Trail this year, including a couple of new camping islands in Casco Bay. One is within sight of the two islands NSPN adopted last year.

In terms of time to travel and aesthetics, upper Casco Bay has much to recommend it. MITA members will have some nice options in this area in 2010. To me it has the feel of Muscongus, but without the drive. Seals, eagles, and osprey are common sights.

BTW, is the club scheduling any trips to monitor its "adopted" islands?

Ed Lawson