drysuit failure....

rick stoehrer

in a long list of folks with problems with their drysuits....

we searched high and low for a drysuit that had what we wanted for janis...booties and a relief zip being high on the list. nope, no one seemed to have anything in stock that we were looking for - a palm stikine or a kokatat....so we ordered a dry suit from bomber gear out of colorado based on quick turnaround...they primarilly cater to white water paddlers and i have one of their dry tops and it's pretty great so i thought that the drysuit would be of similar qualty.

i was wrong.

the suit arrived wednesday and while it looked EXACTLY like it did on line - good looking suit really and it fit her very well, not too big, not too small, perfect...the problem is with the zippers. they are the same zipper that palm puts on their less expensive drysuit - the urethane plastic zips. great. oddly, this was NOT mentioned on line....

so we went out yesterday and tested the drysuit....paddled out to straitsmouth and then janis did a wet exit and we got her back in her boat and then closer to shore we had her thrash around a bit...nothing like what you'd get tossed in surf, pretty much just jumping up and down in the water...and the zips FAILED! the relief zip leaked across it's entire length, the front zip failed at the shoulder and BOTH the neck and wrist gaskets leaked.

so...that's getting returned tomorrow and we are back to the drawing board for a good DRY suit.

honestly, it's seems to me that it's evident that unless it's the big metal toothed ykk zips, they are useless....the palm stikine, kokatat, i think even whites all have this zip...never had a problem with the kokatat, have not had a problem with the palm and joan was out with us yesterday and had no problem with the whites....they all share that zip....

beware the zips!

Brian mentions OS Systems in his post about gasket repair. I have heard excellent things from professional paddlers who have their dry suits and put them to hard use. Although I presently have a Kokatat, if I were in the market for a new suit I would seriously consider OS Systems. According to their website, they use the brass heavy duty zippers.

Jill

I have an OS Systems drysuit and it does have heavy-duty dive-quality brass zippers. The suit is of excellent quality throughout. OS Systems is mainly known for diving suits, so they know how to make a "DRY" suit.

OK, so I could have made a boiled dinner inside of it yesterday, there was that much moisture buildup by the end of a day of surfing Buzzards Bay in the warm sunshine, but that's because it is a non-breathable suit. I'm pretty sure they make breathable suits as well.

Mark

Rick,

Knowing my situation, you're assured I say this with utterly no malicious glee, but, welcome to the club.

I'm sure many will have something to add to the post, but, in my experience thus far, the plastic zipper - on my leaky Palm - has been just fine. My problem has been the seams. The zipper, though, on the suit when it was new, was stiff as hell until you lubed it, but, once lubed, it zipped fine. You mention the gaskets, too, however, so, you've got the works to contend with.

My soggy condolances . . .

Roger

Rick,

I got my Kokotat with the women's relief zipper from George Gronseth at the Kayak Academy in Seattle. http://www.kayakacademy.com/ He was very helpful, had lots in stock,and works directly with Kokotat. I LOVE my relief zipper and have never gotten a drop of water inside the suit. In terms of size, I was right on the cusp of small/medium ladies and George recommended getting the medium to allow for moving the zipper into a place of comfort. If I were to do it over again, I would get the legs cut to custom length, but it hasn't hindered my comfort or use of it while paddling.I may not make a fashion statement in my suit, but I have been very happy with it.

Linda

As long as you're on the subject - what do you use to lubricate the zippers? I have a kokatat, and was told that bees-wax is advisable. Only problem - I can't find bees-wax and my zippers are starting to get a little difficult (but keep me dry). I tried using PAM, but it puts some greasiness on the goretex, which I'm a bit worried about.

Sorry about your dissappointing experience.

John Huth

Zip Wax (which is bees wax - least mine is) - believe you can buy it at NESC. Probably on line too.

Yes, I would think that PAM wouldn't be a pretty sight!

Don't forget to 303 your seals and one other thing that I recently learned, hang your suit using wooden hangers NOT plastic one. Some kind of chemical reaction between the plastic hangar and the neck seals causes them to degrade.

Suz