Power planer for Greenland paddle?

I'm making a Greenland paddle out of Sitka Spruce and would like someone with a power planer to help me plane this to dimension. There is certainly a six-pack or bottle of wine in this for your help.

-Robert

I'm making a Greenland paddle out of Sitka Spruce and would like someone with a power planer to help me plane this to dimension. There is certainly a six-pack or bottle of wine in this for your help.

If you're going to be making GPs (nobody makes just one), you should proabably invest in a few tools (plane, spokeshave) and sharpening gear. It's very easy to justify it when you consider how much money you're saving by making your own paddles. As with any tools, once you own them, you'll find additional uses for them around the house.

A second to Brian's remarks. Also check out his comprehensive book on the subject: http://greenlandpaddlebook.com/ Many tips are provided for alternative methods of removing waste wood and dimensioning. My own advise is to skip the power planer and use a draw knife. Also a band saw is much more useful than a planer for this project. Failing access to a band saw careful cutting with a hand jig saw or power jig saw will do the job as well. Good luck!