looking fior moose

andynjoyce

Hi,

My husband and I are looking for a nice lake in New England to kayak or canoe that we may rent boats for a day or two and observe wildlife. We would like to visit a place that locals think is pretty but not very "commercial". I have looked at alot of vacation sites and am confused. Would anyone in your group have a suggestion of a place that we could rent a cabin or stay in a lodge and paddle on a lake to see wildlife in July or August? I love moose and have seen them in a few trips to New England in Maine ansd New HAmpshire.

We'd appreciate your input!

Joyce

Pittsburgh, PA

Hi,

My husband and I are looking for a nice lake in New England to kayak or canoe that we may rent boats for a day or two and observe wildlife. We would like to visit a place that locals think is pretty but not very "commercial". I have looked at alot of vacation sites and am confused. Would anyone in your group have a suggestion of a place that we could rent a cabin or stay in a lodge and paddle on a lake to see wildlife in July or August? I love moose and have seen them in a few trips to New England in Maine ansd New HAmpshire.

Joyce

Pittsburgh, PA

Umbagog lake in Errol NH is one option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbagog_Lake

Check out the rangeley lakes area in Maine as well.

Hi,

Joyce

Pittsburgh, PA

Umbagog Lake in Errol on the N.H -Me. border and the Connecticut Lakes in Pittsburg on the N.H. - Vt. border are both excellent for what you are looking for. Pittsburg will offer more in terms of cabins to be rented, but both should offer you excellent chances to see moose, nice waters to paddle and wonderful undeveloped shorelines to explore. You should be able to find information for both in terms of rentals on the net without much problem. Once you get to either - or destination, the locals usually are good for pointing you to the better spots for moose sightings.

Pittsburg on the N.H..... good for pointing you to the better spots for moose sightings.

They call Route 3 north of Pittsburg up to Canadian Border Moose Alley for a reason. However, logging roads and other out of the way roads in the area are great places. Best spots tend to be wallows where they munch and drink. Apparently they like wallows near roads that are salted. In summer you are likely to see mothers and calves and best to not crowd them or have a dog. Moose are active at night which means you are likely to see them in "popular" places early and late in the day, Seeing them in the woods is far better than watching them wander across roads, but not as easy and can be unexpectedly up front and personal as they move about very quietly. Nothing like bears.

Ed Lawson

Umbagog Lake in Errol on the N.H -Me. border and the Connecticut Lakes in Pittsburg on the N.H. - Vt. border are both excellent for what you are looking for. Pittsburg will offer more in terms of cabins to be rented, but both should offer you excellent chances to see moose, nice waters to paddle and wonderful undeveloped shorelines to explore. You should be able to find information for both in terms of rentals on the net without much problem. Once you get to either - or destination, the locals usually are good for pointing you to the better spots for moose sightings.

Thanks! We'll check it out!

Hi,

Joyce

Pittsburgh, PA

I have seen a lot of Moose on the Allagash. It's it's hike and wouldn't call it a day trip. As a youth we used to go up for a week or two every summer. One year we saw 49 moose and 17 deer.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...&oq=alagash

-Jason

Hi,

Joyce

Pittsburgh, PA

This site is outdated but will give you some links to various activities, lodging, restaurants, campsites etc.

http://www.greatnorthwoods.org/